PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

BigB08822
10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
It can't be Reba since they have already recorded together (Because of You, country version, which went to #2 on the country charts).

cailuj365
10-07-2010, 04:55 AM
Jive is releasing "Alright With Me" as Kris' next single.

Words cannot express how much I dislike that song. I could break out into hives when I listen to it, and I've felt that way since last November. Agggggh! I do not want this on my radio! (I choose to ignore all of the people who genuinely think this song is the best on the album. ;))

Ahem, anyway. There are at least three songs that I would have chosen over this one. *sigh*

ETA:
IIHY has gone gold now in the US. Of course, RCA is probably not going to release another single. :rolleyes: I don't understand the logic. I'm hoping they will still release something in Canada. Over 75,000 people attended Adam's concert in Montreal (part of the International Balloon Festival (http://www.ballooncanada.com/index.php/en)), breaking that event's record. He's had enough success in Canada, that I'm almost certain that anything he would release would go top 10. Do it, RCA...

Allskate
10-07-2010, 06:26 AM

Words cannot express how much I dislike that song. I could break out into hives when I listen to it, and I've felt that way since last November.

:lol: Tell us how you really feel. How can you not love this song? It's written with Joe King of The Fray, so it's got to be just as good as The Truth by Pat Monahan. ;)

Ahem, anyway. There are at least three songs that I would have chosen over this one. *sigh*

Which would you have chosen? I like Alright With Me, but for some reason I think of it as more of a summer song. I think I would have chosen Can't Stay Away From You as the next single.

Estimated first week sales for Archie are 25,000. :(

Lee's first single is coming out soon. I wonder when we'll get Crystal's single.

cailuj365
10-07-2010, 05:12 PM
How can you not love this song? It's written with Joe King of The Fray, so it's got to be just as good as The Truth by Pat Monahan. ;)
:lol:

Which would you have chosen? I like Alright With Me, but for some reason I think of it as more of a summer song. I think I would have chosen Can't Stay Away From You as the next single.

I would have chosen "Written All Over My Face" or "Can't Stay Away." Maybe even "Before We Come Undone" or release "Send Me All Your Angels" as a single. LLWD was a popular song, and WAOMF sounds very similar (probably because they're written by the same group). Catchy, hooky, upbeat. Same goes for "Can't Stay Away." Trying to deviate from the sound that gave you your first hit with the next single usually backfires, I think, because that's not what people liked you for. (Same reason why I wanted "Sleepwalker" for Adam before IIHY was released.)

I suppose AWM has a sound more suited for the summer, but I can't stand it for any season. Those jangly guitars and horns and "Yea, Yea, Yea"s give me the opposite of ear candy.

Estimated first week sales for Archie are 25,000. :(
Not surprised. Almost no one knew this was coming out and none of his singles have been really working.

PeterG
10-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Words cannot express how much I dislike that song. I could break out into hives when I listen to it, and I've felt that way since last November. Agggggh! I do not want this on my radio! (I choose to ignore all of the people who genuinely think this song is the best on the album. ;))

:rofl:

cailuj365 thinks Kris is going to get radio airplay.

:lol:

That is so cute.

:P

Allskate
10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
LLWD was a popular song, and WAOMF sounds very similar (probably because they're written by the same group). Catchy, hooky, upbeat. Same goes for "Can't Stay Away." Trying to deviate from the sound that gave you your first hit with the next single usually backfires, I think, because that's not what people liked you for.

AWM is catchy, hooky, and upbeat. ;) The Truth actually got some radio play, so I'm sure the new single will get at least some radio play. But I assume we'll get some major releases soon because it's that time of the year, so radio play will be tough.

Lee is announcing his single today. For his sake, I hope they made a good choice. (I'm sure they took care of any pitch and phrasing problems in the studio, so the real issue will be the song itself.)

cailuj365
10-07-2010, 10:52 PM
AWM is catchy, hooky, and upbeat. ;) The Truth actually got some radio play, so I'm sure the new single will get at least some radio play. But I assume we'll get some major releases soon because it's that time of the year, so radio play will be tough.

No, there's something childish about AWM that I cannot get over. Everything about the melodic structure, "Yea, yea, yea, yea"s, and the non-enunciation of the words irk me. No, I just can't....

The Truth didn't actually receive that much airplay. At its peak, it had a total audience impression of 5 million. Songs at that position usually get around 10 million, and the chart was weaker than it is now. As a result, TT never made a significant sales impact. I expect that AWM would at least do as well as TT, but it's not a particularly high threshold to pass. HAC seems pretty competitive right now, but maybe by the time AWM gets an adds date, it will be better. I know most new releases are coming out on pop rather HAC, and I'm guessing Jive will go for HAC first.

Allskate
10-08-2010, 12:46 AM
The Truth didn't actually receive that much airplay.

I know. That's why I said "some" and then said that radio play would be tough. Peter was mocking you for thinking that it would get any airplay. If even The Truth could get some airplay, I think that AWM will get some. And I know you think it's annoying and juvenile, but have you heard "Hey Soul Sister?" I don't see how anyone could have avoided it because it gets tons of radio play. It will get at least a little airplay.

Lee's new single comes out next Wednesday. I'll be curious to see which radio stations play it because it sounds like he's going for the genre that Crystal is targeting -- that AAA market we were talking about. His press release says:

Working with top-notch collaborators such as Toby Gad, John Shanks, and Espionage, to name a few, DeWyze co-wrote most of the songs on Live It Up, which he recorded while on the road over the summer with the American Idols Live Tour. To see my name listed in the credits on each song was really important to me because Im a songwriter DeWyze says, I also loved working with such talented writers. They all brought so much to the table and really helped me flesh out my sound.

Live It Up is an engaging blend of rootsy pop, rock and folk, anchored by DeWyzes soulful, rough-edged voice and bright-sounding acoustic guitar. I grew up listening to Simon & Garfunkel, The Mamas & the Papas, Cat Stevens, and Kris Kristofferson, DeWyze says. I love hard-edged vocals over pretty melodies thats what Im about. I really admire guys like Dave Matthews and Ray LaMontagne, and to now be on the same record label as them it just blows my mind.

Crystal must be so annoyed that he apparently didn't have to battle anyone to do this kind of album. :lol: I guess they think that a midwestern paint salesman better fits the image of folk and rootsy rock. ;)

cailuj365
10-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I LOVE Hey Soul Sister. Like, massive, on my "favorite songs" playlist love. To say that AWM is like Hey Soul Sister kills me.

Allskate
10-08-2010, 01:31 AM
I LOVE Hey Soul Sister. Like, massive, on my "favorite songs" playlist love. To say that AWM is like Hey Soul Sister kills me.

So, "yeah, yeah, yeah" bugs you, but "hey, hey, hey" doesn't? And the "jangly guitar" at the beginning? And the lyrics "I'm so obsessed, my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest" and "so gangsta, I'm so thug, you're the only one I'm dreaming of?" Those aren't annoying?

I really do see AWM as being in the same category as Soul Sister. I actually liked Soul Sister -- the first thousand times I heard it. Now I'm so sick of it.

cailuj365
10-08-2010, 01:52 AM

So, "yeah, yeah, yeah" bugs you, but "hey, hey, hey" doesn't? And the "jangly guitar" at the beginning? And the lyrics "I'm so obsessed, my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest" and "so gangsta, I'm so thug, you're the only one I'm dreaming of?" Those aren't annoying?

I really do see AWM as being in the same category as Soul Sister. I actually liked Soul Sister -- the first thousand times I heard it. Now I'm so sick of it.

YES. I even thought of HSS when I was going off about AWM, but then I listened to them both and my likes and dislikes were only reaffirmed.

PrincessLeppard
10-08-2010, 02:22 AM
I hate Hey Soul Sister. It came on my radio this morning and I knocked a cat off the bed to get to the radio and turn it off.

I can tell, based on description, that I will not be buying Lee's album.

cailuj365
10-08-2010, 02:33 AM
I hate Hey Soul Sister. It came on my radio this morning and I knocked a cat off the bed to get to the radio and turn it off.

I can tell, based on description, that I will not be buying Lee's album.

This will be me for AWM if it ever comes on my top 40 station. Coincidentally, the second time I ever heard Hey Soul Sister was when it came on the radio one morning as I was half-asleep. I laid there thinking, "Hey, this is actually pretty good." :lol: We all have our own songs that we love and hate.

Allskate
10-08-2010, 05:50 AM

:lol: I wouldn't knock the cat off the bed if the song came on, but I would gently remove him to change the station. I change the station every time it comes on. It seems like Jason Mraz had such a huge hit with "I'm Yours" that people are trying to replicate it with songs that are just kind of annoying. After a few listens, it's like saccharine overload or something.

cailuj365
10-08-2010, 06:26 AM
Now you're just twisting the dagger into my already bleeding heart, Allskate. I'm Yours is number one on my favorite songs playlist!