PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Kruss
10-01-2010, 07:36 PM
And in true fashion, the record label will release the songs she didn't write. Coz that's how they seem to roll for the Idols, unfortunately (at least on their first albums, anyway).

cailuj365
10-01-2010, 08:14 PM
And in true fashion, the record label will release the songs she didn't write. Coz that's how they seem to roll for the Idols, unfortunately (at least on their first albums, anyway).

I was thinking the same thing!

Allskate
10-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing!

Me, too. In fact, I wonder if Kris already has warned her of this.

But, since they do like to take advantage of other big names (like that mess of a single, "The Truth"), maybe we can hope for a single that features Melissa Etheridge on guitar.

BigB08822
10-02-2010, 01:00 AM
I think that is a really good compromise. I am sure the lead single will probably be one of the songs they force her to record and put on the album but she needs to just take it and get it over with. What good will it do to release a single that will go no where really fast? At least the lead single may garner her a few new fans who will also enjoy her self penned material and they will follow her throughout her career.

Allskate
10-02-2010, 07:00 PM
I am sure the lead single will probably be one of the songs they force her to record and put on the album but she needs to just take it and get it over with. What good will it do to release a single that will go no where really fast?

Um, like "The Truth?" Just because a song is written by someone else doesn't mean it will make a good single, and it's entirely possible that one of the songs that Crystal writes would be a good single. We won't know until we get the album. I'm hoping that she has come up with a good single with Melissa Etheridge or Michael Franti so that the label will be more willing to give it a shot.

BigB08822
10-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't believe Crystal is capable of coming up with a radio friendly single herself. Even if she writes with Franti or Ethridge. I am talking about top 40 radio, here, since that is undoubtedly where the label will attempt to strike even if we all know better and that life isn't all about top 40. Anyway, Crystal makes some great music but she doesn't create anything close to a top 40 sound and the only way she will have a song like that will be to work heavily with someone else and I don't mean just rearranging one of her songs. I can't look into the future but I will be SHOCKED if her first single is a song she wrote all on her own or before Idol. I am sure she will write on it but it will be more like her writing to be a preselected track done by a bigger name.

Allskate
10-04-2010, 04:55 AM
I can't look into the future but I will be SHOCKED if her first single is a song she wrote all on her own or before Idol.

Oh, I think we all will be shocked if that happens. Several of us have said it won't happen. But, that's different from what you said earlier, which was basically saying that any single involving her writing would go nowhere fast, which wouldn't necessarily be true if it were arranged right and sent to the right radio stations.

It's also not the case that her single would do well if she just recorded one given to her by Jive and tailored to top 40. That's not what she's comfortable doing, and she doesn't seem particularly good at towing the company line and just promoting something she doesn't like or believe in. And what's the point in doing a top 40 beat-oriented, manufactured song if the rest of the album is very different? That seems a stupid business plan. I can understand why she doesn't just "take it" like you said she should. It's not good for her career and she would be miserable.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Jive has learned some lessons and realizes it would be stupid to try to turn Crystal into Ke$ha or Rhianna. According to David Bendeth, he is producing Crystal's entire album, which would suggest we won't hear much, if any, top 40 music on there. That's not what he does.

cailuj365
10-04-2010, 05:07 AM
So, does she have a shot at HAC or aC radio? Apparently, AAA stations (the ones who play Sheryl Crowe, Ray LaMontagne, and Michael Franti) aren't receptive to Idol alumni. Or at least, that's what I hear.

Allskate
10-04-2010, 05:45 AM
So, does she have a shot at HAC or aC radio? Apparently, AAA stations (the ones who play Sheryl Crowe, Ray LaMontagne, and Michael Franti) aren't receptive to Idol alumni. Or at least, that's what I hear.

When she was in San Francisco for the Power to the Peaceful Festival, she performed on Alice radio. That station plays a little bit of Sheryl Crowe and Franti (and doesn't play Kesha, Usher, etc.), but are more of the Sara Bareilles, Lifehouse, Script, Pink, Train type of music. They also play music from Idols such as Kelly, Kris, and Cook. I have no doubt they would play Crystal if she had a good song that fit their format. Franti plugged Crystal on KFOG, which is the station that plays the artists you mention a lot. KFOG doesn't play many Idols. But, to be honest, none of the past Idols fit their format. How many Idols really have produced music in the vein of Ray Lamontagne and Sheryl Crowe?

I saw the Avett Brothers in concert today. I was stunned at how many people came to see them. Tens of thousands. The place was packed and overflowing. It just goes to show that you don't need to be played on top 40 radio to be really popular. You just need to play the music that suits you and get played on the stations that suit you.

BigB08822
10-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Where did the Avett Brothers play that would holds tens of thousands of seats!? I wouldn't expect them to be doing arenas unless this was some kind of festival or something with multiple artists.

cailuj365
10-04-2010, 06:08 AM
The Alice radio station is an HAC station, so that playlist makes sense. HAC and AC play a lot of music by Idols. I remember Adam doing a few interviews for that station.

KFOG is AAA. That's good that Franti plugged her. AAA is kind of a mix between HAC and more alternative artists like Franti. The reason why I said that AAA hasn't been receptive to Idols is that Nickelback and Lifehouse do chart on AAA, but for some reason, Daughtry, who I think has a pretty similar sound, has never made it on there. Maybe RCA never bothered sending Daughtry's songs for AAA adds.

I hope Crystal finds her niche.

Allskate
10-04-2010, 07:12 AM
KFOG is AAA. That's good that Franti plugged her. AAA is kind of a mix between HAC and more alternative artists like Franti. The reason why I said that AAA hasn't been receptive to Idols is that Nickelback and Lifehouse do chart on AAA, but for some reason, Daughtry, who I think has a pretty similar sound, has never made it on there. Maybe RCA never bothered sending Daughtry's songs for AAA adds.

Maybe Lifehouse and Nickelback get played on some AAA stations, but I don't think I've ever heard them on KFOG and I listen to that station a lot. If they do get play at stations like that, I don't think it's a lot. Those two get plenty of play on Alice. I see Daughtry as being more HAC, and he definitely gets plenty of play on Alice. (I think Adam is a bit more on the pop/top 40 side for them, but I have heard him on there a couple of times.)

Where did the Avett Brothers play that would holds tens of thousands of seats!? I wouldn't expect them to be doing arenas unless this was some kind of festival or something with multiple artists.

It was a festival. They were playing at the same time as some pretty popular acts. It was foggy and drizzling and getting pretty cold at dusk. But, people were literally climbing trees and rocks on the hills off to the side in order to see them because they could not fit any more people on the ground. :lol: Although the Avett Brothers do get good radio play on KFOG (and got play on their Sunday acoustic show even before they got more popular with this new album), I still was surprised to see how many fans they had. People who listen only to top 40 radio have no idea who they are, but it really doesn't matter because those aren't the people who would want to buy their album or come to their concerts.

Allskate
10-06-2010, 03:12 AM
So, it sounds like Crystal really likes her producer. Also, in her latest interview, she now says that only one of the songs on the album will be a song she didn't play a role in writing:

http://mix1051.radio.com/2010/10/05/crystal-bowersox-interview-on-the-morning-mix/

Kelly was on a tweeting frenzy last night and says that her album is almost done, but won't be out until the beginning of the year with a single out before them. Also some duets.

http://twitter.com/kelly_clarkson#

BigB08822
10-06-2010, 03:29 AM
I still don't believe Kelly when she says the single will be out this year. I would LOVE to be wrong as I want new music but it is rare to release a song so late in the year when your album drops next year. Most people avoid the holiday freeze so their singles are usually out by November at the latest. I guess they figure Kelly is a big enough name that she can easily ride out the holiday freeze and pick back up in the new year. Maybe they can play their cards a little differently and hold out on what they think is the best single to release 2nd to coincide with the album release.

Glad Crystal seems a bit happier since her rant on twitter. Maybe it was just a really bad day.

Oh, and Kelly said the duets she has on her album are with people she has never recorded with before but has sang with. It is a pretty small list for the female choice. Daughtry seems a sure thing as the male choice. People are questioning whether she would duet with 2 Idols on one album (Daughtry didn't win but still came from the same machine). If it isn't an Idol then a lot of people hope it is Melissa Etheridge (performed together on Diva's). I still think it is Carrie (she has tweeted she has some surprise projects coming up) or Fantasia.

Allskate
10-06-2010, 03:56 AM
I still don't believe Kelly when she says the single will be out this year. I would LOVE to be wrong as I want new music but it is rare to release a song so late in the year when your album drops next year.

I think you're right. They're not going to drop the single just as radio is starting to play lots of Christmas music.

Glad Crystal seems a bit happier since her rant on twitter. Maybe it was just a really bad day.

I think it was a very bad day. It was the day someone told her via twitter that the label had put her album up for pre-sale with a fall date. She seemed really taken aback by that. I don't think she had been informed of that by the label. She settled down the next day, said she knew how luck she was and that she was going to get herself an attitude adjustment. :lol:

If it isn't an Idol then a lot of people hope it is Melissa Etheridge (performed together on Diva's). I still think it is Carrie (she has tweeted she has some surprise projects coming up) or Fantasia.

Please, please, please not Fantasia. Her singing is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I think Reba is much more likely than Melissa, especially since Melissa has been working with Crystal. And didn't Kelly say at some point that there might be a little bit of country on there? But that could be Carrie. Or even Daughtry. Daughtry would be my first choice out of those.