PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]

Allskate
01-09-2011, 06:02 PM
Farmer's Daughter goes for adds in which format? AAA?

Yes. AAA. She's going to Nashville, but I'm not sure if that's necessarily for radio. She said in an interview that she may do some writing there. It seems a bit soon to be working on another album, but maybe for a sountrack or for that tv show she did a few months ago and is scheduled to air this spring?

PeterG
01-11-2011, 03:55 AM
Eight big changes coming to "American Idol"
(http://ca.news.yahoo.com/eight-big-changes-coming-american-idol-20110104-212801-284.html)

2. FASTER ELIMINATION

The elimination process is speeding up considerably; viewers at home will still shape the semifinals, but the Top 24 may go directly to 12 contestants -- or 15, as producers are still mulling over a final number.

3. ONLINE VOTING

The voting procedure will be overhauled. Plans are in the works for an online integration that would include bonus content and the ability to vote with a click.
The last four points in the article are interesting as well: original songs, strong re-working of the theme weeks, possibility of music videos and faster releases of music (which they seemed to avoid in previous seasons as sales numbers showed the leaders popularity, which takes away from the suspense of who gets eliminated).

BigB08822
01-11-2011, 04:36 AM
The popularity has nothing to do with the releases of the music. iTunes, in particular, did not show any of the Idol's songs on their singles charts nor did they show their popularity bars. So I don't think that is why they never released songs immediately.

The Faster Elimination point got my heart a puttering but it is a big let down. I thought that would mean shorter elimination shows, with them being only 30 minutes instead of a full hour with horrible crap performances to torture us, including badly lipsynched group numbers.

Allskate
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
The "original songs" are not songs written by the contestant. They will have "mentors" that will help them choose from original songs. I imagine that these are largely going to be songs already rejected by other artists. Since most of the contestants don't sell a whole lot of downloads, I'm guessing these are not going to be songs that anyone sees as likely to have big sales potential. And they could be really cheesetastic. I so don't want to see a show full of Magic Rainbow songs. But, I guess it should add interest to see how bad the songs are and how well the contestants can pretend to like the songs they have to choose from.

Also, I assume these "originals" are the new music they are talking about releasing during the season. The contestants won't really have time to record anything else. They probably are going to try to take on the Glee model and release an album every week for each episode. Glee is selling huge amounts of music.

If they are going to immediately go from 24 to 12, then the audition coverage is going to be huge and will largely determine who gets through. I'd like a middle ground. Or for them to be more evenhanded in the rehearsal coverage of the top 24.

Allskate
01-15-2011, 05:19 PM
More from David Cook on his new album. It's looking like somewhere between March and May for the release:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XBpa6rCMqE&feature=player_embedded

PeterG
01-20-2011, 06:40 AM
So I liked tonight's show and enjoyed Jennifer and Steven. However...

The need for Simon's toughlove was apparent and will probably become even moreso in time. Most of the performers they put through were either somewhat affected or pageant-y/over-the-top. I miss Crystal Bowersox... :(

But it's early. We've got lots more cities of auditioner-er's. :D

Jenny
01-20-2011, 02:26 PM
I think original songs are a great idea - too often, I think that votes are influenced by the song itself, and the rendition, as opposed to the singer's talent. By mixing in a few unknown songs, people are more likely to focus on the singer.

This might also alleviate the potential for disappointment when the singer's first CD comes out, because it's often hard to warm up as fast to songs when they are unfamiliar.

nubka
01-20-2011, 03:17 PM
So I liked tonight's show and enjoyed Jennifer and Steven. However...

The need for Simon's toughlove was apparent and will probably become even moreso in time. Most of the performers they put through were either somewhat affected or pageant-y/over-the-top. I miss Crystal Bowersox... :(

But it's early. We've got lots more cities of auditioner-er's. :D

I agree! There were times when they needed Simon there to "just say no!"

BigB08822
01-21-2011, 04:20 AM
I'm enjoying the episode tonight (just now watching) more because I have the top 40 pulled up and I can see who made it and who didn't. So I can skip the stupid Hollywood group drama and just get to the semifinals.

Allskate
01-21-2011, 05:15 AM
I'm enjoying the episode tonight (just now watching) more because I have the top 40 pulled up and I can see who made it and who didn't. So I can skip the stupid Hollywood group drama and just get to the semifinals.

I agree. But, it was annoying that they ended the show with shots of a bunch of people holding golden tickets in their hands even though we hadn't seen them sing.