PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27

BigB08822
12-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I really really love Farmers Daughter and the video makes me love it that much more. Great video for Crystal, MUCH better than a lot of crap that gets put out by much bigger artists. At least this is one + for her in what has been a lot of crap, she won't hurt herself with a solid video like that.

cailuj365
12-17-2010, 01:31 AM
Ooooh, I love the video. Very nice. Love the concept.

Her son is so cute at the end. :D

taf2002
12-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Wow that was intense but beautifully done.

missing
12-18-2010, 03:28 AM
The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/idol-worship/adam-lambert-turns-heat-final-61379)reviewed the last of Adam's Glamnation concerts, and included a figure skating similie:

With that in mind, the acoustic portion of the concert, which featured an ever-so-slightly sped up version of “Whataya Want From Me,” seemed like something Adam wanted to get past quickly, as a hint of vocal fatigue set in. Then again, for Adam to strain a note is like an Olympic ice skater opting for a triple Lutz rather than a quadruple Axel, and by the time he hit the anthemic “Surefire Winners,” he had a medal in his sights and it was glittering gold.

cailuj365
12-18-2010, 04:47 AM
The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/idol-worship/adam-lambert-turns-heat-final-61379)reviewed the last of Adam's Glamnation concerts, and included a figure skating similie:

Thanks for the link! I was wondering if anyone had reviewed his final few shows. This is Adam's second THR article in a month. Much preferred over the Examiner. :D I haven't watched the videos from the show yet, but I saw that he had fog and pyro this time. Nice ending for a great tour.

By the way, Adam's EP sold about 10,000 the first week. Fans are debating whether or not RCA reported all the sales, but IMO, it's not bad either way. I'm glad it hit double digits given it wasn't new music and barely had any promo.

ETA: I just noticed that review said quadruple axel. :lol: She tried.

taf2002
12-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Does anyone else have Crystal's CD yet? This is unusual for a CD, but I actually like all the songs. This is major because I'm not much of a country fan & a lot of the songs have a country sound. She did a really good job. I wonder what her numbers are?

BTW, I had no trouble downloading from Amazon.

Allskate
12-19-2010, 06:36 PM
Adam's video for WWFM ended up number four on VH1's top videos for the year. That's really great!

Does anyone else have Crystal's CD yet? This is unusual for a CD, but I actually like all the songs. This is major because I'm not much of a country fan & a lot of the songs have a country sound. She did a really good job. I wonder what her numbers are?

Numbers aren't out since the week isn't over, but estimates are for about 45, 000, which isn't all that great, but also isn't that bad. I was expecting much lower numbers. She doesn't have a single out and her video hasn't be played on tv. She's gotten a little promo, but really not that much. Her label isn't going to try for radio and tv play until January.

I really like the CD. I don't hate any of the songs, but the ones I like the least are the ones that seem the least Crystal, either because they're too poppy or too country. Mild country I don't mind at all. Jewel was an early influence on Crystal and I like and can see that in songs like Arlene or Mine All Mine. And I really liked her performance of Farmer's Daughter on Leno, which was probably slightly more country than the album version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wc-sTPMjOo

It's the kind of honky-tonk influence on a couple of songs, like Riding With the Radio that I'm not thrilled about. Part of that has to do with the fact that I'd heard her play her original arrangment of the song and prefer that, especially the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUmTWuGZltw

I really like Crystal's arrangements of her songs that I've heard from her before the album, from Farmer's Daughter to Speak Now to some songs that didn't make the album, so I'm hoping she puts out a live and acoustic CD like Adam did.

Allskate
12-21-2010, 04:29 AM
So, apparently Crystal sold 53,000 her first week, which is more than initial estimates (and definitely more than my estimates. :lol: )

Unfortunately, Crystal's official website and sales are still screwed up. People who pre-ordered early still haven't received their albums and aren't getting much of a response.

Crystal's manager is beyond frustrated with Sony. They not only screwed up with the sales of the CD, but also were late in launching Crystal's new web site, which wasn't launched until today. According to Gina, there are politics with Sony. I don't think these politics are limited to Crystal or Jive. It sounds like a lot of Sony's artists, or at least the AI-related ones have been having problems with Sony. Maybe it's all the personnel changes. But, rumor has it that Kelly is going to delay the release of her album to wait for things to shake out and clear up over at Sony. Bummer for all the artists. :(

Oh, and I think Crystal finally might have convinced Jive to let go of Hold On as a single. Gina says Crystal will be going for AAA and country (with a trip to Nashville next month.)

cailuj365
12-21-2010, 05:08 AM
I just came here to post her sales, but you beat me to it! I think those are really good for Crystal. Way more than my estimates too. :cheer: I think all of the pre-orders are still counted for though in the sales count for this week. According to Brian Mansfield at Idol Chatter, it's a matter of whether or not Sony reported them, not whether or not they have actually shipped.

I'm glad that they're focusing on one single. It's good not to waste resources on another song, especially since there's probably not a huge budget for her anyway.

Maybe Sony no longer cares about AI since they're no longer tied to the show.

BigB08822
12-21-2010, 05:25 AM
Kelly mentioned at a recent benefit concert that her album is done but she currently has no boss so the release date is uncertain. Not sure if that is the same as her delaying it, I don't really think she has that kind of control if the tracks are already recorded. Anyway, apparently one of the big head honchos is leaving at the end of this year and it is unclear how things will work with the new guy. I don't even know if they know who the replacement is but is sounds like she wants to wait for him/her to come in and then get to know each other and come up with a plan for the release. I think this is really smart because she knows planning anything now could all be a big waste of time. I'm expecting a late spring/summer release, probably May or June.

cailuj365
12-21-2010, 06:20 AM
I think May/June too for Kelly. Avril is probably RCA's big release for the earlier months of the year.

Barry Weiss, the CEO of RCA/Jive, is leaving for Universal. I heard that one of Jive's A&R guys is also leaving for Warner. ETA: Okay, that Billboard Biz website is really quite interesting. The A&R guy leaving is Jeff Fenster, who was in charge of A&R for all the American Idol alums on Jive. As a Hanson fan, I can tell you that Jeff Fenster SUCKS, and his suckage can be seen in Hanson's documentary, Strong Enough to Break. I would actually call him leaving a win.

Article on the Sony corporate politics fight (http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/news/e3i2878352c385d4321d21d0216301aa5c2)
Hmm, looks like the Sony Music Entertainment CEO is leaving too.

Wow, totally a good time for AI to leave Sony for Universal. Interscope definitely has the best reputation with radio right now. Hopefully, Sony can hire some good people to replace all of these critical positions.

ETA: Oh hey, while on that site, I found an article about Crystal possibly doing Bonnaroo! (http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/touring/bowersox-bonnaroo-bound-1004135059.story) She's going to SXSW too? Nice!

Allskate
12-21-2010, 07:08 AM
Wow, totally a good time for AI to leave Sony for Universal.

Except, aren't these guys leaving for Universal, and does AI really want to work with these guys?

ETA: Oh hey, while on that site, I found an article about Crystal possibly doing Bonnaroo! (http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/touring/bowersox-bonnaroo-bound-1004135059.story) She's going to SXSW too? Nice!

It sounds like someone at Jive wants her there, but it's not a done deal. Plus, who knows who is really in charge of things for Crystal at Jive. My guess is that the person pushing for Bonnaroo is not one of the people pushing for "Hold On" or "Lonely" as a single. The only thing that would make Crystal a candidate for Bonnaroo is the idea that she's a genuine singer/songrwriter, not a product of a music machine -- Jive promoting a Kara D./Chad Kroeger generic song to HAC or CHR doesn't really do that for her. But, I have a feeling that it's Crystal and her manager that are really pushing for the traditionally non-AI gigs like Bonnaroo and Power to the Peaceful, and Jive is fine with it since it's cheap with just Crystal and Frankie. (Gina also seems to be handling a lot of the publicity, which isn't surprising given her background.) So, to some extent (as long as they don't screw things up with radio and single selection), Jive may not matter all that much. I think most of Gina's experience and contacts are in pop, but she does seem to be working to expand beyond that and it helps that Crystal is her only client right now.

It will be very interesting to see how Nashville and country music respond to Crystal.

ETA: I think the question of whether Sony reported all the sales may depend on whether they took payment. I don't think that something counts as a "sale" until the person pays for the CD and Sony is telling some of Crystal's irate fans that they don't process the credit card payments until they ship, so I'm not sure those Crystal sales count. (Whereas Amazon is happy to take my money as soon as I pre-order a CD. :lol:) But, that's probably just a relatively small percentage of sales anyway. I think the bigger problem was that so many stores didn't have it. In any event, she ended up with relatively good sales numbers and hopefully most people were able to find her CD somewhere, especially those who were buying presents for this week.

cailuj365
12-21-2010, 06:04 PM
AI seems to be in collaboration with Jimmy Iovine from Interscope though, and he's staying put. Weiss isn't involved there, and Fenster is not going to Universal.

I did hear that the Universal Music Group CEO is going to be the new Sony CEO though....no word on who the RCA/Jive Chairman will be.

I just hope things work out for Crystal and she gets the gigs she wants. I'd like to see her do well.

PeterG
01-01-2011, 06:33 PM
American Idol Names Ray Chew as New Music Director (http://omg.yahoo.com/news/american-idol-names-ray-chew-as-new-music-director/53211)

Chew, 42, has previously worked as bandleader and musical director for the competition series The Singing Bee and NBC's It's Showtime at the Apollo. He also curated the music for the 2008 Democratic National Convention and the 2009 inaugural ball for President Barack Obama.

More new blood! :cheer2: :D

Aside from the new faces at the judging table, Chew also joins Idol's new music mentor, producer and record company chairman Jimmy Iovine.

Season 10 of American Idol premieres on Wednesday, Jan. 19 at 8/7c on Fox.

I might be wrong...but I think this might be one of the best seasons of American Idol ever! :cheer:

PrincessLeppard
01-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Well, it can't be worse than last season.

Can it?