PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27

cailuj365
12-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Have you guys seen the list of producers working with the AI contestants this season?

http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-hopefuls-working-with-top-producers-in-las-vegas.htm

Alex da Kid (also produced "Airplanes") is hot right now, but that whole list heavily skews to rhythmic/pop. Reactions?

Allskate
12-14-2010, 04:11 PM
ETA: Crystal's album drops today!

Have you guys seen the list of producers working with the AI contestants this season?

http://mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-10-hopefuls-working-with-top-producers-in-las-vegas.htm

Alex da Kid (also produced "Airplanes") is hot right now, but that whole list heavily skews to rhythmic/pop. Reactions?

Yep. I saw the list in the EW article: "Alex da Kid (who produced Eminem’s megahit “Love the Way You Lie” featuring Rihanna), Christopher “Tricky” Stewart (Justin Bieber’s “Baby” featuring Ludacris, Beyoncé’s “Single Ladies”, Rihanna’s “Umbrella”), Rodney “Darkchild” Jerkins (Lady Gaga’s “Telephone” featuring Beyoncé, the Pussycat Doll’s “When I Grow Up”), Polow da Dawn (several Keri Hilson tracks, including “Turnin’ Me On” featuring Lil Wayne), and Jim Jonsin (Nelly’s “Just a Dream”, T.I.’s “Whatever You Like”). "

My reaction was the same as yours. The list skews very heavily towards rhythmic/pop and it's pretty clear what kind of artist they're looking for this season. It's a bummer. I hope several others sneak through. I'm already cringing thinking about people trying to sing and dance like Beyonce. I'm hoping, though, that they are willing to lay out the cash for more recent songs and a greater variety of good songs.

cailuj365
12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm already cringing thinking about people trying to sing and dance like Beyonce.

:lol: I'm intrigued by this list, because I like a lot of the songs that they've worked on, but I'm also cringing at them trying to transform amateur AI contestants into some rhythmic/pop star, especially if it's not natural to them.

BigB08822
12-14-2010, 05:58 PM
I heard about a possible new show called The Voice. It is apparently originally from Holland and the concept is that people sing for 4 judges but they can not be seen or known The judges then have to vote them through or not based solely on their voice. If they vote them through then they are revealed and they go on to be mentored by that judge for the remainder of the competition. If more than one judge picks a voice then the singer gets to chose between the judges that picked them. It will still be a reality competition but at least this sounds like actual singing has a good deal to do with it!

Allskate
12-15-2010, 03:50 AM
:lol: I'm intrigued by this list, because I like a lot of the songs that they've worked on, but I'm also cringing at them trying to transform amateur AI contestants into some rhythmic/pop star, especially if it's not natural to them.

I am assuming that they're picking contestants they think will fit that mold and will do the best with these kinds of songs and performances, but I think we still will have a lot of trainwrecks. I also think it might get boring if they've chosen too many of these types of singers. These are not the kinds of songs I'm generally interested in hearing. Don't mind one or two, but don't want a season full of mostly this kind of music.

I'll be curious to see what the new label does with the Idols compared to RCA/Jive. I hope they have their stuff together better than RCA and Jive do. You thought RCA's official Adam site screwed up with the acoustic pre-orders? Jive really screwed up with Crystal's albums. People couldn't download their pre-orders from the official site. Then, to make matters worse, it turned out the Target and Walmart didn't get the CD. Her numbers are going to be sad. :(

I heard about a possible new show called The Voice. It is apparently originally from Holland and the concept is that people sing for 4 judges but they can not be seen or known The judges then have to vote them through or not based solely on their voice. If they vote them through then they are revealed and they go on to be mentored by that judge for the remainder of the competition. If more than one judge picks a voice then the singer gets to chose between the judges that picked them. It will still be a reality competition but at least this sounds like actual singing has a good deal to do with it!

Do the producers also choose the contestants to present to the judges blindly? If not, and if there are all sorts of other ways to play up looks, personality, and backstory after the initial selection, then I doubt it will be much more focused on the singing.

cailuj365
12-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Jive really screwed up with Crystal's albums. People couldn't download their pre-orders from the official site. Then, to make matters worse, it turned out the Target and Walmart didn't get the CD. Her numbers are going to be sad.

What??? You're kidding!! :eek: Do you have a source?

RCA and Jive both use the Sony MyDirect system for their digital store sales, and it's really weak and has been backlogged or something. But Target and Walmart not getting it is not good. Did Jive fail to ship it out to them entirely or did they get lost/delayed in transit?

For anyone who wanted a physical CD but didn't get one, the "2nd edition" of Adam's acoustic EP (basically just a spine color change) was released today.

Allskate
12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
What??? You're kidding!! :eek: Do you have a source?

Crystal's manager, who until recently worked for Jive, said that there was a "glitch." The albums weren't even available for online order from Target and Walmart and definitely no downloading. It's not clear whether some brick and mortar stores may have received them, but Gina was collecting the store numbers from all the upset fans who were tweeting complaints that they couldn't get the CD from Target or Walmart, and she was trying to troubleshoot from the road and plane. It sounds like some of the Best Buy stores ran out, maybe because people couldn't get them at other stores? She says that stores should be able to be stocked within 24 hours. Hopefully they've taken care of whatever the "glitch" was.

cailuj365
12-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Yeah, hmm. Hopefully, they'll get in all of the shipments. Not getting enough physical CDs shipped to the stores has been a problem for a lot of artists. I know that Adam has had a lot of restocking issues, and Nelly just went on a twitter rant recently about how his label didn't ship out enough for his last album release.

Oh, and I finally received the acoustic EP. Good thing too, because I leave for home tomorrow.

Allskate
12-16-2010, 01:21 AM
It sounds like a big chunk of stores didn't get any of Crystal's CDs at all. Maybe the people who couldn't buy at those stores ended up ordering from Amazon. Amazon is now telling people that there will be a slight delay in shipping if you are ordering Crystal's CD. Or maybe they just underestimated demand. Based on first day sales, estimates for Crystal's first week sales are 45-50k, which is about double what I was expecting. I thought her fans generally were more casual and wouldn't even know she was releasing a CD this week.

Hopefully she'll get a bit of a spike when she releases her single and video in January and gets a couple more tv appearances. R&K kind of was a bit nutty, but she'll be on Ellen tomorrow and that should be good.

Cailuj, is that new edition of Adam's acoustic CD available only from his official site?

cailuj365
12-16-2010, 04:51 AM
Cailuj, is that new edition of Adam's acoustic CD available only from his official site?

For a physical copy, yes. You can also get the digital download from iTunes or Amazon. There's been a huge delay in shipping out the EPs. Many are just now receiving them, but many orders also got canceled or haven't been shipped yet. Whoever is running Sony's music store needs to get a more efficient process going. There's been a lot of hassle lately.

taf2002
12-16-2010, 05:30 PM
For a physical copy, yes. You can also get the digital download from iTunes or Amazon. There's been a huge delay in shipping out the EPs. Many are just now receiving them, but many orders also got canceled or haven't been shipped yet. Whoever is running Sony's music store needs to get a more efficient process going. There's been a lot of hassle lately.

I'm about to buy Chrystal's CD. I don't know whether to get the explicit or not. Does anyone have an opinion either way?

BigB08822
12-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I would get explicit because that is the way the songs are meant to be heard and curse words do not offend me.

taf2002
12-16-2010, 05:35 PM
I would get explicit because that is the way the songs are meant to be heard and curse words do not offend me.

Thanks!

Allskate
12-16-2010, 08:04 PM

I agree. I think the only difference between the two is the f-bomb in the Farmer's Daughter track. Maybe it's because I've been hearing it that way for a couple of months, but the phrasing and emotion just works better with the F-bomb in there. Sometimes swearing is gratuitous, but I don't think it is here.

BTW, the official video includes the f-bomb. It was put online this morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NR8tH9tDGQ&feature=player_embedded

She said that she wanted the ending to show that she had healed, broken the cycle, and moved on, and I think she accomplished that beautifully. I like the unraveling/knitting together imagery. This could have been a very graphic and melodramatic video, but they showed beautiful restraint. I'm glad they didn't include a scene of her drunken mother swinging a chair at her; the image of the cast was enough. I think it's a powerful video even without one image of violence.

taf2002
12-16-2010, 10:38 PM
I downloaded the CD today from Amazon. I think I was supposed to get a digital booklet...I didn't. However 12 songs for $9.99 is pretty good.