PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27

cailuj365
12-10-2010, 04:49 AM
They definitely lived in the same house in Season 8. That's how the whole "Kradam" thing started because Adam and Kris were roommates. :rofl: I don't remember if they did for Season 9, but I want to say yes.

And yes, Kelly going country would seem natural a few years down the road.

Allskate
12-10-2010, 05:18 AM
I don't think they shared a house last season. Some seasons they have been. Some seasons they were in apartments.

My impression is that the plan for this season is to show more of the contestants in the house together. We never really have seen a lot of that. I'd prefer that they leave that kind of thing to Fantasia. They seem to be moving more and more towards backstories and personalities driving the show instead of singing talent.

BigB08822
12-10-2010, 05:29 AM
I agree, this seems to be more about personalities and less about talent. That is what I don't like about this show as of late. They spend more time telling us who to vote for instead of giving the contestants more time to earn our vote.

Kruss
12-10-2010, 05:40 PM
That's because it's not a singing contest, it's a reality show. And it took me several seasons to finally figure that out.

Yes, they find good (sometimes great) singers, but when it all comes down to it, it's a reality show.

BigB08822
12-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I have just always had a hard time considering it a reality show because most reality shows are more full access. American Idol only lets us see the contestants within the confines of auditioning, performing on the show, etc. We don't see them very much outside of the show with the exception of them going home but that is only the final 3. We do get 15 second clips of them talking about their life or maybe a clip of their family being interviewed but it is nothing like Survivor, Big Brother, Amazing Race and other shows where they are being filmed basically 24/7 and anything that occurs is fair game. So I know technically it is a reality show but it doesn't feel like a true reality show to me and I wish it would be a show about talent; singing and performing. They took a bigger step towards reality show with this decision and I guess I was holding out hope that they could swing back more towards talent competition.

Allskate
12-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I've always put shows like Idol and SYTYCD in a different category from shows like The Read Housewives or Jersey Shore. But, I've also been aware that Nigel Lythgoe is driven largely by personality and backstory. You can tell by the decisions he makes and the things he says as judge on SYTYCD. He definitely makes backstory, looks, and personality a priority over talent. And I think he's going to be bringing that to Idol more. He said a couple of months ago that he wants us to get to know the contestants before we start voting on them, and now he's talking about having the contestants get twitter accounts, which really has nothing to do with singing. Add in house drama, and we're moving further and further away from a talent competition and more towards bogus "reality" tv.

And it's unfortunate not just for those of us who like to see and hear talented contestants, but also for contestants who badly want a recording and singing career. I also wonder if they are going to start to turn off people who are only interested in the music and don't want to be on some show where they're on camera in their "home."

Kruss
12-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Believe me, I want it to be a real singing competition, and to some extent it is. But think about it - producers "cast" those who will go through to the Big 3 judging round, and the judges know what the producers want to make the show interesting. There is a diversity of contestants to supposedly appeal to everyone, and that's how these contestants are "cast".

From Top 24 on, it's the public voting, and yet there is strong speculation that at times (i.e., Season 6), the voting results had been skewed. The judges try to influence the voting public by their comments, heralding their top pick (Archie, Adam), and sometimes changing their top pick (Lee instead of Crystal) in order to get who the recording companies want to work with. Obviously, we've seen the results actually stand by how the public voted but I wonder if that's sometimes allowed in order to create a more dramatic finale (I'm talking about the "shock" finale results here.) I don't mean to be so pessimistic, but it's not 100% everything we see on TV.

Even the audition rounds are manipulated for TV to make people think that the Big 3 judges see the thousands who show up for the initial rounds of judging. Plus, the contestants earn actors' pay while they're on the show. However, I am not suggesting the contestants are 'acting' - I believe what we see of the contestants is who they are.

The biggest problem is that the producers fail to realize that this show would be a top hit if it was 100% real. They don't need to mess with how it's presented, how the kids are judged, and the results. As Allskate mentioned, many people are interested in the singing and music aspect, and could care less about the drama.

That's what I used to think the show was. Then I learned differently, and it sorta deflated a balloon for me.

Despite all this, I still enjoy it because I enjoy good singing. That is, when we actually hear it. ;)

PrincessLeppard
12-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I agree with everything you said, except about who the "chosen" one was in the Kris/Adam season. Given that Danny Gokey kept putting up all kinds of craptacular performances and then was totally overpraised for it, he was the one they wanted to win. You can't tell me that giant turd of a song "No Boundaries" wasn't written with him in mind.

If you disagree, I will be forced to post "The Scream." :EVILLE:

;)

Allskate
12-10-2010, 07:07 PM
I think the producers very much wanted a Danny/Adam finale and would have been very happy if Adam had won. And Danny is a great example of how they have been using backstory as a big element of the show. Danny certainly helped them, but they also chose to repeatedly let us know about his dead wife.

I thought it was interesting that, in an interview yesterday, Crystal said that she deliberately chose not to tell the producers about a lot of the things she had to deal with in the past and basically didn't want to be presented as a sob story. They obviously did mention her son and how much she missed him, but there clearly is a lot more material she and they could have used. I do wonder if she would have done better if she milked some of that stuff. It might have countered what a lot of people viewed as an off-putting personality.

Or, she could have just decided not to show any personality. I think a lot of the contestants who have been watching the show for years realize that it's better to kind of not show their personality and just come across as sweet, quiet, and humble (or even insecure). That's probably something the producers have to struggle with. Too many savvy contestants.

Kruss
12-11-2010, 04:20 AM
I agree with everything you said, except about who the "chosen" one was in the Kris/Adam season. Given that Danny Gokey kept putting up all kinds of craptacular performances and then was totally overpraised for it, he was the one they wanted to win. You can't tell me that giant turd of a song "No Boundaries" wasn't written with him in mind.

If you disagree, I will be forced to post "The Scream." :EVILLE:

;)

I do disagree, definitely think that by the end they were pimping Adam all the way. The huge production numbers, the entry to the stage walking down white stairs bathed in light, Katy Perry and her "Adam Lambert" cape as she performed a few weeks before the finale, Simon saying on one of the late night shows that Adam should win. Pointed remarks (as I remember) on final 2 night basically telling us to vote for Adam. Don't tell me he wasn't the chosen one. Many people saw it that way as well, and many (including me) were totally turned off by the extreme pimping. It was sickening to me, and not fair to Adam since he is extremely talented. Obviously I had no problem with Kris's win - I voted for him and was glad he won.

But my point is, Adam didn't need the pimping. Basically, no one should need it. Let them sing and let it stand on its own merit. That's what bugs me about this show - the producers trying to tell us who we should like. Sort of like the record companies telling us what we want to hear. But that's another rant.

As for "the scream", I do find it rather funny that Danny himself tweeted a "What the heck was that? I swear it worked in rehearsal" comment and made fun of himself for the results. Had to give him credit for snarking his own epic mistake. :lol:

Allskate
12-11-2010, 06:26 PM
As for "the scream", I do find it rather funny that Danny himself tweeted a "What the heck was that? I swear it worked in rehearsal" comment and made fun of himself for the results. Had to give him credit for snarking his own epic mistake. :lol:

I can't give him much credit for that because I think he pretty much had to be told by others that he sucked and to laugh it off. The night of his performance he insisted he did a great job.

Crystal was on Leno last night and performed Farmer's Daughter. So, it's clear that, at least for tv appearances, that's the song she's going to do. And she did a great job. She just has to get used to looking at the camera again.

Lyndsey Parker has done a Reality Rocks interview of Crystal. Lyndsey obviously isn't shy about asking personal questions. :lol: Now Harry Connick will finally know what Crystal was thinking when she sang "Summer Wind." :D Her wedding ring is pretty cool. Here's the link:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/409836/crystal-bowersox-the-reality-rocks-interview-pt-2/

shuilee
12-11-2010, 08:47 PM
OMG IDOLATRY is no more!!!!!!!! Slezak has quit EW and moved on to TVLine.com

Idolatry is my favorite part of AI9 last year. OTherwise I would have quit that season altogether. I'm so sad now.

PrincessLeppard
12-11-2010, 10:24 PM
OMG IDOLATRY is no more!!!!!!!! Slezak has quit EW and moved on to TVLine.com

Idolatry is my favorite part of AI9 last year. OTherwise I would have quit that season altogether. I'm so sad now.

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! :fragile:

One of my favorite episodes, that I watch whenever I need a pick me up, is when Kristen with Glasses breaks into the studio and broadcasts a special message to Danny. :rofl:

Allskate
12-11-2010, 10:57 PM
No Idolatry is the worst news so far about the new season! It sounds like Slezak will still be doing some AI stuff at his new job, so hopefully we'll still get some good interviews from him. But, without Kristen and the others, especially their producer, I don't think there's any way we'll be getting Idolatry. :(

cailuj365
12-12-2010, 01:31 AM
Oh no, that's so sad! Idolatry was amazing! Even if I didn't tune in last season every week, I'd still usually watch Idolatry. :D Though he's biased to certain contestants, he's one of the most informed Idol writers and interviewers. I wonder who will replace him at EW?