PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27

taf2002
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
USA Today sure liked the new "Mad World." Pick of the week (http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/2010-12-06-playlist07_N.htm) I've only heard the new recording once, but the vocal sounds really good in the Amazon clip. I think it's just which mood you prefer the song to be interpreted in. I think the AI version is beautiful and haunting, but I also like having this alternative.

I just listened again & I really don't like it at all. Why did he mess with such a beautiful song? (Although apparently I'm the only one who feels this way.)

cailuj365
12-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I just listened again & I really don't like it at all. Why did he mess with such a beautiful song? (Although apparently I'm the only one who feels this way.)

Of course you're not the only one! I'm sure tons of people prefer the first way he did it. But the slow version is far from the original version that Tears for Fears did, so he technically "messed" with it the first time around (or copied from the Donnie Darko one). TFF version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Wt3snNGoM) Like for all music, it just depends on what you prefer listening to. As for why he changed it, I think Adam gets easily bored. He did the slow Mad World all summer for the AI tour, and so he wanted to do something different for the Glam nation tour. Same thing with Whole Lotta Love. I loooove the electric version he did on the show and on the AI tour, but he's been doing a blues-y, slow version of that since early this year. I think he just didn't want to do it the same way for another 70 shows. Plus, it gives fans a chance to hear another version of their favorite songs.

I prefer the acoustic version more than the electric WWFM, though I like that one too. I think this acoustic WWFM is one of the best vocal recordings that Adam's ever done.

Allskate
12-07-2010, 06:51 PM

You're definitely not the only one. I feel the same way -- and preferred the Gary Jules version to the TFF version, too.

I think this acoustic WWFM is one of the best vocal recordings that Adam's ever done.

ITA. It's beautiful. I was never that big of a fan of his original, but this acoustic version is one of my favorite things he's ever done, probably second to his original version of Mad World.

cailuj365
12-07-2010, 07:01 PM
ITA. It's beautiful. I was never that big of a fan of his original, but this acoustic version is one of my favorite things he's ever done, probably second to his original version of Mad World.

MTE. I'm actually having a hard time deciding which one I like better. The original Mad World and the acoustic WWFM are good examples of the Adam's softer, "pretty" vocals, in contrast to the full-out, hard wailing that he does in other tracks. It's easy to forget that he can do both. I almost wish that he was nominated for this version instead of the electric version. Obviously, it wouldn't have qualified since it was released too late, but maybe the Grammys can pull a Beyonce with him and nominate it again. ;)

seafoam
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
I love this version of Aftermath, too. It has such an intimate feel to it, as opposed to the more bombastic FYE version.

I think my favorite of the faster, more driving versions of Mad World is the one he did at the showcase in Sydney during the promo tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy_DQPmrmBU

Too bad the end is cut off.

The hand movements! :) Love the beany, too.

cailuj365
12-07-2010, 10:18 PM
seafoam, I love that version! It's so powerful. I remember watching that and being so mad at the abrupt ending. Thanks for linking to it. I hadn't seen it in awhile.

PrincessLeppard
12-07-2010, 11:41 PM
I finally got the Sony site to download my songs. Gah. All this crap for a bonus track. Merde.

Listening to the speeded up version of Mad World. I love it. I also love the slow version. (Hell, I freakin' CRIED the first time he performed it on AI, and I never cry over music). I think it will depend on my mood which one I will listen to at any given time. :)

cailuj365
12-09-2010, 01:53 AM
A Kelly fan that I know is saying that she's almost certain that Kelly is going to go country after the next album. In addition to the Jason Aldean duet, she's been making appearances at the big country award shows and did something with Reba recently? If it's true, I'm kind of sad, because I love Kelly's pop songs, but if that's the genre that she wants to go in, then best of luck to her.

BigB08822
12-09-2010, 03:19 AM
A Kelly fan that I know is saying that she's almost certain that Kelly is going to go country after the next album. In addition to the Jason Aldean duet, she's been making appearances at the big country award shows and did something with Reba recently? If it's true, I'm kind of sad, because I love Kelly's pop songs, but if that's the genre that she wants to go in, then best of luck to her.

FALSE!

First of all, Kelly has another album with RCA that she must complete. They will never ever let her go country. Secondly, Kelly has said that she does not really want to "go" country right now but that she loves the genre and likes to dabble in it from time to time.

Yes, she has a duet with Jason Aldean but he asked her to be on it, she did not contact anyone about that. She made an appearance at the CMA's because she performed with Jason to premiere the duet. She showed up at the AMA's because she has been making a few tour stops with Reba and decided to go as a guest. She sat next to Reba and her husband. Her husband, by the way, is Kelly's manager. If you are wondering about Kelly and Reba, that goes WAY back to when Kelly was on Idol. Kelly met Reba on Idol and they sang a duet on the finale. Since then they remained good friends, did a duet (Because of You) and have done two tours together. Kelly still makes surprise appearances at Reba's concert and she was doing that this week, which is why she continued on to the AMA's with Reba. Lastly, Kelly and Miranda Lambert are good friends and she performed "Strawberry Wine" with Lambert at Blake Shelton's (Miranda's fiance) after party. She also sang with Reba. So yes, Kelly has good friends in the country business but no, she is not leaving pop music.

Allskate
12-09-2010, 03:54 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly includes a couple of country songs on this next album, and I wouldn't be surprised if she gradually trends more and more towards country. In general, there's more longevity in country than pop and it's increasingly easier in the United States to sell country than to sell pop. There aren't many pop singers who have the kind of longevity Reba has had. Kelly is the type of singer and person who I think would be embraced by country.

ETA: Crystal's CD is on sale for only $6.99 at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046MVVOM/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER#productPromotions

I'm tempted, but I think I'd prefer the explicit digital version.

A couple of articles discussing the background of some of Crystal's songs:

http://crystalbowersox.blogspot.com/2010/12/pre-order-crystal-bowersox-cd-and-have.html

http://www.beatweek.com/coverstory/7724-crystal-bowersox-interview-from-idol-to-farmers-daughter-to-marriage-and-beyond/

cailuj365
12-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Thank you for that thorough explanation, Brian! Why would RCA be so against Kelly going country though? As Allskate points out, it's a much better money-making genre than pop right now.

Speaking of RCA and country, I read that Taylor Swift was originally signed to RCA. However, they wanted to keep her in an artist development deal until she was 18 and then they would release a record. Taylor left for an label who would do things for her now. Hahaha, oh, RCA...

Allskate, that beatweek interview had some really good questions. It looks like they're going to push both "Hold On" and "Farmer's Daughter" at the same time, so that's why there's so much confusion. I hope the strategy works out for them like it did for Franti.

Allskate
12-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Why would RCA be so against Kelly going country though? As Allskate points out, it's a much better money-making genre than pop right now.

In the U.S that's true, but I'm not so sure internationally and Kelly does well internatinally. But, there's a reason that Gokey ended up going country even though he had never listened to country before he was on Idol.

Allskate, that beatweek interview had some really good questions. It looks like they're going to push both "Hold On" and "Farmer's Daughter" at the same time, so that's why there's so much confusion. I hope the strategy works out for them like it did for Franti.

I somehow doubt they're going to put much in the way of resources into pushing Hold On. I'm under the impression that it hasn't been received that well and it's not going to sell albums. IMO, it's a poor man' s Breakaway and there are better choices, even if they decide just to go for single sales. She hasn't been performing it at any of her appearances, though I don't think most of those appearances have been Jive gigs. It will be interesting to see what she performs in her tv appearances, which I'm sure are being paid for by Jive.

BigB08822
12-09-2010, 04:18 PM
I agree with Allskate that Kelly may trend more and more towards country but I think it will be another 5-10 years down the line. She would be smart to switch to country once her pop career is over. In pop, you are done as a female at about age 35. In country you can continue to have a career well into your 50's or even 60's. If Kelly wants to continue being in the limelight, winning awards, putting out new music that makes it on the charts, etc then she will have to switch to country eventually OR hope for a major shift in pop music. She is setting herself up nicely by making so many friends in country, that is for sure. Plus country radio has already embraced her and I think her single with Jason will go #1.

GarrAarghHrumph
12-10-2010, 01:02 AM
For next season, AI will have the top 12 live in the same house. How very original. Not. But whatever. If it adds interest, it adds interest.

BigB08822
12-10-2010, 04:17 AM
I thought they already did live in the same house. Remember the scene of Gokey and Allison having the food fight making their birthday cakes? That wasn't staged... Anyway, I could swear they did live in the same house, at least in the past at some point.