PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27

Allskate
12-03-2010, 03:55 AM
I'm thinking that Jive just wanted to have it out there early to pick up any holiday sales.

Maybe. I just don't think she'll have many sales releasing the week before Christmas with no music presence. Her manager said that Jive isn't going to push for radio until January or February after the holiday hiatus.
I guess my biggest concern is that radio will think the album is a clunker by the time there is a real radio push because the album probably will sell about 20K the first week.

According to Crystal's manager, she can't do Kimmel because he's going on hiatus for the holidays. She is going to make onto Ellen before Christmas, though. So, at least she's going to get a little exposure (plus Leno and Regis).

And, apparently, they really need some time to get their stuff together about what the single is. Jive officially has announced that Hold On is the singleand hasn't changed that. Then they made a video for Farmer's Daughter. And when KFOG played an interview with Crystal this morning, they then played RWTR which seemed to surprise Crystal, but made her very happy. :lol: We'll probably end up with Lonely as the single. :lol:

PeterG
12-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Wasn't Adam eligible for a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist? He didn't release anything before the "For Your Entertainment" CD, did he? So the nominations for best new artist are:

Justin Bieber
Drake
Florence + The Machine
Mumford & Sons
Esperanza Spalding

Grammy thinks these five will have greater careers than Adam??? :confused:

cailuj365
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Adam was always a long-shot at best for best new artist. The fact that he was included in some prediction articles for that category made me happy enough. Best male pop vocal performance was the category that he always had the most chance for.

Actually, I think all five best new artist nominees have done well in their respective genres during the past year, even if I'm not personally a fan or they haven't sold a lot of albums.

Kruss
12-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Crystal's appearance on Friday was really cool. It was only four songs, well worth staying downtown after work to catch, though. Her voice is so clear and so amazing. She played with Frankie May, and it's obvious they're a great musical pair. I was also surprised to find out she and her husband and son recently moved back to Chicago. :)

My photos (http://www.flickr.com/photos/songkat/sets/72157625524622216/).

And my two videos. Kiss Ya (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0JN4U0zN4) and Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W3vJwUxyqk) with a little flute action (she said she hasn't played since high school, and giggled when the song was over at her somewhat uneven effort. :)

Allskate
12-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Thanks for the photos and videos Kruss. That's so funny that she pulled out the flute after all those years. She and Frankie May are great together. I wonder who is going to do these tv gigs with her.

Farmer's Daughter now has an official add date of 1/10/11.

On the radio today, I heard Riding With the Radio. Fun!

Allskate
12-06-2010, 05:15 PM
Crystal's album is streaming a week early at AOL!

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/3

And Adam's acoustic EP already is available for sale!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DD1QA8?ie=UTF8&tag=mjsbigblog-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004DD1QA8

taf2002
12-06-2010, 05:39 PM
Crystal's album is streaming a week early at AOL!

http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/3

And Adam's acoustic EP already is available for sale!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DD1QA8?ie=UTF8&tag=mjsbigblog-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B004DD1QA8

Thanks for the link. I loved what I've heard of Chrystal's even though it has a country sound & I'm not all that fond of country. But it's more a crossover type album & I am definitely buying it.

On Adam's EP he finally has Mad World for sale but he rerecorded it & it's not nearly as good as the one he released during the AI season. It has a much quicker tempo that IMO takes away from the beauty of the song.

PrincessLeppard
12-06-2010, 06:39 PM
On Adam's EP he finally has Mad World for sale but he rerecorded it & it's not nearly as good as the one he released during the AI season. It has a much quicker tempo that IMO takes away from the beauty of the song.

That's the way he performed it live, at least the second time I saw him. Loved it!

Snark: I pre-ordered it from his site for instant download today. Except, apparently, 6 am (when I got up) was not yet "today." It better be "today" when I get home at 4:30....

Allskate
12-07-2010, 01:37 AM
I was also surprised to find out she and her husband and son recently moved back to Chicago. :)

This is actually kind of funny if you listen to some of the lyrics from "Speak Now" and if you know that she wrote it about Brian a few years ago. "I will never be your wife" and "I ain't ever coming back to this town they call Chicago." :lol:

Thanks for the link. I loved what I've heard of Chrystal's even though it has a country sound & I'm not all that fond of country. But it's more a crossover type album & I am definitely buying it.

It's country-tinged, but I think David Bendeth, her producer, got it right when he referred to her as the "Americana" Idol. Her album is in the same category as Ray LaMontagne, Mumford & Sons, The Avett Brothers, and even the latest Kid Rock song. It's got folk, blues, rock, pop, and country in there. It's kind of the direction the Dixie Chicks moved towards once they were blacklisted on country radio -- and that last album of theirs is the only one I like. I probably would have preferred a little less of the country influence, especially on RWTR and On the Run, but it's definitely better than I expected.

I'm really liking the album. I'd probably be even happier with it if I hadn't heard her versions of the songs before because, on a number of the songs (even FWIW), I prefer her arrangements and vocals.

I agree. Maybe I just prefer his songs to be slower. I prefer the acoustic WWFM to his original.

BigB08822
12-07-2010, 03:23 AM
I listened to most of Crystal's album. My favorites were Riding With the Radio, Farmer's Daughter and Arlene. I didn't get to some of the middle songs so maybe there is something in there I liked. Overall, not an album I would buy and nothing I can imagine hearing on any of the stations I listen to. Unfortunately this wont sell much without radio play so I don't know how long her career will be but I hope she can find some way to make it last. She shouldn't be shut out because she isn't doing what's hot, there used to be more room for all sorts of people but with album sales being what they are, that is no longer true.

PrincessLeppard
12-07-2010, 03:42 AM
Adam's new album is now NOT available for download today. Allegedly, it will be ready tomorrow.

Next time, I'm just going to wait until it's on iTunes. Stupid Sony music people. :mitchell:

cailuj365
12-07-2010, 04:16 AM
Adam's new album is now NOT available for download today. Allegedly, it will be ready tomorrow.

Next time, I'm just going to wait until it's on iTunes. Stupid Sony music people. :mitchell:

I ordered a physical copy, and I have no expectation of seeing it in my P.O. Box any time soon. I didn't even check today. :lol: I've heard all of the tracks already from a website streaming it, but it would be nice to, you know, actually have it. Aftermath is already on Adam's YT channel if you haven't heard it.

I listened to Crystal's album, and it's not really for me. I like the style to her voice, but the songs itself aren't my thing. I liked the first half of Lonely Won't Come Around, but the second half was a little too repetitive. Her original Farmer's Daughter is still my favorite. However, I know her fans are really happy with their album, so I'm glad on their behalf!

Allskate
12-07-2010, 04:52 AM

So, it's available from Amazon and Itunes, but not from his official site? :lol: Typical.

I listened to most of Crystal's album. My favorites were Riding With the Radio, Farmer's Daughter and Arlene. I didn't get to some of the middle songs so maybe there is something in there I liked.

Speak Now is my favorite of the "middle songs." Listening to some of the songs on her album has me wondering what Casey is up to with his album.

Overall, not an album I would buy and nothing I can imagine hearing on any of the stations I listen to. Unfortunately this wont sell much without radio play so I don't know how long her career will be but I hope she can find some way to make it last.

She should be able to have a career, but a lot has to do with what Jive does with her. If they pick a song like Hold On and try to get her on CHR or HAC, it will not do much for her career. Not just because that song is not one of the better songs on the album, but because it really doesn't represent who she is as a singer or person and it will just cost them a bunch of money to market to an audience that won't be particularly interested in her and make the album less financially successful. Hopefully, even if Jive doesn't do much for her, Gina will get her some gigs with AAA stations and some folk festivals. If Ray LaMontagne and Patty Griffin can have successful careers, she can too.

PrincessLeppard
12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
So, it's available from Amazon and Itunes, but not from his official site? :lol: Typical.

Now it's available. Except I keep getting an error message. I'm just going to get it from iTunes and demand a refund.

cailuj365
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
Now it's available. Except I keep getting an error message. I'm just going to get it from iTunes and demand a refund.

Sony fail. The whole website is just a clusterf*ck. Unless it's super exclusive like the physical EP, I advise just buying things from iTunes, especially for digital sales. Waaaaay easier than going through Sony.

No idea when I'll be receiving my physical copy either. Maybe I should just buy from iTunes as well? I'm in no rush though. Just hopefully it gets to me before I leave campus for the holidays.

USA Today sure liked the new "Mad World." Pick of the week (http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/reviews/2010-12-06-playlist07_N.htm) I've only heard the new recording once, but the vocal sounds really good in the Amazon clip. I think it's just which mood you prefer the song to be interpreted in. I think the AI version is beautiful and haunting, but I also like having this alternative.