PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

cailuj365
11-28-2010, 09:18 PM
If Idol goes for the next Justin Bieber then I am officially OUT! I have been threatening it for years now but maybe I have finally outgrown the show.

From a post I made awhile ago:

Yeah, I just talked to the person who auditioned, and she said that the judges for these early rounds were pretty much college kids. The only people that she saw that were let through were guitar-playing guys, country girls, Bieber clones, and random trainwrecks/joke fodder.

Allskate
11-28-2010, 10:13 PM
I think that they will limit the number of Bieber wannabes. They hopefully learned their lesson from last season that you can't have too many contestants fall into the same category. They had way too many contestants last season that would have been labeled by many as "singer-songwriter." They always throw some teens into the mix, though. Look at how far Tim Urban went despite opening with some pretty awful performances.

cailuj365
11-29-2010, 04:12 PM
Allison Iraheta and Orianthi have tweeted that they've been writing together. I totally think they should form a band. Orianthi will probably get dropped too soon, and their sum is greater than their individual parts IMO. "Don't Waste The Pretty" was my favorite out of Allison's set in July.

Allskate
12-02-2010, 04:23 AM
I'd love for Orianthi and Allison to form a band. They could be this generation's Heart. Let's hope they find a more suitable label than Jive.

Jive still hasn't released a single for Crystal and hasn't even officially announced that FD is a single.

On the bright side, Crystal will be on Leno on December 10th and will be on Regis and Kelly on December 13th. I guess she won't be on VH1 before her album drops.

Maybe Slezak can interview her when she's in NY for Regis and Kelly. Not a big audience, but I'd enjoy it. :D

missing
12-02-2010, 04:23 AM
Fantasia, Carrie and Adam all got Grammy nominations: http://www.cbs.com/specials/grammys/nominees/

cailuj365
12-02-2010, 04:33 AM
OMGGGGG. I almost forgot to check, but I just did five minutes ago, and I'm still flailing. I'm absolutely thrilled for Adam!!! I don't even care if he wins. I'm just so happy that he got nominated! He's also the first Idol alum to get nominated for male pop vocal, which is awesome.

Congrats to Fantasia and Carrie as well!

Allskate
12-02-2010, 04:52 AM
Yay for Adam! Even if Michael Jackson wins, at least Adam gets to get glammed up and go to the ceremony and all the afterparties.

As usual, though, some of the other nominations just have me scratching my head. It would have been funny if they had nominated Glee's version of Teenage Dream instead of Don't Stop Believing. (I know it wasn't eligible, but it still would have been funny considering their vocals were so much better than Katy Perry's.)

cailuj365
12-02-2010, 05:04 AM
The biggest head-scratcher for me is Susan Boyle getting nominated for "Best Pop Vocal Album" and not "Traditional Pop Vocal Album" along with Buble, Streisand, Stewart, etc.

Dr. Luke and Rob Cavallo are also nominated for producer of the year, and the works that they're nominated for include Adam's "For Your Entertainment" (Dr. Luke), and "Soaked," "Music Again," "Sure Fire Winners," and "Time For Miracles" (Cavallo).

Oh btw, Allskate, I wonder if they're not going to release FD until after the holidays so as to avoid the freeze.

Allskate
12-02-2010, 05:20 AM
The biggest head-scratcher for me is Susan Boyle getting nominated for "Best Pop Vocal Album" and not "Traditional Pop Vocal Album" along with Buble, Streisand, Stewart, etc.

Are they mutually exclusive? Maybe her label thought that she had a better chance with best pop vocal since some of the vocals in that category really aren't so good. Katy Perry, John Mayer, and Justin Bieber are not names that jump to my mind when I think of great vocals.

We're going to have an awards ceremony totally free of both Kanye and Taylor!

Oh btw, Allskate, I wonder if they're not going to release FD until after the holidays so as to avoid the freeze.

Maybe. But then they might as well have spent more time producing the album and released in February when Crystal could have had some time with the song and video out there and performed on Idol. Plus, then they could have taken the time to think about which single really was best. They've apparently already done the video.

ETA: I guess we should start a separate thread for the Grammys. I'll open one.

cailuj365
12-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Are they mutually exclusive? Maybe her label thought that she had a better chance with best pop vocal since some of the vocals in that category really aren't so good. Katy Perry, John Mayer, and Justin Bieber are not names that jump to my mind when I think of great vocals.

We're going to have an awards ceremony totally free of both Kanye and Taylor!

You're probably on to something there. Still, there has to be some criteria to define pop from traditional pop. SuBo's album has three Christian hymns and songs from a musical. She just doesn't belong in that category.

I assure you that Kanye and Taylor will both be in the audience. ;)

Maybe. But then they might as well have spent more time producing the album and released in February when Crystal could have had some time with the song and video out there and performed on Idol. Plus, then they could have taken the time to think about which single really was best. They've apparently already done the video.

I'm thinking that Jive just wanted to have it out there early to pick up any holiday sales.

Kruss
12-02-2010, 07:11 PM
No comment on the AL nom (which is a comment in and of itself).

However, I'm psyched that I get to see Crystal performing a free gig tomorrow afternoon in Chicago. :)

seafoam
12-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Really happy for Adam. That was unexpected.

He just finished his successful international tour, he got great reviews for his shows (including a rave from the London Times, which shocked me, lol) and now a Grammy nomination. Pretty sweet :cool:

BigB08822
12-03-2010, 12:57 AM
The labels get to chose which category you want to be nominated for. So when they made the submissions they had to chose between Pop or Contemporary Pop, you can't submit the same album to both. So the label made this choice and I can only assume they felt they were increasing her chances of a nomination and/or win, otherwise why bother?

cailuj365
12-03-2010, 02:26 AM
I think he has almost no chance of winning. Bruno Mars performed at the Grammy nominations concert, and he's a huge Grammy darling this year (and I'm not complaining - I actually think he's great and I bought several tracks from his album). He did a nice version of "Just The Way You Are" in front of many Grammy voters, so I don't expect this to go to Adam at all. It's just nice that he was included. RCA says that they'll push for a performance, but I think they're just saying that. I can't imagine that Adam would actually perform after being out of the spotlight for more than four months.

Brian, I definitely agree that her label thinks she has a better chance in pop than in traditional pop. My question is how did she even qualify for pop? Save for one, her entire album is full of covers that weren't even from this decade, I think. She had three hymns in there! (By the way, it's not that I wish that Adam took her spot. I'm genuinely confused, lol. Plus, RCA didn't even submit him for a nomination in this category, not sure why not.)

BigB08822
12-03-2010, 03:11 AM
I also expect Bruno Mars to win Male Pop Vocal. I am disgusted that Michael Jackson got a nomination. Would he have received this nomination if he were alive? I don't mean to be crass but it's true! If he wins then I will be even more disgusted!