PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

BigB08822
09-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Interesting, interesting...

First, please don't MAKE them dance. Encourage it for the ones who want to do it or are capable but don't force someone to dance. Kelly most certainly does not dance when she goes on tour, sure she jumps around and has a little beat going with her body but she doesn't employ back up dancers or do choreography. It isn't who she is, she is way too good of a vocalist to bother with that crap!

I am going to miss the genres, I was always excited to see what they would be and who would benefit or suffer from the weeks choice. However, they were so often so horrible that eliminating them is probably a very good idea. I hope they do encourage them to try other things from time to time, however. I don't want to see the country crooner singing the same song week after week. Hopefully they can "make" them do an uptempo here and there as well as a ballad, etc, without completely going outside of their genre and comfort zone.

I am also glad the guest mentor idea is out. I never liked it because it often lead to extremely strict theme nights. For example, Dolly Parton mentors and what do you know, we have Dolly Parton night. Not just country night, but Dolly Parton! That is WAY too specific. Glad it won't happen any more.

cailuj365
09-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Lol, the dancing thing is a little suspect. You can have the pop contestants dance, sure, if they're comfortable and have skill, but the rockers? Um...might be a little hard to manage with their guitars.

Fridge_Break
09-23-2010, 01:42 AM
I still haven't been able to bleach my brain enough to get rid of the image of Danny Gokey's "dancing."

PrincessLeppard
09-23-2010, 01:51 AM
Here, this will help.

:EVILLE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVHlTN32b8

Fridge_Break
09-23-2010, 02:06 AM
Oh god, that sounds like a freaking pterodactyl.

pollyanna
09-23-2010, 02:17 AM
Here, this will help.

:EVILLE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXVHlTN32b8

A pox on you! :lynch:

Allskate
09-23-2010, 04:12 AM
Well, if you want a really recent example, take a look at Crystal Bowersox's twitter. Girl is having major issues with Jive and is airing out some dirty laundry before her album is even released. :wideeyes:

Oh, my. :wideeyes:

I knew that she and Jive weren't seeing eye to eye, but wow. Today's tweets:

"I'm not in the loop apparently. I guess I'm just supposed to sing songs and be a lame obiedient dog. Sorry, not this woman."

"We love exactly what you do. Now do it differently. We can't have an Indy type artist on a major label. Why the bleep not?"

I hope she wins at least a few battles.

BigB08822
09-23-2010, 04:38 AM
Oh, wow! Crystal and Kelly would have a LOT to talk about I think. Get those two together, they can write a song about it all, haha!

Kruss
09-23-2010, 04:42 AM
Wait... which winners have recorded albums outside of their genre? I haven't watched all of the seasons, but I can't think of any who have been forced into something outside of their comfort zone, etc.

I personally don't think David Cook put out exactly what he wanted, and wasn't Kelly fighting for her first few albums because she wasn't able to do exactly what she wanted?

cailuj365
09-23-2010, 04:44 AM
Jive wouldn't drop Crystal before her album is released...right? She must know that Jive can and probably does read her tweets, and they can't be happy with what she's saying. And she is right that you can have an indie sound and be signed to a major label and be successful, e.g. The Decemberists. Jive is probably not the label to do that on though.

Allskate
09-23-2010, 05:06 AM
I personally don't think David Cook put out exactly what he wanted, and wasn't Kelly fighting for her first few albums because she wasn't able to do exactly what she wanted?

Oh, definitely. And Kris didn't either. But, they weren't huge departures in style from what they'd like to do.

Jive wouldn't drop Crystal before her album is released...right? She must know that Jive can and probably does read her tweets, and they can't be happy with what she's saying. And she is right that you can have an indie sound and be signed to a major label and be successful, e.g. The Decemberists. Jive is probably not the label to do that on though.

Maybe she's hoping that they'll transfer her to a different Sony label. (Isn't Ray LaMontagne on an RCA label? She's a big fan of his.) Or maybe she would just like them to drop her and let her sign with someone else. They're really not the right label for her.

PeterG
09-23-2010, 07:01 AM
And she is right that you can have an indie sound and be signed to a major label and be successful, e.g. The Decemberists. Jive is probably not the label to do that on though.

And the Indigo Girls released most of their albums through Epic (currently owned by Sony). Epic had Blondie, Boston and Brandy on their label, who are all pretty mainstream. :D

Sally1214
09-23-2010, 07:06 AM
As much as I liked Crystal on Idol, I wondered if she'd be currently viable. Apparently, Jive thinks not. Or so it seems, from the info we have available. She's definitely a throwback to the hippie era. But, then, Adam Lambert, is a throwback to the 1980s "glam era" and he seems to be doing just fine. So, who knows? Maybe, Crystal will find her niche. I hope so ... she's talented, to be sure.

PrincessLeppard
09-23-2010, 12:12 PM
Oh, definitely. And Kris didn't either. But, they weren't huge departures in style from what they'd like to do.

Exactly. It's not like either of them put out a jazz album or something.

I was not a huge fan of David's album, but it's still a mix of rock songs and ballads, just like Analog Heart.

cailuj365
09-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Maybe she's hoping that they'll transfer her to a different Sony label. (Isn't Ray LaMontagne on an RCA label? She's a big fan of his.) Or maybe she would just like them to drop her and let her sign with someone else. They're really not the right label for her.

Ray LaMontagne is with RCA. I really doubt that Crystal would be transferred there though. They've got enough work to do trying to promote Lee...

As much as I liked Crystal on Idol, I wondered if she'd be currently viable. Apparently, Jive thinks not. Or so it seems, from the info we have available. She's definitely a throwback to the hippie era. But, then, Adam Lambert, is a throwback to the 1980s "glam era" and he seems to be doing just fine. So, who knows? Maybe, Crystal will find her niche. I hope so ... she's talented, to be sure.

Being "glam" is in right now though, but being a dreadlock-haired hippie isn't. And his singles are pretty current-sounding for pop, but I don't think Crystal's would be if she gets her way. I think Jive is too focused on the pop and urban formats to realize that there are other areas for artists to become successful.