PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Allskate
11-23-2010, 03:57 AM
I heard Adam's acoustic version of WWFM and liked it better than the original. Amazon has clips up from the EP:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DD1QA8/ref=sr_1_album_7_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B004DD1QIA&qid=1290483762&sr=1-7

I think I preferred Adam's AI version of Mad World, but I'm looking forward to the others.

Crystal tweeted that she's shooting the video for Farmer's Daughter. Still no official word that the single is FD, not Hold On. :lol: But, it's looking like maybe Jive got some very weak feedback on Hold On. The first review of the album called Hold On, the only "dud" on the album:

http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/music-news-new-music/2010/11/17/crystal-bowersox-farmers-daughter.html

Lyndsey Parker makes it clear that she does not like Hold On either (but agrees with caijul about Lonely Don't Come Around):

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/406568/crystal-vision-bowersox-wows-on-debut-lp/

I'm curious to hear the album versions of Riding With the Radio and For What It's Worth because Lyndsey makes it seem like they sound very different from how Crystal has been performing them live.

BigB08822
11-23-2010, 05:07 AM
What is wrong with Jive that they are so good at picking the worst songs as singles? Are they that out of touch or is it sabotage? I don't get it.

cailuj365
11-23-2010, 07:58 AM
From the clip that I heard of "Lonely Won't Come Around," it's fine and pleasant, but it really grabs me starting with the "I feel like a little child" part. The melody there is a beautiful hook. Maybe it'd be a good second single, which would probably come out during the summer months. It sounds like a sunny, summer song. I'd love to see a video for "Farmer's Daugher." I've said this before, but the lyrics are so honest and raw. I think it'd be a sucker punch to see the story be acted out or just to see the lines being said to someone...I can see the video in my head...lol.

Jive didn't screw up as much with Crystal's single choices. At least they caught any bad feedback a month before the album release date. That's still not a lot of time as her single should ideally be out by now, but hey, it's better than the quick switch that RCA did with Lee the night before his single was supposed to come out or with Adam days before his album release. It's the second single that Jive needs to watch out for (The Truth, Scars, Elevator). :lol:

Adam's acoustic EP is available for pre-order now at his website and you can get an instant download of WWFM. The acoustic WWFM is lovely and very well-sung. He's been slowing down WWFM and speeding up Mad World for the whole tour. I think it's one of his ways of "making it his own" (I kind of hate this phrase now), since the recorded versions are close to Pink's and Gary Jule's. I prefer the AI version of Mad World too (and yes, for anyone who still wants it, I can send it to you).

Oh, and Allison is one of the people they interviewed for Adam's E! THS. I forgot to mention that earlier. No Kris, for obvious reasons, but also since Ann Powers was not exactly kind about his album during the program. :shuffle:

cailuj365
11-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Final numbers are in for Lee, and it's a sad one:

39,602. #17

That's barely bigger than Allison's debut week last year!

Allskate
11-23-2010, 10:08 PM
From the clip that I heard of "Lonely Won't Come Around," it's fine and pleasant, but it really grabs me starting with the "I feel like a little child" part. The melody there is a beautiful hook.

That's the part that got stuck in my head, too. I woke up one morning with that in my head. The next morning I woke up with "You wanna bring a friend, you just bring him. We can sing it in stereo" in my head. I guess it's a good thing I don't watch horror films just before bed. :lol:

Jive didn't screw up as much with Crystal's single choices. At least they caught any bad feedback a month before the album release date. That's still not a lot of time as her single should ideally be out by now, but hey, it's better than the quick switch that RCA did with Lee the night before his single was supposed to come out or with Adam days before his album release.

But I think the delay resulting from their stupidity is a problem. They still haven't even announced the single or released it or gone for adds. The album is going to be released in three weeks and lots of radio stations are about to change to Christmas music. Also, I think their choice of FD, while better than HO, is not going to get Crystal much radio play. Although it's an awesome song, if they are making a genuine effort at radio play, then it's not the best choice. It makes me wonder if they've just already decided she's not going to get radio play now, so just go with the best song with the most compelling story.

Also, if Lindsey Parker is right and they turned RWTR into a real country song and the album is quite country, then I have to wonder why they have done absolutely nothing to court country radio or the country audience. I'm hoping that Lindsey's got a different idea about what "country" is and that most of these songs are more southern rock or folk/Americana. I can't see Crystal alongside Miranda Lambert and Carrie and Sugarland.

Final numbers are in for Lee, and it's a sad one:

39,602. #17

That's barely bigger than Allison's debut week last year!

That's really low. :( I think Crystal will be lucky to sell in the 20-25K range, and might sell even less if she doesn't get the kind of tv exposure that Lee got. I don't think most people even know she has an album coming out. Given the likely sales numbers, maybe Jive has decided it's not even worth putting resources into radio?

BigB08822
11-24-2010, 04:12 AM
I think Crystal could match Lee's numbers but only because her album will be out during the highest sales period of the year. In the end (a year from now), I doubt she outsells Lee unless a miracle occurs and a single really takes off.

cailuj365
11-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, Crystal's single should be out now. Not sure why they're so late with this.

Avril's not an Idol alum, but she's on RCA and her album is finally coming out. Apparently, she's ticked at RCA for not releasing her album until now and says that she had finished for a year. It sounds like her single isn't what she wants necessarily either. She says it's the "most pop" and "least personal for her" and different from the rest of her album. Haha, not surprised...

phoenixflamezzz
11-25-2010, 08:26 PM
Carrie Underwood sure hit the ball out of the park from the get-go. And every week after that. Maybe this new format will get rid of the wannabe's quicker.
Carrie's performances on Idol were not all that great. I mean, there was a reason people called her farmbot.

Kelly, on the other hand, was a pro from Day 1.

RE Kris' new single, he looks like he's been doing alot of promo for it, and if Jive does decide to push it, it'll probably be after the holiday freeze.

RE Lee's sales. Yikes. I don't think Crystal will fare any better either.

Allskate
11-26-2010, 05:23 AM
I think Crystal could match Lee's numbers but only because her album will be out during the highest sales period of the year. In the end (a year from now), I doubt she outsells Lee unless a miracle occurs and a single really takes off.

It seems unlikely. Her CD isn't coming out until ten days before Christmas and a lot of people will have done their Christmas shopping already. Plus, if people don't even know the CD is out, they won't be buying it. :(

I'd love to see a video for "Farmer's Daugher." I've said this before, but the lyrics are so honest and raw. I think it'd be a sucker punch to see the story be acted out or just to see the lines being said to someone...I can see the video in my head...lol.

Crystal talked about the video with Access Hollywood:
http://www.accesshollywood.com/dish-of-salt/dish-of-salt-crystal-bowersox-discusses-farmers-daughter-music-video_videotab_1262140

Maybe they'll get it done in time for her to debut it on VH1 the weekend before the CD is released?

I heard RWTR on the radio (KFOG) while I was driving in the car today. Cool. But then I realized that it was just a clip of the version she sang for them (promo for their concert) and not from the album, and apparently Jive has not even provided them with "Farmer's Daughter." I realize that Jive probably didn't get this gig for Crystal, but they could at least take advantage of it and support it.

cailuj365
11-28-2010, 05:39 AM
America's Got Talent and Britain's Got Talent have completely whipped American Idol this year in sales. 20-somethings are no match for cat-loving 50-year-old ladies and precocious 10-year-old kids. (Jackie Evancho is really quite amazing though.)

Conclusion: American Idol needs to stop trying to find someone to break into pop and just do classical crossover.

;)

I'm obviously over simplifying things here, but still. Dang.

taf2002
11-28-2010, 04:26 PM
America's Got Talent and Britain's Got Talent have completely whipped American Idol this year in sales. 20-somethings are no match for cat-loving 50-year-old ladies and precocious 10-year-old kids. (Jackie Evancho is really quite amazing though.)

Conclusion: American Idol needs to stop trying to find someone to break into pop and just do classical crossover.

;)

Susan Boyle & Jackie Evancho make me gag.

PrincessLeppard
11-28-2010, 05:32 PM
^What taf said. :P

Or maybe we could have America's Next Great Rapper, since rap sells really well. Not that I'd watch, mind you, but if we're going strictly on sales...

cailuj365
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Susan Boyle & Jackie Evancho make me gag.

:rofl:

Last year, I quickly dismissed Susan Boyle as any competition for Adam Lambert during his album release week. My exact thought: "Psh, like anyone's going to buy that."

:wideeyes:

Allskate
11-28-2010, 07:19 PM

;)

Well, Idol is lowering the qualifying age. Of course, they're looking for a Justing Bieber, not a Jackie Evancho, but I'm really not interested in either. People like younguns who do quasi-classical. Wasn't Josh Groban still in high school when he got his big break? I wouldn't even have known that he released an album this month if I hadn't been checking the AOL streams of new CDS. (Granted, I don't like his style of music, but even by that standard, the album seemed pretty weak. I think he'll be making touring and making albums forever, though.) And there was Charlotte Church, who seems to have disappeared.

Honestly, I think Idol knows they're probably going to get a flash in the pan winner who is not going to sell a lot of albums and that's why they're focusing on the production values and drama of the show rather than the singing. These reality shows don't need a lot of talent to get good ratings.

BigB08822
11-28-2010, 07:21 PM
If Idol goes for the next Justin Bieber then I am officially OUT! I have been threatening it for years now but maybe I have finally outgrown the show.