PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

PeterG
11-19-2010, 05:51 AM
Peter, the singers themselves do not come up with the PR materials or the videos. They just appear in them.

:(

Oh...I was thinking the producers wanted to help the performers create their entire act by involving them in these things. If they plan on treating the contestants like puppets, that's not good at all. Maybe some tough chicks/steel magnolias like Kelly and Carrie will be part of their group and draw a line in the sand... :D

I see your point but what about the fact that music videos are dead, soon to be a thing of the past.

Really? I will pass that on to Lady Gaga and Beyonce! :lol:

Allskate
11-19-2010, 06:01 AM
Really? I will pass that on to Lady Gaga and Beyonce! :lol:

They're kind of the exception. They are huge international superstars. Given how little tv play most videos get and how poorly music is selling these days, it just doesn't pay to invest much in the majority of artist's videos. Have you seen the video they did for Lee's single? Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcEG72N5No8

PeterG
11-19-2010, 06:11 AM
They're kind of the exception. They are huge international superstars. Given how little tv play most videos get and how poorly music is selling these days, it just doesn't pay to invest much in the majority of artist's videos. Have you seen the video they did for Lee's single? Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcEG72N5No8

:lol:

Come on, you know that five minutes after he was announced the winner of last season, the powers that be sighed and said, "...well...we'll release a CD and them drop him from the label five weeks later. Better luck next year, gentlemen..."

Sorry Lee fans, but he can only HOPE to have the career of Kris Allen.

(Sorry Kris Allen fans...all eight of you...)

:scream:

ETA: I predict that in 2013, Lee will be one of Taylor Hicks back-up singers. Mark my word.

BigB08822
11-19-2010, 06:54 AM
Oh come on. Lee may not have a big career but he wont be singing back up for someone like Taylor! :lol: Poor, poor Taylor! I think of him and it seems like a bad dream that he won AI. He wasn't bad, far from it, but he was was never meant to win a show like AI. He should have won AGT.

Allskate
11-19-2010, 03:58 PM
:lol:

Come on, you know that five minutes after he was announced the winner of last season, the powers that be sighed and said, "...well...we'll release a CD and them drop him from the label five weeks later. Better luck next year, gentlemen..."

Sorry Lee fans, but he can only HOPE to have the career of Kris Allen.

(Sorry Kris Allen fans...all eight of you...)

Yes, Lee was a weak winner. And Kris may not be huge, but it's not like most of Jive's roster is selling tons of albums. Only a handful of artists have gone platinum this year. That's the reality of the music business. As a result of that (along with a change in how often videos are shown on television), most artists don't spend a lot of money on videos, and that is going to include most Idol winners. In fact, I don't think Jive even made a video for Kris's current single. He and his friend ended up making and tweeting a home video to the fans, though, and it's kind of cute:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7HBgIOoeVg

cailuj365
11-19-2010, 04:06 PM
I just read a comment on another board about Lee's music video:

Ain't got no carrrrrr! And 20 seconds later, he gets into a car.

:rofl:

Allskate
11-19-2010, 04:11 PM
cailuj, I noticed that, too. Plus, the entire video is pretty much the opposite of what serendipity means. But, then again, I don't think the song itself dispays much understanding of that word.

cailuj365
11-19-2010, 04:22 PM
In fact, I don't think Jive even made a video for Kris's current single.

I was already skeptical at Kris' third single getting play (and it doesn't look like it's getting much). Since Jive doesn't seem dedicated to actually push the single on radio, it doesn't seem logical that they would spend the money to create a video for it. His videos don't get a lot of online views anyway (even LLWD only has 2 million to date, and his second video has 167,000 views) for it to be worth it.

ETA: I just watched a clip of Adam doing a Jimi Hendrix cover/Whole Lotta Love. *sigh* Sometimes, I honestly wonder why he's even meddling in pop (I know the reasons), because come on, that voice shouldn't be singing something like "If I Had You."

Allskate
11-20-2010, 12:50 AM
I was already skeptical at Kris' third single getting play (and it doesn't look like it's getting much). Since Jive doesn't seem dedicated to actually push the single on radio, it doesn't seem logical that they would spend the money to create a video for it. His videos don't get a lot of online views anyway (even LLWD only has 2 million to date, and his second video has 167,000 views) for it to be worth it.

The LLWD video probably was worth it because it also got played on VH1's top 20 for quite some time and because I don't think they spent much money on it. Jive screwed up with The Truth in so many ways, I won't even go into the video.

In other news, Crystal has been added to the lineup for KFOG's concert to benefit kids. The concert benefits Toys For Tots and proceeds from tickets sales benefit an organization working to to stop bullying and harassment in schools based on sexual orientation. This is great not only because it benefits good causes, but because this pretty much guarantees that Crystal is going to get great play and promotion from KFOG. On the down side, I think tickets sold out almost as soon as they went on sale, so I won't be able to go. Oh well, at least I got to see her a few months ago.

cailuj365
11-20-2010, 01:41 AM
I meant not worth making a third video for "Alright With Me." This is looking worse than "The Truth" in terms of airplay, so no one but Kris' hardcore fans would be watching. I think it's pretty necessary to have a music video for the lead single no matter what, so I expect that Jive would agree to making one for LLWD. The song got to #10 on pop airplay too. Still, 2.5 million views is pretty small for a song that sold about 1.5 million copies, was played on VH1, and was top 10 in multiple formats. I think that means that Kris' music videos aren't a high priority on the "to watch" list for casual audiences. So if Jive isn't pushing the song so that people other than Kris' fanbase can hear, there's not a lot of incentive to spend money to make a new video.

I just watched the Kris-made video. Cute!

Allskate
11-20-2010, 02:19 AM
I meant not worth making a third video for "Alright With Me." This is looking worth than "The Truth" in terms of airplay, so no one but Kris' hardcore fans would be watching.

I don't think Jive is making any effort to get radio play for Alright With Me, so it was clear they weren't going to make a video. I think they just made it an official single to throw a bone to Kris, but they're not putting any money or other resources into it. I feel bad for him because it clearly would have been a much better choice than The Truth and could have gotten radio play with some support from them.

I just watched the Kris-made video. Cute!

Have you seen the video they did where he answers twitter questions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6QTuJd5tLA

missing
11-20-2010, 03:17 AM
Idol is moving (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40282272/ns/today-entertainment/) to Wednesday/Thursday nights.

cailuj365
11-20-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't think Jive is making any effort to get radio play for Alright With Me, so it was clear they weren't going to make a video. I think they just made it an official single to throw a bone to Kris, but they're not putting any money or other resources into it. I feel bad for him because it clearly would have been a much better choice than The Truth and could have gotten radio play with some support from them

Have you seen the video they did where he answers twitter questions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6QTuJd5tLA

I really dislike "Alright With Me" but even I think it's sad that they went with "The Truth" instead for the second single. IA that he would have done much better with an uptempo song. I haven't watched the video you linked. Does he reveal anything interesting?

I'm taking that moving AI to Wed/Thurs is so that it won't compete with Glee?

Allskate
11-20-2010, 11:58 PM
I haven't watched the video you linked. Does he reveal anything interesting??

It's more his sense of humor that comes through. Like saying that he and Justin Bieber are bros, and he takes the blame for all the plaid that is in stores now. Some of the locations where he answers the questions are pretty darn funny, too. :lol:

I'm taking that moving AI to Wed/Thurs is so that it won't compete with Glee?

AI can't compete with Glee. They are on the same network. I think it's more about not worrying about Survivor and Grey's Anatomy.

cailuj365
11-22-2010, 06:46 AM
I meant that it would interfere with Glee's timeslot on Tuesday night, so "compete" wasn't the best word. Unless I'm wrong about that too. I don't really watch TV live anymore so I never know when things are actually on... :shuffle:

Adam's E! True Hollywood Story aired last night. All 7 parts are already on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/TheIrreligious#grid/user/38349AA624AD1D82), but it's repeating throughout the week on E! I can't think of anything that was new (except for the cute baby pictures/home video), but it was a decent one-hour long special that hit the major points of his life/career.