PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

BigB08822
11-18-2010, 06:47 AM
I could care less about those horrid semi final rounds. Always hated them!! I don't like the idea of having contestants working on "promoting themselves" and coming up with "music video" ideas since that isn't the point of the show AND we all know they wont have any kind of control like that once signed. That almost seems like dangling a carrot in front of their face.

PrincessLeppard
11-18-2010, 12:04 PM
The problem with starting with a top 12, though, is that it doesn't really give us time to get to know some of the contestants, and there really isn't a chance for the contestants to have one off week.

I don't know if David Cook would've won if they had just had a top 12. Didn't Simon not even want to put him through? And then told him he had no charisma the first week?

cailuj365
11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
The music video idea and working with band/dancers sound cool...but I highly doubt that these contestants will be able to pull off "awards-style performances" at this time. I think that comes with experience. I kind of expect that to be a trainwreck...lol.

I don't see how using decades is any better than genres? It's not like that's going to help them do "current" music.

Allskate
11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't like the idea of having contestants working on "promoting themselves" and coming up with "music video" ideas since that isn't the point of the show AND we all know they wont have any kind of control like that once signed.

ITA. They don't direct and produce music videos once they win, so it's silly to have them do this. It's especially silly since people lip sync in music videos and we all know the contestants won't really have the time and control over the music videos, so they're bound to be held responsible for something for which they really didn't have that much time or control. The same is true of the dancers and production numbers, which many singers don't do or control. That plan also is targeted to help certain kinds of singers. Lots of very successful singers don't include dancers and spectacle during their performances.

Plus, the contestants are exhausted enough and already aren't spending enough time on the actual music element of the show, so why throw this kind of nonsense at them? Is it a chance for Nigel to promote some of his dancers from SYTYCD? Or is he trying to steal some of Simon's thunder?

I suspect that eliminating the top 24 is an effort to have more control over the top 12 so they have enough diversity in types of singers and people. I assume they've have more background bits during the auditions and Hollywood week since Nigel is really into that kind of stuff.

ETA: It looks like Crystal's first official single is going to be Farmer's Daughter. So, she doesn't have to do Hold On. But, it's been sounding recently like she wanted the single to be Riding with the Radio, though I don't know that Jive ever was considering that. There's an article out there that describes the recording of that song as a "country jam," so maybe the album arrangement really doesn't work as a single, which would be unfortunate.

Also, Casey is playing a gig this weekend with some songwriters. He's still in the really early phases of working on his album, but maybe he'll show a glimpse of what he's doing.

cailuj365
11-18-2010, 04:30 PM
I'm not in love with Riding with the Radio. It sounds kind of hokey to me. I far prefer Farmer's Daughter, so I'm happy.

Allskate
11-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Oh, I far prefer Farmer's Daughter to Riding with the Radio as far as which song I like better. I just don't think FD will get much radio play and that RWTR would get more, so I thing RWTR had the potential to be a better single because it could be played on HAC and AAA while FD is going to be mostly some AAA. But if they've screwed up the arrangement, maybe it wouldn't have been a good choice anyway. Also, maybe Jive is figuring that Crystal is hardly going to be getting any radio play no matter what the single is so FD is a good choice because it's the better song and is more interesting for interviews and humanizes Crystal. We'll see.

Cheylana
11-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh, I didn't know Kris was no longer singing "The Truth." Huh, he must really not like that song.
That makes two of us :shuffle:

cailuj365
11-18-2010, 09:49 PM
From what I've heard of the melody, I don't think Riding with the Radio has a big enough hook to be a big single. Someone just linked me to some of the stuff that was on hitpredictor for her. I liked the Lonely Won't Come Around clip, especially toward the end. I'm curious to hear what that sounds like.

Oh, and yes, the lyrics in FD are good. They really a paint a story of where Crystal came from, and I think she's a good songwriter.

PeterG
11-18-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't like the idea of having contestants working on "promoting themselves" and coming up with "music video" ideas since that isn't the point of the show...

The point of the show is to come up with an American Idol...a successful musical act. One that needs to promote themselves and make music videos. So I think this is a good idea.

The problem with starting with a top 12, though, is that it doesn't really give us time to get to know some of the contestants, and there really isn't a chance for the contestants to have one off week.

Isn't this how season one was done, with the end result being Kelly Clarkson? Why do we need to get to know anybody? Instead, we'd vote on who sang and performed best.

...I highly doubt that these contestants will be able to pull off "awards-style performances" at this time.

Carrie Underwood sure hit the ball out of the park from the get-go. And every week after that. Maybe this new format will get rid of the wannabe's quicker.

PrincessLeppard
11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Isn't this how season one was done, with the end result being Kelly Clarkson? Why do we need to get to know anybody? Instead, we'd vote on who sang and performed best.

I only started watching when David Cook was on. Cuz I thought he was cute. :shuffle:

I didn't express myself well. I don't really care that much if I know them as people, but I think it takes a couple of shows to get to know their musical styles and prowess, if you will.

Allskate
11-19-2010, 12:12 AM
From what I've heard of the melody, I don't think Riding with the Radio has a big enough hook to be a big single. Someone just linked me to some of the stuff that was on hitpredictor for her. I liked the Lonely Won't Come Around clip, especially toward the end. I'm curious to hear what that sounds like.

It's hard to tell with Lonely Won't Come Around because Crystal has never performed that one and Bendeth says that the final version is a lot different from that Hit Predictor clip. But, it probably would be better as a second or third single than a first one because Crystal is not the primary songwriter on that song and because someone who has heard the CD describes that song as "very poppy" and I don't know that she really wants to be introduced to the public in that way.

I didn't express myself well. I don't really care that much if I know them as people, but I think it takes a couple of shows to get to know their musical styles and prowess, if you will.

I agree. I think that some of the better singers were eliminated earlier who might not have been if they had more tv coverage. Maybe the solution is to be more evenhanded in the tv coverage during auditions and Hollywood week and show more of the singing during Hollywood week for all of the contestants.

The only other problem I see with starting with a top 12 is that it puts too much power in the hands of the judges and producers. Both Kelly and David Cook came dangerously close to not being on the show at all because Simon didn't want either one on there.

Peter, the singers themselves do not come up with the PR materials or the videos. They just appear in them. So, I don't see the point in having them compete based on this stuff, especially since I don't think they're really going to be doing most of it themselves anyway. Hell, they don't even get to choose which songs are going to be the singles. The real reason to make the videos part of the show is to mix things up and get people more interested. It doesn't have much to do with figuring out who the best singer is.

cailuj365
11-19-2010, 02:37 AM
Carrie Underwood sure hit the ball out of the park from the get-go. And every week after that. Maybe this new format will get rid of the wannabe's quicker.

I didn't watch Carrie's season, but did she ever work with dancers on the show? I don't think so... All she really does is just sing and sashay/stomp around on stage. And really, there's nothing wrong with that. You can have an "awards-show style performance" with just that, but it doesn't sound like that's what Nigel's looking for.

It's hard to tell with Lonely Won't Come Around because Crystal has never performed that one and Bendeth says that the final version is a lot different from that Hit Predictor clip. But, it probably would be better as a second or third single than a first one because Crystal is not the primary songwriter on that song and because someone who has heard the CD describes that song as "very poppy" and I don't know that she really wants to be introduced to the public in that way.

:lol: That's probably why I like it!

By the way, I heard that Crystal is going to do some acting (http://www.ainow.org/index.php/top-stories/3943-crystal-bowersox-guest-stars-in-abc-series-body-of-proof)?? Whoa...that's kind of unexpected!

BigB08822
11-19-2010, 02:59 AM
The point of the show is to come up with an American Idol...a successful musical act. One that needs to promote themselves and make music videos. So I think this is a good idea.

I see your point but what about the fact that music videos are dead, soon to be a thing of the past.

Kruss
11-19-2010, 03:14 AM
I don't see the point of them learning about how to promote themselves when RCA and Jive will do their own crappy job of it, taking it out of the hands of the artists?

They're further setting up the field to find their next Bieber/Keshia piece of garbage, that's all.

No, I'm not bitter against the recording industry. LOL!

Allskate
11-19-2010, 03:20 AM
:lol: That's probably why I like it!

:lol: And probably one of the reasons Crystal has yet to perform it. :lol: And why she wouldn't want that song introducing her to the public. I'm going to reserve judgment myself until I hear the final version and in its entirety. I like some pop. But when it crosses the line into saccharine little ditties with idiotic lyrics, I can't stomach them for very long. But, they do get radio play.

By the way, I heard that Crystal is going to do some acting (http://www.ainow.org/index.php/top-stories/3943-crystal-bowersox-guest-stars-in-abc-series-body-of-proof)?? Whoa...that's kind of unexpected!

That's fun, but I wonder what my reaction would be if someone saw me singing and responded by thinking that I'd make a good drug-crazed murderer. :lol: