PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

cailuj365
11-08-2010, 02:47 PM
ETA: Davis and White must be AI fans. They've skated to David Cook before and today they skated to WWFM.

I heard their WWFM kind of sucked though. Haha, I'm not surprised. I haven't seen the program, but I'm not huge D/W fans. I doubt their choreography was anything to write home about.

I just heard "Hold On" and "Farmer's Daughter" on Hit Predictor. Neither sounded very country to me.

I just listened to the clips...and don't kill me, but I immediately thought country. Crystal has this twang to her voice, and she sounds like she's from the South. I'm really surprised. I really didn't like the arrangement of "Farmer's Daughter" either. It was too uptempo and lost the gravity of the message to me.

I had never heard of April so I went to Amazon & listened to a couple of her songs. Yes, she has gread clarity, diction, & phrasing, but she sounds like she is singing to small children. Sure doesn't sound like anything you would hear on the radio.

:wideeyes: Sounds like she's singing to small children?!?! Her voice has a young girl quality to it, but I wouldn't say that at all. She doesn't sound like someone you hear on the radio, because she actually has an original sound.

Allskate
11-08-2010, 04:09 PM
I heard their WWFM kind of sucked though. Haha, I'm not surprised. I haven't seen the program, but I'm not huge D/W fans. I doubt their choreography was anything to write home about.

Not just "kinda." :lol: Regardless of whether you like D &W, this was not their usual quality. But, it was one of those very quickly assembled tv numbers, with actual dancers mixed in, so you can't really expect a lot.

I just listened to the clips...and don't kill me, but I immediately thought country. Crystal has this twang to her voice, and she sounds like she's from the South. I'm really surprised. I really didn't like the arrangement of "Farmer's Daughter" either. It was too uptempo and lost the gravity of the message to me.

I won't kill you. I can hear a country tinge on Farmer's Daughter, but I was fearful of a much more country sound, so I was relieved, at least in that respect. I'm still sad that they screwed so much with her arrangement of that song. It's a bummer that she didn't get her way even with one of her favorite originals. I get the sense that Jive learned nothing from their experiences with Allison and Kris. :(

:wideeyes: Sounds like she's singing to small children?!?! Her voice has a young girl quality to it, but I wouldn't say that at all. She doesn't sound like someone you hear on the radio, because she actually has an original sound.

I don't get the reference to singing to children. But, it's definitely not what you hear on the radio (and that's not a bad thing.) I spent about an hour listening to her on youtube last night and I think she's fun and has a really good voice and a way with words.

cailuj365
11-08-2010, 10:43 PM
Hahaha, I wouldn't call WWFM a dance-y song either, so I'm sure that did not help them.

There's a stream of "Live It Up" by Lee on mj's. Wow, it's even more boring to me than in the clip. I think RCA definitely made the right choice with going with "Sweet Serendipity." His lead single needs to be as strong as possible, not something that's decent background music but barely catchy. I don't think it's a strong CD opener either.

You're right that it's not super country (Farmer's Daughter is no Coal Miner's Daughter, for instance). Maybe the other tracks on Crystal's album aren't as altered. I saw the CD cover from mj's too, and it looks nice. I think S9 definitely beats S8 in terms of album covers.

April Smith followed me on twitter and tweeted me! :D And she knows who Adam is, because she tweeted him too a few days ago. (Complete mind-boggle as they're from rather different music worlds.) Something about her having a dream that she and Adam wrote a musical starring Tim Curry. :lol: She asked Adam to call her. I think this is a most excellent idea. ;)

Oh, Brian, thanks for the Kelly clips. She's looking good! I'm glad they're having her do more things as her album release approaches.

Allskate
11-08-2010, 11:20 PM
There's a stream of "Live It Up" by Lee on mj's. Wow, it's even more boring to me than in the clip. I think RCA definitely made the right choice with going with "Sweet Serendipity." His lead single needs to be as strong as possible, not something that's decent background music but barely catchy. I don't think it's a strong CD opener either.

Yes, but sadly, I still like it better than Sweet Serendipity, which I find annoying.

You're right that it's not super country (Farmer's Daughter is no Coal Miner's Daughter, for instance). Maybe the other tracks on Crystal's album aren't as altered.

Maybe. Also, David Bendeth apparently received tweets about how unhappy people were with the arrangement of FD. He tweeted that we shouldn't believe everything we hear, that the mixing and mastering aren't done, and the cake's still baking. :lol: So, hopefully the actual versions of these songs will have better arrangements and mixing.

I saw the CD cover from mj's too, and it looks nice.

Except that the title seems to be missing an apostrophe. Oops.

ETA: David Bendeth cracks me up. He just tweeted Crystal's husband to ask him if there is an apostrophe in the word mixes. :lol:

April Smith followed me on twitter and tweeted me! :D And she knows who Adam is, because she tweeted him too a few days ago. (Complete mind-boggle as they're from rather different music worlds.)

I wonder if she did cabaret, too? Heh. I think she would write a fun musical.

BigB08822
11-08-2010, 11:26 PM
Just got around to hearing the long album clips of Hold On and Farmer's Daughter. Hold On is alright, about what I expected Crystal's first single would be. I knew she couldn't do something too poppy. I guess this is as happy a medium as she could have hoped for but I bet she still hates it. Farmer's Daughter was a great song but they managed to suck the soul out of it in the studio. Ugh. I guess I should have anticipated that as well, but hopefully she will still do the original when she performs.

PeterG
11-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Just got around to hearing the long album clips of Hold On and Farmer's Daughter.

This was just posted at youtube two hours ago:

"Hold On" and "Farmer's Daugher" samples (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpEBuTV9ULo)

I like both. They sound pop enough for the mainstream listener and rootsy enough for the folk/alternative types. Could be a hit, but that all depends on the marketing...

Allskate
11-09-2010, 02:26 AM
This was just posted at youtube two hours ago:

"Hold On" and "Farmer's Daugher" samples (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpEBuTV9ULo)

I like both. They sound pop enough for the mainstream listener and rootsy enough for the folk/alternative types. Could be a hit, but that all depends on the marketing...

Hmm. Maybe I'm just not hearing the folk because I've listened to too much of Crystal's stuff. Hold On sounds like Kelly Clarkson pop to me. I think they're going for that kind of audience. I don't hear the folk/alternative vibe.

And on FD, I don't hear much more folk. Maybe it's just relative to Crystal's own version of this song, which has more raw, emotional, and folk sound without all that production and the cheesy background vocals? Have you heard Crystal's version Peter?

It's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMYirwCO30

cailuj365
11-09-2010, 02:59 AM
Except that the title seems to be missing an apostrophe. Oops.

I actually thought that was deliberate. Like a stylistic thing? :shrug:

PeterG
11-09-2010, 04:01 AM
Have you heard Crystal's version Peter?

It's here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQMYirwCO30

That's a better version than the one in the link I provided. Slower tempo, more acoustic and more folk-y. Not 60's folk, but the kind of stuff you'd hear at 2010 Folk Music Festivals. And really wonderful. But I can't see either version get airplay on pop music alongside Kesha, Usher and Katy Perry.

Hold On sounds like Kelly Clarkson pop to me.

To me, "Hold On" is not hook-y enough or uber-produced enough to come close to Kelly Clarkson's stuff. Plus Crystal's voice is too folky. Not that that is a bad thing! :)

BigB08822
11-09-2010, 04:07 AM
I think "Hold On" was definitely going after Kelly Clarkson pop but with a bit (just a bit) of folk thrown in for Crystal. It ends up not being quite enough of either one so it doesn't work.

Allskate
11-09-2010, 05:20 AM
That's a better version than the one in the link I provided. Slower tempo, more acoustic and more folk-y. Not 60's folk, but the kind of stuff you'd hear at 2010 Folk Music Festivals. And really wonderful. But I can't see either version get airplay on pop music alongside Kesha, Usher and Katy Perry.

That's the original version she recorded for a demo. I definitely prefer it. Since I don't think either version would make it as a successful pop single, I'd prefer Crystal's version. But, judging from what David Bendeth has been tweeting today, that snip from Hit Predictor is just a rough mix and the final version will be more restrained, but not acoustic. Both Bendeth and Crystal have tweeted today hinting that the original or Crystal's live versions of at least some of the songs will be available. That makes me a happy camper. I want the original versions of FD and Holy Toledo. If Grey Haired Rock Star and Riding With the Radio are on the CD, I can see preferring plugged in rocking versions for those.

There's a new song being played on Hit Predictor now called "Lonely Don't Come Around." It's the co-write. (Not the one she did with Brian, which I suspect is Mason.) I prefer this new one to the other two as a single, but I think that Riding With the Radio would be a better choice than any of those. I'd like her to include Put Your Guitar Down on the album, but she hasn't played that any recent gigs, so I suspect that's not on the album.

To me, "Hold On" is not hook-y enough or uber-produced enough to come close to Kelly Clarkson's stuff. Plus Crystal's voice is too folky. Not that that is a bad thing! :)

IMO, it's overproduced enough, but not hooky enough. IOW, the songwriting is a poor man's version of Breakaway.

Allskate
11-10-2010, 07:22 PM
VH1 has Crystal's performances up:

http://www.vh1.com/video/misc/595677/ridin-with-the-radio-live-at-vh1.jhtml#id=1651883

They've excluded her performance of Hold On. I wonder why.

Her label also has released a press release with a track list:

http://www.crystalbowersox.com/news/crystals-debut-album-farmers-daughter-out-december-14th

I was hoping that Put Your Guitar Down and Grey-Hair Rocked Star would be on there, but I'm not surprised that they're not. She hasn't been performing them lately and the label probably doesn't want too many of the songs from her demos to be on the album. But I much prefer those two songs to Hold On and like like them better than a couple of her other originals that made the album:

http://www.crystal-bowersox.net/

"Mason" is the co-write with her husband. Crystal's son's middle name is Mason. This is a sweet video of Crystal and Brian singing the song to baby Tony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kLUS3UOOXs

Hopefully there will be more interviews and performances soon.

Lee just did his interview with Lyndsey Parker: http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/404914/lee-dewyze-the-reality-rocks-interview-pt-2/

He has to be the least articulate of all the Idol winners. They really should give him some PR lessons. He did not handle that last question well at all. Reminds me of some of his interviews right after the finale.

PrincessLeppard
11-10-2010, 11:17 PM
I can't be bothered to watch. Can you sum it up for me?

Please don't make me watch an interview with Lee.....

taf2002
11-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Lee just did his interview with Lyndsey Parker: http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/404914/lee-dewyze-the-reality-rocks-interview-pt-2/

He has to be the least articulate of all the Idol winners. They really should give him some PR lessons. He did not handle that last question well at all. Reminds me of some of his interviews right after the finale.

Just watched Lee's interview. He's indoors....why the hoodie? It looks stupid, esp over a baseball cap. In fact, everything about him screams DORK. I agree he is not articulate.

cailuj365
11-11-2010, 12:54 AM
I only watched a part of Lee's interview, but he didn't seem that bad to me. His answers seemed pretty in line with what other Idol alumni have said in the past. His explanation as to why he and Crystal haven't stayed in touch sounded like it could have gone bad at first, but as he went on, it made sense to me. He may not be the most dynamic, confident speaker, but it fits with his "everyday guy" image. Even his clothes and posture are very "everyday dude." Besides, it looked like he was at some type of rehearsal, so I was fine that he wasn't dressed to his best.

Here's Lee's Leno performance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljjWPDcIaWY) from last night. I really dislike the growly aspect of his voice. He sounds hoarse in parts. The song reminds me a lot of LLWD actually. They have the same upbeat, "enjoy life" message and a catchy chorus to get into your head.

Did you guys know that NBC's Chuck can sing?? Duet with Katharine McPhee (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un60RISzE-A) Not bad! I really liked the song (good job, Kara Dioguardi), and their voices sound good together.

I'm surprised that "Hold On" is all the way down to #6 on Crystal's track list. Usually, the lead single is the #1-3 position. Maybe they're changing the single? Out of the Vh1 videos, "Farmer's Daughter" is still my favorite. I really like the melody and the lyrics.

ETA:
Just watched Lee's interview. He's indoors....why the hoodie? It looks stupid, esp over a baseball cap. In fact, everything about him screams DORK. I agree he is not articulate.

The hoodie over the cap (http://www.bet.com/Music/photos/onlocation_fb_djherolaunch_6.02.09.htm?i=7) look is definitely popular with some guys.