PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Allskate
11-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Well, if Crystal gets to release a second single, it's guaranteed that it'll be one she co-writes. I listened to some of the demo for the first single, and it's not that bad. It may actually sound pretty good with Crystal's voice. And sure, Nickelback aren't critical darlings, but they do have a lot of fans and sell a lot of music. So you never know.

It may not be as bad as I first feared, but I don't think it's very good, either. Crystal herself has written better songs. And Jim Cantiello was raving about Riding On the Radio, not Hold On. He tweeted: #RidinWithTheRadioRULES

ETA: VFTW tweeted Crystal to tell her this: "The first single blows. We understand why you don't like it. The original songs are much better." :lol:

I wonder if there's any chance that Jive will change its mind the way RCA did with Lee's single after they didn't get great feedback with their first choice.

I can see how Jive might think that PDs will like hearing Chad Kroeger's name, but they saw how well that approach worked with Pat Monahan and The Truth. (Kris isn't even playing that song on tour; gee, I wonder how he feels about it being chosen as a single. :lol: )

Kruss
11-05-2010, 03:13 AM
I just heard a snippet of Hold On. Oh, no. No No No. Once again, a major record label has NO idea what the fans want to hear.

But I love Crystal and will check out the rest of the album.

BigB08822
11-05-2010, 03:29 AM
I thought everyone hated Nickelback! I know they got insane radio play for a while but I felt pretty sure that only jocks and douches admit to liking Nickelback.

cailuj365
11-05-2010, 03:40 AM
I thought everyone hated Nickelback! I know they got insane radio play for a while but I felt pretty sure that only jocks and douches admit to liking Nickelback.

Generally, yes, everyone does hate Nickelback, lol, but they did sell 3 million for their last album and get consistent airplay, so there's obviously some people still liking them.

Allskate
11-05-2010, 05:12 AM

Then there are a lot of jocks and douches out there because Nickelback does sell. :lol: Sadly, I don't think the Nickelback audience is really Crystal's likely audience.

Kruss, I do think that there will be some much better songs on the album. They just might not make it to the radio. I'm hoping most of it is much more what Crystal's music is about. She does seem very happy with David Bendeth.

Kruss
11-05-2010, 06:09 PM
Kruss, I do think that there will be some much better songs on the album. They just might not make it to the radio. I'm hoping most of it is much more what Crystal's music is about. She does seem very happy with David Bendeth.

Yes, I think the rest of the album will be more like her. I'll definitely support it, but I just have a pet peeve with the music industry right now. :lol:

Meanwhile, David Cook is participating in the Chris Evert Pro-Celebrity Tennis Classic (http://www.chrisevert.org/participants/2010/). Up until now NO ONE knew the boy could play tennis. Because of that, I'm guessing it's under the "not very well" category. But kudos to him for once again putting his celeb status to causes. And a new opportunity for us to enjoy new pictures/video is always a welcome thing. :D

cailuj365
11-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Aww, that's nice of David. Even if he doesn't play well, it's to raise awareness and to donate to charity, which is undoubtedly more important.

If anyone was wondering how Adam's concert in Malaysia went, here's some awesome footage from a TV special there: Great video of different numbers from the concert, the crowd, the press conference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9wxf4k4NcE) More! Protesters? What protesters? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBAMHH77mBI) They definitely added more visuals since my concert in June. This is definitely the best concert recap video I've seen. Maybe E! True Hollywood Story will do a better job, but I'm assuming that's going to be mostly fluff (it airs against the AMAs, by the way :lol:).

I don't think any of you live in the Philly area, but Adam is headlining the Jingle Ball (http://www.q102.com/pages/jingle-ball-2010/) there.

Allskate
11-06-2010, 05:47 PM
It's great to know that Malaysians are showing Adam the love.

More info from Crystal about her CD. She says they haven't decided yet which songs are going to make the album. (She's still working on one song herself and Bendeth still has a few to finish mixing.) But, she thinks that there will be 12 tracks. One of them will be "Hold On," though she says it's up in the air whether it will be the single. (Hopefully that's not just wishful thinking on her part.) She also has recorded a cover of a Buffalo Springfield song, "For What It's Worth", which she's excited about. There are two songs she co-wrote. One of them she wrote with her husband. The other one I think is Riding With The Radio. (I think she wrote that one with Melissa Etheridge and she says that the studio version really rocks.) The other eight songs are songs she wrote herself, though they haven't decided which ones will be on the album. I like a lot of her originals and Crystal seems to be very happy with David Bendeth, so I'm optimistic that I'll like the majority of the album.

ETA: Snippets from Lee's album are up here: http://www.amazon.fr/Live-It-Up/dp/B004AUK01K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1288990903&sr=8-2

I don't think this album is going to be what Lee's fans expected.

Maybe I'll change my mind when I hear the full song, but I think I prefer their first pick for a single.

taf2002
11-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Live It Up is better than the other 2, but I have to ask...does Lee have a speech impediment?

cailuj365
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I'd like to hear what Crystal's songs sound like now that they've been recorded professionally with a larger backup band. I already liked the songs I'd heard before, so I think that's going to be the most interesting thing for me.

Judging from the snippets, I think "Dear Isabelle" and "Me and My Jealousy" (the only one that sounded remotely rocking) were my favorites. "Sweet Serendipity" was much catchier to me than "Live It Up" (snooze) actually, so I understand their choice. There's something about Lee's voice that's like...nearly grating but just good enough to be okay. I thought "Live It Up" highlighted that he's a mediocre singer with poor enunciation.

OT: I saw a show from one of my favorite artists, April Smith, last night in Brooklyn. She's an absolutely incredible singer and songwriter, and I got a chance to talk to her for a good 5 minutes about her music, videos, and upcoming plans and also got an autograph and a picture. She was an opening act and the venue was already small to be begin with, so there weren't many people there to see her specifically. She was so nice, and it made me think how great it was to be able to talk to the artists when they're not "big" yet or aren't rushed in anyway. I doubt that any one of the fans who paid $250 (or however much it is) for Adam's Meet and Greets get that much time with him, and when I met Allie after the Nokia show, I got a generic "thank you" when I complimented her vocals. She was so busy autographing and didn't really meet anyone's eyes. Ah, the price of fame!

BigB08822
11-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Kelly did a show at the Mall of America for the opening of one of the new Microsoft stores. I know this seems a little below a "pop star" but these stores have been getting huge names to open for them, they got Justin Bieber for goodness sake! So anyway, Kelly had canceled a concert in this area before for one reason or another and I think she jumped at the chance to make it up to those fans, plus it was FREE! Here are some videos:

Behind These Hazel Eyes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhCJgaXzthA&feature=player_embedded)
Walk Away (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC6lqyqLrPw&feature=player_embedded) <--- The end is good, like her vocal runs
My Life Would Suck Without You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qh0YfqFT70&feature=player_embedded)

The above videos aren't the best quality, just fan made. This one below is better quality, probably made by someone in charge of the event or something, it is kind of a montage of clips from the event:

Montage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ZA7sUNevs&feature=player_embedded#!)

Allskate
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd like to hear what Crystal's songs sound like now that they've been recorded professionally with a larger backup band. I already liked the songs I'd heard before, so I think that's going to be the most interesting thing for me.

Me, too. I'm a little nervous about the multiple references to country and to the steel guitar. But, I'm hoping it's more like Ray Lamontagne or my fave Avett Brothers songs than real country or bluegrass.

Judging from the snippets, I think "Dear Isabelle" and "Me and My Jealousy" (the only one that sounded remotely rocking) were my favorites.

Yeah, I think those were my favorites, too, or maybe Brooklyn Bridge. Most of the songs sound a lot alike from the snippets. It's like Train meets Plain White Ts. Including hefty doses of corny lyrics, cheese, and sweetness. I can't imagine that I'd want to listen to the album repeatedly, but there's definitely a market for this kind of music. Unfotunately, I don't think it's what his fans were expecting or wanting and the press release's references to Ray LaMontagne and Dave Matthews are kind of puzzling after hearing the snippets.

"Sweet Serendipity" was much catchier to me than "Live It Up" (snooze) actually, so I understand their choice.

I thought SS was too catchy and annoying. But, I can see why they'd think that radio would like it.

There's something about Lee's voice that's like...nearly grating but just good enough to be okay. I thought "Live It Up" highlighted that he's a mediocre singer with poor enunciation.

I agree. His voice is at least as good as Pat Monahan's, which doesn't say a whole lot, but it's obviously good enough. Lee's poor phrasing always has bothered me more than his pitch problems. But, I'm guessing that's a problem throughout the album and not just on Live It Up, so I discounted that. It's hard to tell from the clips.

I've still got April Smith on my wish list for emusic. (I hadn't heard of her until you mentioned her in another thread.) I'll have to check out more of her music.

ETA: Davis and White must be AI fans. They've skated to David Cook before and today they skated to WWFM.

cailuj365
11-08-2010, 12:36 AM
I thought Lee's voice is kind of similar to John Mayer's, but he's just not there. Actually, I think Pat Monahan is a far better singer than Lee. His voice has that nearly grating aspect too, especially in "Hey Soul Sister" where the whole song is a tad too high, but at least his voice is relatively clear and I can understand what he's saying.

April Smith is SO GOOD. Goodness, she just has this way with words, and they fit so well within the melody. Great clarity, diction, and phrasing in her voice. I don't remember what I wrote in the other thread, but one of my favorites is "Colors." My favorite line: "Like a lighthouse guides a shipwrecked sailor safely from the sea, I'll wear your colors until you come back home to me."

Allskate
11-08-2010, 05:28 AM
I don't hear a similarity between John Mayer's voice and Lee's voice. I think that Lee's tone is more like Dave Matthews, though the snippets sound like the songs themselves are very different.

I just heard "Hold On" and "Farmer's Daughter" on Hit Predictor. Neither sounded very country to me. And neither sounded very folk to me either. Or very singer/songwriter. They didn't really change the arrangement of Hold On, though Crystal sings it much better and with more heart than the demo. I have a feeling that the acoustic version Crystal performed for VH1 was very different from the studio version.

Farmer's Daughter definitely has more of a contemporary HAC sound than the version Crystal recorded. (I prefer the original arrangement, but I guess they're going for a more contemporary sound. I don't get why they messed with it; a song about child abuse and alcohol abuse isn't likely radio material.) She sings the hell out of it. I really wish her original recordings were for sale.

I also wish they would consider Riding With the Radio as a single.

I'm not as optimistic about the album as I was. I think it's not going to be very Crystal-like. Now I understand her angry tweet about being to do her songs only differently. I suspect the album is going to be much more pop and overproduced than what I would have hoped and not very Crystal like. I can't imagine what they will do to For What It's Worth. :(

taf2002
11-08-2010, 02:44 PM
April Smith is SO GOOD. Goodness, she just has this way with words, and they fit so well within the melody. Great clarity, diction, and phrasing in her voice. I don't remember what I wrote in the other thread, but one of my favorites is "Colors." My favorite line: "Like a lighthouse guides a shipwrecked sailor safely from the sea, I'll wear your colors until you come back home to me."

I had never heard of April so I went to Amazon & listened to a couple of her songs. Yes, she has gread clarity, diction, & phrasing, but she sounds like she is singing to small children. Sure doesn't sound like anything you would hear on the radio.