PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

cailuj365
10-24-2010, 06:28 PM
Definitely better for Kelly to release in January than December when the radio freeze can hamper the rise of new songs.

About 80s music: I totally give Madonna and MJ their due as founders of the modern pop star, but there's just something about 80s music that sounds bad to me. The vocals sound like they're kind of echo-y and faraway, and there's always some kind of tinkly synth going on in the background. But really, you're fond of the music that you grow up with. To be honest, I probably grew up more with the 2000s, because I don't remember any pop music before 1997 (MMMBOP!!!). :lol: Twenty years from now, kids will think 2000s/2010s music sounds horrible: "The vocals sound like they're processed by a computer and why is there always some kind of chipmunk voice? What is with the bass synth that sounds like someone's farting?"

Hmm, Kruss, unless you have 50k Lee Dewyze fans on your twitter list (which would be almost as much as Lee has himself), I'm still gonna say that anything over 50k would be a win. That's not to say that only people who have followed Lee on twitter are buying the album, but not everyone who follows Lee is going to buy the album either. I wonder if Lee has any TV performances lined up. He's going to need it.

Adam's co-headlining the Miami Jingle Ball with Katy Perry, btw.

Cloudy_Gumdrops
10-24-2010, 06:37 PM
But really, you're fond of the music that you grow up with. To be honest, I probably grew up more with the 2000s, because I don't remember any pop music before 1997 (MMMBOP!!!). :lol:

Not always. I was in middle/high school in the late 90s/early 2000s. So that's what I grew up with. I liked some of the alterna rock and the boybands, but I hated all the gangsta rap and fake punk that was going on.

I love me some 80s music, esp. hair bands. I like some of the music from every era though. I know I'm probably in a minority with that though. I remember some kids in school thinking Nirvana was 'too old'.

cailuj365
10-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Not always. I was in middle/high school in the late 90s/early 2000s. So that's what I grew up with. I liked some of the alterna rock and the boybands, but I hated all the gangsta rap and fake punk that was going on.

I love me some 80s music, esp. hair bands. I like some of the music from every era though. I know I'm probably in a minority with that though. I remember some kids in school thinking Nirvana was 'too old'.

Well, I was talking about pop (exactly those boy bands and pop-rock bands like you mentioned), not rap or emo. I started out liking Eminem and Nelly at first, but then there was this deluge of rappers and emo bands and my poor pop-loving soul just didn't understand. :(

Actually, I loved Green Day, so never mind, lol. It's all pop to me though. Songs by Green Day and the other alternative/punk rock bands that were big are just pop songs behind heavy guitars. And now, Nelly's new single is pretty much a pure pop song. :P

And Nirvana is definitely before my time.

Kruss
10-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Hmm, Kruss, unless you have 50k Lee Dewyze fans on your twitter list (which would be almost as much as Lee has himself), I'm still gonna say that anything over 50k would be a win. That's not to say that only people who have followed Lee on twitter are buying the album, but not everyone who follows Lee is going to buy the album either. I wonder if Lee has any TV performances lined up. He's going to need it.

I have no idea of Lee has any performances lined up yet, I'm just saying he's got some pretty vocal fans who think "omg he's soooooo cute" (barf). But yeah, I don't see him being very successful.

PrincessLeppard
10-24-2010, 10:40 PM
I heard a clip of Lee's Serendipity thingy today. I don't like it, but some people might find it catchy? There was also a short interview with him after it, and, um, he still has no charisma....

Allskate
10-25-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm sure they'll have some tv performances set up for Lee. Not sure how comfortable he'll be performing this song. It's really not his type of thing. But, I presume they'll have someone working with him to prepare for the promotion. He really shouldn't do interviews, though. He either comes across as boring or kind of bristly.

I heard a clip of Lee's Serendipity thingy today. I don't like it, but some people might find it catchy? There was also a short interview with him after it, and, um, he still has no charisma....

I think people might find it catchy the way that they find the Plain White T's "Rhythm of Love" catchy, though Sweet Serendipity is an even more saccharine sweet ditty. I think songs like that sell singles, not albums. The other problem is that this isn't very representative of him. A lot of his fans didn't seem happy with the song when they first heard it. It's nothing like the stuff he recorded before and really doesn't sound like Ray LaMontagne or Dave Matthews, which is who he says are some of his influences. In fact, from what David Bendeth has been tweeting, it seems like Crystal's album will be the one that is more in the category of Ray LaMontagne.

taf2002
10-25-2010, 05:26 PM
I can't get excited about him.

Can anyone really? If Lee opens with more than 50k, I'd call that a win.

If there's a Linda Perry co-write on Crystal's album, I hope it's not some schmaltzy ballad. Christina's "Beautiful" was, well, beautiful, but I didn't like the other stuff she's written for her and Adam.

Oh yes, weren't the 80s just the pinnacle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ) in music and fashion?

It's the AI producers' fault (mostly Simon's) for throwing people like Casey & Big Mike under the bus. Either of them would have been so much easier to promote. (I think both have a better voice too but that's JMO.) Without the big push from TPTB I think Lee would have ended up no better than 5th.

Making a star out of Lee is going to be as easy ;) as making a reality star out of me: "as we enter taf's home we see her in the backyard pulling weeds....fasinating stuff! I could just watch this all day."

Allskate
10-27-2010, 11:08 PM
I don't think the judges threw Big Mike under the bus. In fact, it was almost the opposite. He gots lots of hype and they used the save on him. People just didn't like him that much. I think Lee's strategy of acting like you have no personality and are just a humble man grateful for everything works with audiences. I was suprised by how cocky Lee came across in interviews after the show was over. Smart move to hide it when he was on the show.

psssst, Brian: MJ has the Jason Aldean/Kelly Clarkson duet streaming at her site.

Crystal says she's almost done recording and that the album is going to be called "Farmer's Daughter."

BigB08822
10-28-2010, 12:45 AM
The duet is amazing, Kelly's vocals are the best they have ever been and they captured them in a way which pop producers never can. She sounds like she is singing live but at the same time it is clearly in a studio. I like the song because of her, it isn't the best song overall but the chorus is mega catchy and that can save any song!

PrincessLeppard
10-28-2010, 02:05 AM
Wait, Lee comes across as cocky? That would imply he does indeed have a personality. I've seen no evidence to support this. ;)

Allskate
10-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Wait, Lee comes across as cocky? That would imply he does indeed have a personality. I've seen no evidence to support this. ;)

:lol: I know! I was really surprised! But, he was very insistent in one of the interviews that he didn't have pitch problems on the show. And he also insisted in a couple of interviews that he was very confident. I have to say, I kind of preferred the no personality version of Lee. :lol:

Kruss
10-28-2010, 05:17 AM

:lol: I know! I was really surprised! But, he was very insistent in one of the interviews that he didn't have pitch problems on the show. And he also insisted in a couple of interviews that he was very confident. I have to say, I kind of preferred the no personality version of Lee. :lol:

So true, I saw it in the Idolotry interview with Michael Slezak. When Slezak brought up pitch problems, Lee rolled his eyes and basically said, "I'm not going to come out there and sing perfectly like an opera singer every time", and alleged he was into the song and it's more important to get the song out.

To which I say, then don't enter a singing contest. It's not that he can't sing properly, it's that he doesn't CARE to sing properly. The arrogance displayed in that interview really put me off, but then again, I'm a stickler for good vocals.

There are some very successful songwriters/artists who aren't the greatest vocalists, and yet they're still good. Somehow they just "have it". Lee is not one of them yet, and may never be, so his arrogance is pretty appalling. Especially since he just won an alleged singing contest (which in reality is nothing of the kind).

cailuj365
10-29-2010, 03:03 AM
So true, I saw it in the Idolotry interview with Michael Slezak. When Slezak brought up pitch problems, Lee rolled his eyes and basically said, "I'm not going to come out there and sing perfectly like an opera singer every time", and alleged he was into the song and it's more important to get the song out.

To which I say, then don't enter a singing contest. It's not that he can't sing properly, it's that he doesn't CARE to sing properly. The arrogance displayed in that interview really put me off, but then again, I'm a stickler for good vocals.

There are some very successful songwriters/artists who aren't the greatest vocalists, and yet they're still good. Somehow they just "have it". Lee is not one of them yet, and may never be, so his arrogance is pretty appalling. Especially since he just won an alleged singing contest (which in reality is nothing of the kind).

:lol: I haven't watched the interview, but Lee's attitude is silly. His fanbase is too small to be making those kind of statements. He needs to catch people and distinguish himself from the rest of the pack, not make himself look more mediocre than he already is.

The duet is amazing, Kelly's vocals are the best they have ever been and they captured them in a way which pop producers never can. She sounds like she is singing live but at the same time it is clearly in a studio. I like the song because of her, it isn't the best song overall but the chorus is mega catchy and that can save any song!

I didn't care for the song, but I see what you mean about her vocals. Very clear and beautiful.

I really doubt that Big Mike would succeed in the current music industry. Casey, I think, definitely has a shot though. Handsome, good musician, and in a genre that seems to suit him.

I saw a clip of Carrie Underwood explaining why she doesn't use Twitter. One of her reasons was that she saw how easily it could get you into trouble, especially when you make angry tweets before taking the time to cool down. :lol: She has a point there...

Allskate
10-29-2010, 04:40 AM

I think he genuinely can't sing in pitch and that his phrasing just isn't good (and makes me get the impression that he isn't even paying attention to what he sings). What's worse is that he seems to think that he does sing in pitch. IMO, the whole "I'm just so into singing" is just an attempt to appeal the folks that think he's such a sensitive artistic soul. In any event, the interviews really turned me off. He's both inarticulate and arrogant. Wise for his managers just to have him sing and not do interviews. They have a bunch of appearances set up for him for when his album is released.

Nigel says they're doing more backstory bits on the contestants next season. That could lead to a bunch more weak singers. Maybe a guy who sells wallpaper in Wisconsin?

They've already released Archie's third single. :(

BigB08822
10-29-2010, 04:57 AM
They've already released Archie's third single. :(

:eek: Singles aren't spaghetti noodles, you can't keep throwing them out there until one sticks. Or can you?