PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Allskate
10-21-2010, 06:34 AM
Part 2 of the Casey James interview: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5905668/exclusive_interview_with_casey_james.html?cat=2

He sure sounds optimistic.

, from most people's guess, is NOT going to be on her album. I think she even confirmed it on her twitter or something. The duet on her album with a male is different and is most likely Daughtry.

Yeah. I'm sure they wouldn't put it on both albums. I was just wondering if that was one of the duets she was talking about when she said that she'd recorded a couple of duets. That would make sense because I don't think she would put two duets on her own album.

Actually, I listened to a whole bunch of leaks from her the other day. I don't know if they're supposed to be for her new album or what though. I kind of hope not, because I didn't really take to any one of them. A lot of piano ballads without much of a hook.

These are probably the ones that someone hacked from her computer. I don't think they were ever going to be on her album.

BigB08822
10-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Kelly has said there will be two duets on her album, one with a male and one with a female. That surprises me, as well, but it came from her mouth! Maybe there is still a chance one will be cut from the album. If they are both really good then I don't mind, collaborations and duets are really big these days.

cailuj365, those leaks were stolen from Kelly's computer. Some are really good and some are quite awful. I try not to judge them because they were never meant to be released. We have no idea if they were even in consideration for the album, it could have been stuff Kelly just did on her own with her band mates and not at all for the album. Some of the stuff that has leaked are song titles she mentioned long ago so some of it is stuff done well before this album she is working on. I am absolutely obsessed with "Call Me" right now. It is a piano ballad but probably one of her best since Because of You.

cailuj365
10-21-2010, 07:49 AM
I am absolutely obsessed with "Call Me" right now. It is a piano ballad but probably one of her best since Because of You.

Yeah, unfortunately, this was one of the ones I was thinking of. It just sounds kind of dated to me. I'm sure the stuff on her real album will be better though.

BigB08822
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, this was one of the ones I was thinking of. It just sounds kind of dated to me. I'm sure the stuff on her real album will be better though.

Interesting. I just really really like it but I had to hear the full version before I ever liked it, the clip wasn't anything special to me at all. One interesting thing is that Kelly wrote the song for Reba. Reba turned it down because it was well out of her range. I wonder if that could be part of what you don't like? It definitely has a country vibe to it.

Allskate
10-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Interesting. I just really really like it but I had to hear the full version before I ever liked it, the clip wasn't anything special to me at all. One interesting thing is that Kelly wrote the song for Reba. Reba turned it down because it was well out of her range. I wonder if that could be part of what you don't like? It definitely has a country vibe to it.

I've only heard a clip of the song, but I did think that it had a little bit of a dated sound, but it really sounded like a demo anyway, so I doubt that it would have been recorded that way for an album anyway. I thought that the song was fine, but nothing great. I do generally really like Kelly's stripped down ballads, but I like them a little more raw, like her live version of Beautiful Disaster or even Irivine. I'll be curious to hear her new duet with Jason Aldean.

Speaking of country, Crystal's producer recently sent out a tweet dubbing her "Americana Idol," so I wonder if we're going to hear at least a little country-tinged Crystal on the album. (That is not the kind of music he usually produces and I think there definitely will be a rock influence on there, too.) Some people think that "Speak Now" sounds country, but it definitely doesn't scream it to me. She played both Farmer's Daughter and Speak Now last night, indicating that both of them are going to be on the album. She also admitted that she had written Speak Now about her husband before they eventually got together. He originally turned her down. It's pretty funny in retrospect since one of the lines is "I will never be your wife." Let's hope he had a change of heart for the right reasons. I suspect that "Put Your Guitar Down" is also about him. She seems so happy and relaxed on stage now. It's great to see.

cailuj365
10-22-2010, 01:31 AM

I don't know. It didn't seem finished to me, so maybe it would have been better with drums, but I didn't think the ballad was particularly pretty or catchy. Seemed kind of 90s.

However, I have liked every one of Kelly's singles (although I haven't heard anything from "My December"). So, chances are good that I will like whatever Kelly does put out eventually.

Allskate
10-22-2010, 03:01 AM
Seemed kind of 90s.

And the 90s weren't a great decade in music. :lol: I'm sure nothing on her new album will sound like this, but I do understand why some people would like the song. Her singing is really good.

It turns out that, last night, Crystal not only performed "Farmer's Daughter" and "Speak Now," but also sang "Holy Toledo" and "On the Run." I wonder if that means all four of those songs are on the album. "Farmer's Daughter" and "Holy Toledo" are two of my favorites, but there are other songs, like "Put Your Guitar Down" and "Gray Haired Rock Star" that I prefer to "Speak Now" and "On the Run," though I think all of those songs are good. But, I'm betting that none of her previous songs will be the single. But, who knows what the label has in mind.

Lee's old label is releasing one of his albums the week before his RCA album is released and they are releasing one of his songs the same day the RCA album is released. And, they are promoting the music by pointing out that he had 100% artistic freedom with them and wrote most of the songs all by himself. :lol:

cailuj365
10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
And the 90s weren't a great decade in music.

How dare you. I grew up on the 90s pop. ;)

Lee's old label is releasing one of his albums the week before his RCA album is released and they are releasing one of his songs the same day the RCA album is released. And, they are promoting the music by pointing out that he had 100% artistic freedom with them and wrote most of the songs all by himself. :lol:

I was going to say that this is similar to Adam's "Take One" scenario last year, which was released a week before his actual album. However, I think Lee's old record label has a point here, lol. They're absolutely trying to take advantage of Lee's success, but Lee did write those songs and they are representative of him as an artist before Idol. "Take One," on the other hand, was a bunch of demos that were just using Adam's voice (and making him sound like a baritone!). If fans don't like Lee's debut, maybe they'll find his other album to be a good alternative.

And I'd be surprised if Crystal's single wasn't new material.

Also, strange fact: Andrew Garcia and Lee Dewyze have the same number of twitter followers. I would think that Lee would have way more!

Allskate
10-22-2010, 06:05 PM
How dare you. I grew up on the 90s pop. ;)

My 80s pop beats your 90s pop any day. :lol:

They're absolutely trying to take advantage of Lee's success, but Lee did write those songs and they are representative of him as an artist before Idol.

Sadly, they may end up being more represenative of who he really is now than the RCA album is.

And I'd be surprised if Crystal's single wasn't new material.

Yeah. I'd be surprised, too. I think she's performing the old stuff now because she doesn't have a full band with her at these events and these songs work with just a bass player and Crystal on guitar. Plus, she's still recording, so she doesn't have time to rehearse. She has said that her album will have both new and old stuff, but the new music she did at Pinktober will not be on the album. It seems like she and Melissa have spent a fair amount of time together. So, hopefully they've been able to do some songwriting. Melissa and Franti have been touring, though, so the most likely co-write might be Linda Perry. I don't know if Jive has put her together with anyone besides those three that Crystal wanted to work with. Crystal has been writing on her own recently, but the odds of any of those being a single are pretty slim.

Also, strange fact: Andrew Garcia and Lee Dewyze have the same number of twitter followers. I would think that Lee would have way more!

I would guess that Lee's followers also follow Andrew since those two are friends. None of them seems to have a whole lot of twitter followers. My guess is that neither Lee nor Crysal will have very big sales. It's kind of a good thing that they aren't putting a lot of money into making Crystal's album.

Kruss
10-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I still find it interesting David Cook's prior Idol album was yanked from Amazon when no one else's was. Of course I have it because he told everyone to burn it and share it. Still, I suppose it's because it was independently produced and the others are being released from actual record labels. Just interesting.

As for Lee, no matter how many of the DC fans on my Twitter feed jumped on Lee's bandwagon and say they also love Lee (including a notable stalker, poor Lee...), I don't think Lee has anywhere near the following David had, nor will he until or unless he releases something that's written better and sung better than his current dreck. I haven't heard much of his pre-Idol stuff, will give Slumberland a listen since it's been highly recommended to me. But meh...I can't get excited about him.

cailuj365
10-22-2010, 10:05 PM
I can't get excited about him.

Can anyone really? If Lee opens with more than 50k, I'd call that a win.

If there's a Linda Perry co-write on Crystal's album, I hope it's not some schmaltzy ballad. Christina's "Beautiful" was, well, beautiful, but I didn't like the other stuff she's written for her and Adam.

Oh yes, weren't the 80s just the pinnacle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ) in music and fashion?

Allskate
10-22-2010, 10:46 PM
I still find it interesting David Cook's prior Idol album was yanked from Amazon when no one else's was. Of course I have it because he told everyone to burn it and share it. Still, I suppose it's because it was independently produced and the others are being released from actual record labels. Just interesting.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that David didn't Amazon permission to sell it. I bought it before it was pulled and then ended up wondering who got my ten bucks. But, the label/individual distinction may matter under Idol rules. None of Crystal's pre-Idol music was made available for sale. A contestant probably can't stop a label from selling what is legally theirs, but a contestant can refrain from selling music if they have full ownership of it. It sounds like Lee and his label were very careful in how they did things. His label released him from his obligations for another album so that he would be eligible for Idol and the probably made sure it was okay for them to continue selling the albums they had already sunk money into producing.

If there's a Linda Perry co-write on Crystal's album, I hope it's not some schmaltzy ballad. Christina's "Beautiful" was, well, beautiful, but I didn't like the other stuff she's written for her and Adam.

Oh yes, weren't the 80s just the pinnacle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ) in music and fashion?

I didn't say anything about fashion. :lol: But Michael Jackson hit his peak as a solo artist in the 80s and that was the breakout decade and peak for Madonna, two of pop music's greatest icons. And Cyndi Lauper and Culture Club were fun!

There definitely are some people who are excited about the paint salesman. But, I do think the numbers pale in comparison to previous Idols. And it Crystal couldn't beat Lee with, IMO, clearly superior vocals, then I think her sales are going to be pretty low
Crystal seems to like Perry's rock music -- she covered "What's Up" - so hopefully they worked on something a little more rocking. Didn't Perry break out as a songwriter with Pink? I doubt that Franti or Etheridge would push Crystal to do a schmaltzy ballad. Crystal may like ballads, but she's not really much into schmaltz. If you haven't heard much of her songwriting, you can hear a lot of it here:

http://www.crystal-bowersox.net/

She addresses everything from child abuse (Farmer's Daughter) to musical passion (Gray Hair Rocked Star) to unrequited love (Speak Now) to unrequited lust (Put Your Guitar Down). Even the happier songs aren't schmaltzy IMO.

BTW, Crystal confirmed last night that Holy Toledo would be on the album. So, we know one track. :lol:

Kruss
10-23-2010, 03:21 AM

Surprisingly, a lot of people on my twitter feed love the guy. :eek:

I seem to recall reading somewhere that David didn't Amazon permission to sell it. I bought it before it was pulled and then ended up wondering who got my ten bucks.

If you ever want to part with your hard copy, let me know! :D

Allskate
10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
If you ever want to part with your hard copy, let me know! :D

Sadly, I bought the MP3. :(

Brian, it looks like you were right about Kelly not releasing her single this year. Kelly tweeted that she thinks that her single is going to be released in January.

BigB08822
10-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Of course. It would be a suicide attempt to release a single in December as it is more than obvious the single wont be released in October and every passing day makes November look less and less likely.