PDA

View Full Version : American Idol - Season 10 - New Menagerie

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Allskate
10-13-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm feeling like you're not comprehending what I'm saying.

I'm feeling like you're not comprehending what I'm saying. Christina Aguilera's recent flop is proof that it doesn't matter how established you are as a pop star if your new music sucks.

Anyway, even Jason Mraz knows about the problems of having just one big single. He stuck it out, thankfully, but could you imagine if he DIDN'T come up with "I'm Yours?"

Yes. Imagine if he had put out the album when his label originally asked him to -- an album that didn't include "I'm Yours." His career might be toast. Good thing he pushed back the CD and ended up including "I'm Yours" or "Lucky." :D Adam rushing to put out a new CD isn't going to help him get all those huge hits you crave for him if it means that the music isn't good. IMO, quality trumps speed. I'm not talking four years. I'm talking about taking an extra couple of months to make sure it's good. I simply don't agree that his career is toast if he doesn't immediately get in the studio and release an album as soon as possible.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I understand what you're saying. I just don't agree with it.

ETA: Apparently RCA says that Sweet Serendipity was just turned in to the label last week. (That seems awfully late for an album that is being released in a month.) She says that "Live It Up" is very similar, but better. I'm glad if there's better music on the album, but sad if they made him record a bunch of songs like this. I'm also guessing that he did not write this one.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/401347/lee-dewyzes-debut-single-is-changed-at-last-minutewhy/

cailuj365
10-13-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm curious to what "Live It Up" sounds like. Could it be worse than "Sweet Serendipity"?

cailuj365
10-13-2010, 08:49 PM
So basically, you're saying that as long as you wait a long time and actually put GOOD MUSIC on it, it will be okay? And waiting for the circumstances to be right (as in putting out "I'm Yours" after the recent success of "Hey There Delilah")?

Well, isn't this what I've been saying too?

I'm not saying that putting something crappy out in two months will help Adam's case (though at least he'll still be riding the wave of his recent hits at this time), and that's generally not how this works anyway. I'm just saying that he can't wait two years (or four years in Christina's case) AND release something crappy. Add to the fact that he'll be in his 30s at this point, and that's another image issue. That's just bad and no one wants that. The record label will have been patient with you and keep funding your project, but if it's a bust, then you're even worse off.

IMO, quality trumps speed. I'm not talking four years. I'm talking about taking an extra couple of months to make sure it's good. I simply don't agree that his career is toast if he doesn't immediately get in the studio and release an album as soon as possible.

We're just going to have to agree to disagree. I understand what you're saying. I just don't agree with it.

Okay, so we're generally agreeing here. I understand what you're saying too, but please realize that the Top 40 crowd forgets people rather quickly and moves on to the next big thing, and it's only gotten worse in the age of singles than albums.

(Oh, and while Katy Perry didn't have a song on the radio, she was still making headlines with her relationship with Russell Brand and performing at the VMAs by doing a cover of Queen of all things. Gotta keep your name in the papers somehow.)

cailuj365
10-13-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm feeling like you're not comprehending what I'm saying. Christina Aguilera's recent flop is proof that it doesn't matter how established you are as a pop star if your new music sucks.

ETA: Apparently RCA says that Sweet Serendipity was just turned in to the label last week. (That seems awfully late for an album that is being released in a month.) She says that "Live It Up" is very similar, but better. I'm glad if there's better music on the album, but sad if they made him record a bunch of songs like this. I'm also guessing that he did not write this one.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/realityrocks/401347/lee-dewyzes-debut-single-is-changed-at-last-minutewhy/

Huh. How much of the album has Lee written? I was under the impression that he was writing these singles. Anyway, if Lee fails now, RCA will not hesitate to drop him, I think. :/

Aaaand, it's not looking good when RCAPromo didn't even bother checking what the title of Lee's single was before tweeting about it. They called it "Sweet Surrender" and changed it once fans told them about it.

As much as her new music sucked, the Gaga comparison was also a huge blow. Every time I switched on the radio, it was always about how Christina was trying to be just like Gaga. It's too bad. It was bad music released in bad circumstances.

Allskate
10-13-2010, 09:31 PM
So basically, you're saying that as long as you wait a long time and actually put GOOD MUSIC on it, it will be okay? And waiting for the circumstances to be right (as in putting out "I'm Yours" after the recent success of "Hey There Delilah")?

Well, isn't this what I've been saying too?

I'm just saying that he can't wait two years (or four years in Christina's case) AND release something crappy. That's just bad and no one wants that.

No, this isn't what either of us has been saying. :lol: You said he needed to get the album out right away and that one year between albums is what is needed. (You also said that Archie should have abandoned his first album and gone back to recording as soon as he released Crush). I disagreed.

And I never said that anyone should wait a long time to put out crap music or even that they should wait four years. :lol: (You brought up Christina, not me.) I just was saying that Adam isn't committing career suicide if he doesn't rush back into the studio immediately after his tour ends and rush out an album and that spending a couple of extra months to make the album better is worth it because quality trumps speed.

(I also don't think that Jason Mraz or his label were waiting for Delilah to come out. Jason was too busy surfing to go finish recording his album and ended up writing some great songs during surfing season and then didn't end up finishing the album for some time. :lol: )

And, yeah, it would have been good for Archie to come back with something like "I'm Yours" and he would have been better off pushing back the album release to give us something like that instead of the suckitude on his current album. I don't think Archie was ever going to give us something like "I'm Yours," but surely they could have come up with something better than crap like Elevator.

I'm curious to what "Live It Up" sounds like. Could it be worse than "Sweet Serendipity"?

Well, if they go back Live It Up, you may find out what it sounds like real soon. :lol: And, if Lindsey Parker is right that it sounds like Serendipity, but better, then maybe they really will do that.

taf2002
10-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Also, I just listened to "Sweet Serendipity." Lee is not a good enough/not the right singer for this song. It requires a John Mayer type of phrasing, and it sounds wrong in his voice, especially because he sounds like a huskier Gokey with a touch of a Daughtry growl. Also, the song is a tad too fast so all the lyrics run together. It has its best chance on HAC, but I doubt it's going to work on CHR/POP.

IMO Lee will never have a good enough voice for a major hit. His voice is mediocre at best & he isn't good looking enough to get by on his looks. Everything about him is just ok, nothing special. I really had a hard time understanding how he got as far as he did in AI. I thought there were several people more talented than him in his season.

BigB08822
10-14-2010, 01:38 AM
I think Lee won because there was a lack of real vocal talent (Crystal was the only really good singer in the group and even she is nothing in comparison to many who have been on the show before her) and a lack of really hot guys. He was the cutest of the not so cute and one of the best singers of the not so good singers. He won by default!

cailuj365
10-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I think Lee won because there was a lack of real vocal talent (Crystal was the only really good singer in the group and even she is nothing in comparison to many who have been on the show before her) and a lack of really hot guys. He was the cutest of the not so cute and one of the best singers of the not so good singers. He won by default!

Casey? Tim?

Adam's next single in Canada is Sleepwalker.

He also made an It Gets Better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_QVknV-M6U) video and covered "Enter Sandman" by Metallica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEom69xCX8) for all you rock Adam lovers.

BigB08822
10-18-2010, 10:30 PM
Tim was probably considered the hot one but did he have any appeal outside of the tweens? That boyish smile and hair made him look like a high schooler at best. Casey was good looking but with his long hair and his quiet demeanor, he was never going to be seen or marketed as the hot one and he clearly wasn't. I think his good looks, with the long hair, are a little outside of the box. Had he cut his hair short he would have probably been the heart throb, plus he had the gay rumors to combat.

cailuj365
10-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Casey had gay rumors? Huh.

Lee's single is only going for HAC so far, btw.

BigB08822
10-18-2010, 10:50 PM
http://news.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474978158298

Allskate
10-18-2010, 10:57 PM
IMO Lee will never have a good enough voice for a major hit.

There are singers with voices in the same league as Lee's who get hits on the radio. Plus, there's autotune. Oddly, people are complaining that his new single sounds too autotuned. I wonder what is going on behind the scenes with the material and track selections. I still have a hard time believing that Lee wanted to go with songs like Sweet Serendipidity. Lee has been saying that his favorite of the new songs is a song called "Only Dreaming." The day after they announced the track listing for his album -- without that song listed -- he gave a performance where he didn't sing the new single, but did sing "Only Dreaming." Maybe instead of talking about his frustration in interviews and tweets the way that Kelly, Kris, and Crystal do, Lee is a little more passive aggressive. :lol:

Casey? Tim?.

Yeah. They had hotties. That was part of the problem. Tim outlasted some of the better singers because of his looks. He should have gone home that first week because he sang so poorly. Some of the better and more interesting singers got voted off too early. I think it's increasingly hard for the talented women to do well, especially if they're not pageanty.

And, IMO, Casey was really good looking. (I disagree with Brian that he wasn't promoted that way. They had him take his shirt off!) The problem was that they made it out that he was only eye candy and not musically talented. I never heard any rumors about Casey being gay and I doubt most of the public did either and that's not the vibe he gives off. He had other problems such as a few of his song choices and being so stiff and nervous. He definitely didn't know how to play the pageant game and didn't get help from the judges to play it. Plus, Lee got the "he's a good man and a paint salesman" promo and Casey gets the "he's nothing but cougar bait" promo. Still, I'm sure there are plenty of people who think that Casey would not have come in as high as third, if not for his looks. Casey didn't perform nearly as well on the show as he does off the show.

And FWIW, I disagree that Crystal's singing is "nothing" in comparison to many who have been on the show before her. I think she's got a beautiful voice and knows herself as an artist. I prefer her vocals to a number of the winners'. She just sucked at playing the pageant game and doesn't fit the Idol mold with her image and approach to the show.

He also made an It Gets Better (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_QVknV-M6U) video and covered "Enter Sandman" by Metallica (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEom69xCX8) for all you rock Adam lovers.

Thanks! As sad as it was that he had to deal with the protests for his show last week, I think it's great that people rallied around him and that young gay guys around the world are seeing him succeed with pride.

Allskate
10-21-2010, 03:07 AM
Anybody needing a Kelly Clarkson fix can get it in two weeks. She's recorded a duet with Jason Aldean for his new album:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041GWWSC?ie=UTF8&tag=mjsbigblog-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0041GWWSC

I wonder if this is one of the duets they were considering for her album. Hmm.

Crystal's CD has been pushed back to December 14. She says she's almost done recording it. And she's supposed to be performing some of the new music at a couple of events this week.

The tracklisting and songwriter list has been released for Lee's album:

http://www.rcamusicgroup.com/news/lee-dewyze-lives-it

He has co-writing credit on all but one track, but no solo songwriting. On the one hand, it's a shame that he didn't get even one song on there that was all his. Kris at least got "Red Guitar." On the other hand, at least he has a single that he co-wrote. But, on the third hand (foot?), I doubt he was the driving force behind Sweet Serendipidity. That song doesn't sound at all like him. I hope he got at least some songs on the album that are more reflective of who he is.

BigB08822
10-21-2010, 05:58 AM
The clip of the duet sounds really great from what little we get to hear. Rumor has it they will perform it at the CMA awards soon! This, from most people's guess, is NOT going to be on her album. I think she even confirmed it on her twitter or something. The duet on her album with a male is different and is most likely Daughtry.

cailuj365
10-21-2010, 05:59 AM
Anybody needing a Kelly Clarkson fix can get it in two weeks.

Actually, I listened to a whole bunch of leaks from her the other day. I don't know if they're supposed to be for her new album or what though. I kind of hope not, because I didn't really take to any one of them. A lot of piano ballads without much of a hook.