PDA

View Full Version : Help me prove my mother is wrong

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

allezfred
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Avocado bathrooms. :scream:

SharonDudd
09-24-2010, 10:56 PM
mrr50: I was just about to post that you also have to take into consideration that is WAS the 60's after all with shag carpeting, harvest gold, avocado green and coppertone appliances being all the rage. Loud and wild crazy flower-power wallpaper in everyone's kitchens! I still remember my parents' console tv that was the size of a small battleship. Huge radio on one side and a "record player" stereo on the other, both underneath lift-up lids. Our kitchen boasted the coppertone appliances that my Mom was in love with but were a real beast to clean and keep polished!

That was back when there was only one tv in the household and we were required to watch whatever Mom and Dad were watching: Family Classics with Frasier Thomas on Sunday afternoons, Wild World of Sports with Jim MacKay on Saturday afternoons. Lawrence Welk and Mitch Miller. Jackie Gleason etc. What a trip down memory lane!! I was so glad when I got old enough to begin dating because we weren't allowed to hang out (hide out, that is) in our bedrooms!

michiruwater
09-25-2010, 03:28 AM
I knew, and I was also born many years after she wore it :lol:

Chartreuse is a wonderful word, though, even if it's a terrible color.

Ozzisk8tr
09-25-2010, 03:35 AM
Okay so what colour and number is chartruese in "Hobbytex" colours? I know 69 is Bittersweet, and 5 is Sand, 9 Scarlet etc. I'm hoping someone else on FSU will reveal a dorky side to their own past by knowing such things...

briancoogaert
09-26-2010, 01:00 PM
:confused: The dress is chartreuse color (a vivid yellowish-green); the color is named "chartreuse" because of its resemblance to the color of the liqueur made by the Cathusian monks, which is named after the Monks' Grande Chartreuse monastery, located in the Chartreuse Mountains in the general region of Grenoble in France. Peggy's mother decided to make the dress that color because of this association. I don't know if I answered your question, because I am really confused about what you were asking.
Sorry for my english !
Yes, you answered my question : it was not a coincidence. ;)

IceJunkie
09-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Yeah, before I even read the responses I knew she was referring to chartreuse. I was born a number of years after Peggy's Olympic win as well. But honestly, I'd probably have no clue what the hell chartreuse was if I wasn't an FS fan.

mkats
09-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Same - that was immediately the color I thought of.

My friend always describes chartreuse as "highlighter yellow" :)

Lacey
09-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Saw a live, new, VW Bug on a car lot yesterday, color was chartreuse, might have also been metallic, was actually pretty.

Tinami Amori
09-27-2010, 02:32 AM
I told her that most of the skating ubers (i.e., FSUers) would know what word/color she was trying to think of. She didn't think so. Which of us is correct?

As far as I know, many Russian/Soviet women between ages of 45 and up would know who Peggy Fleming is and that her dress in the "Dance of the Witches" (did I say it correctly?) was Chartreuse. Except that in Russian we call it "tzvet nespelogo lemona" - ripe-lemon.

More so...... here is a funny story. A friend was talking about her travels to Paris and the surroundings. She forgot the name of the city called Chartres. Trying to remember, she said "the name sounds kind of like Peggy Fleming's dress"..

:cool:

skatemommy
09-27-2010, 02:49 AM
skatemommy is channelling DB.

Level 4 LBSp w +GOE just doesn't sound the same.... sorry I'm old school (that has to teach the new moves in the field :( ):hat1:

Aussie Willy
09-27-2010, 03:44 AM
Okay so what colour and number is chartruese in "Hobbytex" colours? I know 69 is Bittersweet, and 5 is Sand, 9 Scarlet etc. I'm hoping someone else on FSU will reveal a dorky side to their own past by knowing such things...
:lol: Okay you just brought back memories there. Can you still get Hobbytex?

Level 4 LBSp w +GOE just doesn't sound the same.... sorry I'm old school (that has to teach the new moves in the field :( ):hat1:

Well I don't think DB would even know what that means.

ETA - OMG just discovered that Hobbytext is still around http://www.hobbytex.com.au/

essence_of_soy
09-27-2010, 05:17 AM
If memory serves me correctly, at the 2010 U.S. Nationals during the celebration of their Olympic Gold medal winners, when Peggy was announced, she wore a striking evening dress the same colour as her 1968 outfit.

taf2002
09-27-2010, 04:05 PM
Saw a live, new, VW Bug on a car lot yesterday, color was chartreuse, might have also been metallic, was actually pretty.

Was the car named Herbie? I've never seen a live car, did it speak to you?

j/k