PDA

View Full Version : Help me prove my mother is wrong

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Angelskates
09-22-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm probably alone in thinking that the colour and the dress were both awful. :slinkaway

No, you are not.

pat c
09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm probably alone in thinking that the colour and the dress were both awful. :slinkaway

Um, no, move over you have company. :D

skatemommy
09-22-2010, 02:23 PM
I had to click the picture links to find out. I honestly thought it would be some fiery orange-pink color but I was wrong!

That would be Dorothy Hamill's oly dress! :)

Norlite
09-22-2010, 02:25 PM

No, you're not.

Sparks
09-22-2010, 02:53 PM

I agree with you now, BUTT Peggy's Olympic performance was my first exposure to Figure Skating and liked it ever sense. I was a wee lass.
We all said, "Oooo, look at how pretty that Peggy Fleming is!". :D

Capella
09-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Just read my mom this thread. She also admits to hating Peggy's dress and the color chartreuse in general. And she is appropriately in awe of FSU.

Clarice
09-22-2010, 03:08 PM
As well she should be.

And, yes, I knew Peggy's dress was chartreuse, and I know what that color looks like. But I wonder how many people, just hearing the story about the liquer, know that color? When I was a kid, I always mixed it up with magenta, which isn't even close.

And, yeah, I've never liked Peggy's dress, either. I think chartreuse is a particularly difficult color to pull off.

skatemommy
09-22-2010, 03:23 PM
But the layback is drop dead gorgeous!

Garden Kitty
09-22-2010, 03:25 PM
But the layback is drop dead gorgeous!

Is that you, Dick Button?

Bev Johnston
09-22-2010, 03:51 PM
I was just looking at the Rise: The Movie website the other day and they mention Peggy's chartreuse dress.

milanessa
09-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Just because we knew what it was doesn't mean we liked it. ;)

danceronice
09-22-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm more curious about what car comes in chartreuse....

skatingfan5
09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm more curious about what car comes in chartreuse....Not sure what sort of car Capella saw, but here's a chartreuse car (http://www.johndglynn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/Chartreuse-911-2.4E.jpg). And a "slightly" older one (http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID16064/images/strobe_V6J_1.jpg). :P (had to use a chartreuse graemlin). I'm pretty sure I saw a chartreuse VW beetle in my town in the last few years -- but I don't know if that was the original paint job -- I'm inclined to think it might not be.

SharonDudd
09-22-2010, 05:51 PM
This reveals my age but I remember watching that performance and sad as it sounds, we didn't have a color tv yet! It wasn't till the photo was in the newspaper that we saw how truly henious it was! If memory serves me correctly, Peggy's Mom made the dress.

I have a clipping that I made into a magnet:

OH NO!!
MY MOTHER WAS
RIGHT ABOUT
EVERYTHING!!!

cholla
09-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Chartreuse! Peggy's mom chose it because the Olympics were in France and the color is named for the French city.

Just for the record, Chartreuse isn't a city but a mountain range and a National Park. The liqueur has been created by monks from the Order of Chartreux sheltered in the Monastry of la Grande Chartreuse (http://www.chartreuse.fr/)in the tiny village of St Pierre de Chartreuse. Following the link, don't miss the Chartreuse Trivia page, where you learn that :

Mooo !
To relieve their affliction, cows suffering from flatulence and bloat are treated with Chartreuse Elixir mixed with water by farmers in the Chartreuse mountains. :rofl:

Considering that it tastes as bad as it looks, to me it should be the only legal use of said elixir !! This is valid for the liquor too. :D