PDA

View Full Version : UniSports announces GP Series Coverage

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

HisWeirness
09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
What's the reason for the chacking of Cup of China?
I don't know. All I know is that last year NBC also did not show Cup of China, but Universal Sports TV did broadcast 8 hours of coverage, compared to the 6-7 hours USTV televised of the other GP events (so, instead of 8 hours of coverage split between USTV and NBC, USTV showed all 8 hours).

RD, thanks for mentioning NBC's broadcast delay for NHK and SC. I've noted this in my previous post.

Polymer Bob
09-22-2010, 05:59 PM
I have had mixed results with IceNetwork. Sometimes the streaming is good, sometimes I get a black screen.

Debbie S
09-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Just got an e-mail about Ice Network renewal. They conveniently wait until the end of the e-mail to tell you the (new) price - "only" $39.95. That would be a $10 increase over last year. :mad:

Looks like same coverage as last year - Nats, GP series, JN, Synchro Nats, Adult Nats. Also Regionals and Sectionals, and "feature skating programs" - presumably that means backstage bits from the Disson shows.

They also tout "improved video quality" - say streaming rates "up to" 1 Mbps will be offered.

Jenna
09-22-2010, 08:57 PM
*Sigh* that the cost went up, but I will certainly be returning.

For the amount of coverage, though, I don't think that price is outrageous. A down economy effects everyone.

Lanie
09-22-2010, 09:24 PM
So, will GP coverage be on Universal Sports or just on NBC television-wise? I'm so lost. :rofl:

HisWeirness
09-22-2010, 09:30 PM
So, will GP coverage be on Universal Sports or just on NBC television-wise? I'm so lost. :rofl:
Both. (http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2881562&postcount=10)

Both NBC and Universal Sports TV will have TV coverage of the GP. Universal Sports TV has not announced their TV schedule for the GP yet but NBC has. NBC is showing 2 hours each of six events (NBC is not showing Cup of China).

You can check the Universal Sports TV schedule here (http://www.universalsports.com/tv-listings/sport=FS/index.html), but nothing has been posted yet.

skatesindreams
09-22-2010, 09:48 PM
I got the IN subscription "update", as well.
I'll accept the increase in price. It's the first since IN's inception.

Does anyone know how many subscribers they have?

Doggygirl
09-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Thanks to all who helped summarize the USA viewing options. And HW, your web site just rocks. :cheer: Thanks a lot for making this easy for the rest of us!

ETA: I will also be renewing with IN. Even at the increased price, I think it's a great deal. I remember just a few years ago trying to watch the really crap feeds cutting in and out. When WebTV first came about at (I think??) about $15US per month, I thought that was a STEAL. And that was for coverage not in a language I can understand. (although I confess, not understanding the commentary / no commentary at all is often a blessing!) Anyway...I sort of thought IN was going by the wayside and I'm glad they are back this year as an option.

Carolla5501
09-22-2010, 11:00 PM
*Sigh* that the cost went up, but I will certainly be returning.

For the amount of coverage, though, I don't think that price is outrageous. A down economy effects everyone.

I have always thought the price was so low that they could not be making much money and the truth is... unless it brings in enough $$ it's gone. So I will pay the fee. (Heck it's less then a ticket to one event :) )

Universal is more problematic. Don't like the Silverlight and can't make it work at ALL in a lot of hotels.

IceNetwork works fine in my home, but as usual streaming video in hotels is hit or miss. That's not really IN's issue, but the hotels!

Quintuple
09-23-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm so, so lucky that I get Universal Sports on TV here. I just have to hook up my extra-long cable and throw my antenna out the window for it! That, and use the weird theremin-sounding tuner on the box to get the best angle of reception.

Frau Muller
09-23-2010, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=HisWeirness;2882534

Both NBC and Universal Sports TV will have TV coverage of the GP. .....[/QUOTE]

GREAT! :rollin: I can continue to enjoy good old-fashioned TV coverage from my comfy couch, and not have to be hunched over a laptop at a desk. That's all I ask for in a season. :)

HisWeirness
09-24-2010, 12:28 AM
Some more details from universalsports.com premium video section about the live online streaming they will provide:

UniversalSports.com presents LIVE coverage of the 2010 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Series. Purchase our subscription to watch the world's best compete in Japan, Canada, China, Russia, and France - plus the Grand Prix Final for $14.95!

rfisher
09-24-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm sticking with IN. They do offer more for the price. You get to see all of US nats.

I don't have universal sports TV and it seems unlikely that DirectTV will ever carry it. :( Or, more likely, they'll decide to carry it and US will stop covering skating. I got ESPN360 the year after ABC dropped the contract.

GarrAarghHrumph
09-24-2010, 01:27 AM
The whole Direct TV thing is pissing me off. So much so that my husband and I are thinking about dropping it and going to cable.

HisWeirness
09-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Excerpt from icenetwork.com email to 2009-10 subscribers:

The first live streaming subscription event (2010 NHK Trophy) will begin on Oct. 22, 2010.

In addition to all of the fantastic events that you've enjoyed in the past (including U.S. Championships, Skate America, the U.S. Junior Championships, and the U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships), we're pleased to announce the return of the ISU Grand Prix Series.

But that's not all! We're also bringing you on-demand video from all nine U.S. Regional competitions, the Eastern, Midwestern and Pacific Coast Sectionals, the U.S. Adult Championships, and feature skating programs.

In addition to these must-see events, you'll also enjoy improved video quality with streaming rates up to 1Mbps.

As a reminder, your Season Pass subscription is being renewed for only $39.95 for the entire season and will be valid until Sept. 30, 2010.
I think they mean valid until Sept. 30, 2011 ;)