PDA

View Full Version : Great...another crappy Christian movie - now starring one of the Baldwins

Pages : 1 [2] 3

taf2002
09-21-2010, 03:00 PM
Have any of you seen The Hiding Place? It came out years ago & had Jack Albertson & Julie Harris & Eileen Heckard among others in it. It was an excellent & professional movie about a Christian Dutch family who were sent to concentration camps for hiding Jews in their home. It had a compelling story with excellent characters & good acting. This is the kind of Christian movie that should be made IMO.

snoopy
09-21-2010, 03:48 PM
In some cases, I suspect that Christian leaders involved are purposely dumbing the movies down because they don’t trust the intellectual capacity of the average movie goer. Not that I agree with that sentiment anymore than the general population of movie goers, but I have read pieces about pastors dumbing their sermons down for the same reason.

MikiAndoFan#1
09-21-2010, 04:00 PM
When does this movie come out?

skatesindreams
09-21-2010, 04:49 PM
Have any of you seen The Hiding Place? It came out years ago & had Jack Albertson & Julie Harris & Eileen Heckard among others in it. It was an excellent & professional movie about a Christian Dutch family who were sent to concentration camps for hiding Jews in their home. It had a compelling story with excellent characters & good acting. This is the kind of Christian movie that should be made IMO.

ITA!
It was a teriffic movie,
Great performance and an inspiring story that could be appreciated whether you were a Christian, or not.

Anita18
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I think what Wyliefan meant is that Christians are supposed to avoid the temptations listed by overedge themselves in their daily lives, not that they aren't supposed to make movies about them.

And honest Christian movies wouldn't show Christians resisting temptations; it would show some of them resisting and others not, and how that evolves--great stories are based on those very themes. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a movie but a sermon, which is one of the problems with Christian movies in which everyone does the right thing. But..
Right. That's what I meant but couldn't put into words late last night. :lol: Sermons turn me off, for sure. You're completely right in that some great movies do involve specific religions as an integral part of their story, but I certainly don't see The Exorcist or The Godfather as sermons touting how great Catholicism is.

ilovepaydays
09-21-2010, 08:11 PM
When does this movie come out?

I believe it is going to come out straight to DVD. You will probably see it aired on TBN. ;)

Grannyfan
09-21-2010, 09:57 PM

I loved that movie. It was a true story based on the book of the same title by Corrie Ten Boom.

Prancer
09-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Right. That's what I meant but couldn't put into words late last night. :lol: Sermons turn me off, for sure. You're completely right in that some great movies do involve specific religions as an integral part of their story, but I certainly don't see The Exorcist or The Godfather as sermons touting how great Catholicism is.

One of the problems that Christians working the arts have is that they are supposed to be an example, to be as Christ-like as possible before nonbelievers. If they makes movies exploring the nature of sin from a Christian perspective, they will be criticized from both sides for the portrayal. Some Christians will feel that such storylines make people think that sin is more acceptable, while some Christian critics will point out the supposed hypocrisy of showing sinners who call themselves Christian. There are also some issues in Christianity that are difficult for Christians to deal with or even bring up.

So.....you get movies as sermons. I don't know that there is a market for more dramatically deep Christian movies, but I would think that many Christians would be interested in movies that explore difficult issues.

Wyliefan
09-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Well said, Prancer. One reason we get so many "sermons" from Christian artistic endeavors is that many Christians (mistakenly) expect Christian artists to be preachers.

Ziggy
09-22-2010, 02:16 AM
So is it James or Don Baldwin? :D

Cheylana
09-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Great, any day now my older sister will call me, urging me to go see this latest movie, as she does with all the "Facing the Giants"-type movies.

It's not just movies and music though; Christian shlock is present in every medium. This gem of a "short" story made the rounds on Facebook recently:

http://www.lisp4.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=112065642180194

PDilemma
09-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Great, any day now my older sister will call me, urging me to go see this latest movie, as she does with all the "Facing the Giants"-type movies.

It's not just movies and music though; Christian shlock is present in every medium. This gem of a "short" story made the rounds on Facebook recently:

http://www.lisp4.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=112065642180194

That is really bad. Not even in a cheesetastic sort of way. Just bad.

On a better note. If you want good Christian fiction, look for my friend Tosca Lee's books.

Wyliefan
09-22-2010, 04:00 AM
On a better note. If you want good Christian fiction, look for my friend Tosca Lee's books.

Seconded. Also Cathy Gohlke. I just met her by chance, actually, when we were in the same tour group. She told me she wrote Christian fiction, and I asked for some titles (thinking "Oh goody, more Christian schlock"), and she told me the name of her first book (http://www.cathygohlke.com/Site/William_Henry.html), and I blurted out "I LOVED that book!"

PDilemma
09-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Seconded. Also Cathy Gohlke. I just met her by chance, actually, when we were in the same tour group. She told me she wrote Christian fiction, and I asked for some titles (thinking "Oh goody, more Christian schlock"), and she told me the name of her first book (http://www.cathygohlke.com/Site/William_Henry.html), and I blurted out "I LOVED that book!"

Tosca is working on the story of Judas. I'm guessing it will be brilliant.

ChelleC
09-22-2010, 04:26 AM
That is really bad. Not even in a cheesetastic sort of way. Just bad.

No kidding, it was bad. The twist at the end was especially bad. I'm sorta surprised I hadn't read it before now.

Awhile back, Tosca Lee's book Demon was available for free download, I've downloaded it, but haven't read it yet. My library has Havah, I have checked it out, but didn't get around to reading it. I'll wait for it to no longer be a 14 day book, and try again.

Tastes in books vary, but I do feel Christian fiction has become much better in the last 5 years or so. I gravitate towards historical fiction and historical romance. Some of the authors I've enjoyed recently include Laura Frantz, Julie Lessman, Deeanne Gist, and I've heard wonderful things about Siri Mitchell's historicals. I've read her contemporaries, and loved them.