PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with the Stars Week 1 (9/20 & 9/21)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

rfisher
09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
although ABC has always manipulated the stars, the script and hype, I found several things overdone last night

Bristol mention of the Mama told me play on words/actions implied of Levi/pregnancy/mama's beliefs
Manipulation of Jennifer Gray's relationship with Patrick
The situation well Situation's of not enough practice time
Audrina as the most hated woman in reality TV? Really? Because she and Heidi Montag fight with each other?
Margaret Cho's use of "fans" in the dance
Demonstrating that the Hoff still is an icon in Germany concert series
Trying to make Florence a stiff comedian rather letting her be the broadway star that she could be

I am sure that the type of manipulation has occurred in the past, this is just so OTT and I think it might have to do with waning interest.

I never blame the dancers or the contestants for this stuff. It's so obvious they are given a script, especially those who aren't actors.

There must be a producer's school where they all go before these live entertainment shows to write this stuff. They do it on AI, AGI, DWTS, SYTYCD....all of them. I wonder how much they pay to teach Stupid Script Writing 101? Hmmm.....I could do that.

chipso1
09-21-2010, 07:19 PM
I liked Audrina. :shuffle:

I love how Derek always gets the ringers. :rolleyes: This makes two partners in a row with a lot of past dance experience.

SharonDudd
09-21-2010, 07:24 PM
I saw an interview with "The Hoff" and all he could say was he knew he wasn't going to win and he didn't really care because he has a big "thing" for Kym and she won't date or have anything to do with her dancing partners. :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

As if HE has a snowballs chance is hell to get with her? Come on, I nearly choked on my sweet tea when Sex Bomb came on! Maybe 20 years ago but now? He looked like his spandex was a little too snug in all the wrong places! :wideeyes: :wideeyes: :wideeyes: :wideeyes: :wideeyes:

Tonight's show is a recap for the first hour and then the results show, in case you don't want to sit through it all over again. Thank heavens for TiVo!

rfisher
09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
I only watch the live portion of the results show and then only if the entertainment is good, which it will be tonight. :)

Bev Johnston
09-21-2010, 07:50 PM
ETA: I just watched Margaret's rehearsal piece and number again and they don't seem to go together, based on what she said. At one point, the routine gets so out of control it's like watching one of the old I Love Lucy episodes where Lucy insists on performing on Ricky's stage with disastrous (but intentionally funny) results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mxw0w1KsE

Just watched this and all I can say is what a shame. I was very impressed with the beginning. They should've played it straight.

I wasn't going to watch this season, but I couldn't resist popping over here to see the analysis on Kurt Warner. Now that I've read all of the comments, you all have me wanting to jump right back into the train wreck that is DWTS. :D

Garden Kitty
09-21-2010, 07:55 PM
Come to the dark side, Bev :EVILLE:

skatingfan5
09-21-2010, 08:19 PM
although ABC has always manipulated the stars, the script and hype, I found several things overdone last night ...

I am sure that the type of manipulation has occurred in the past, this is just so OTT and I think it might have to do with waning interest.I wouldn't call this "manipulation" (although I suppose that could be ABC's intent) but their way of padding out the show with fluff "human interest" backstory (following in the footsteps of NBC's Olympic and figure skating coverage). Without all the padding, DWTS wouldn't be able to fill out a 2 hour time slot. I've always tried my best to just ignore all the nonsense and often switch channels for the intros to the dancing -- of course, that means that when I haven't judged correctly, I miss most of some performances (in some cases, that's been a good thing :D ). From last night, I saw the entire show -- the good, the bad, and the awkward.

The Good: Moesha, Baby, Disney Boy, Botoxy Foxy
The Almost Good: Hills Gal, Mrs. Brady
Not Quite Good (awkward, but potential): Quarterback Kurt, Baby Mama Bristol
Pretty Bad: Bolton
Unnecessarily Bad: Margaret Cho (WTF with the bizarre choreo?!?)
Just Plain Bad: The Situation
:eek: :yikes: :rofl:(words fail me here): The Hoff (I couldn't shake images of Plushy's gold Speedo). :scream:

Bristol wasn't as bad as the rehearsal footage led me to expect, whereas The Situation's performance was. No sympathy from me for him. Surprise of the night for me was Kyle -- if he lasts for a while, it will be interesting to see how his dancing might progress. I'm sure that they could have found a taller partner for Rick Fox -- the height difference was really extreme -- I know that one or two of the other ladies is taller than Cheryl. I wish they hadn't chosen to go for laughs with Margaret Cho -- it wasn't very funny and I think from how the dance began, Margaret could have danced a reasonable waltz. And finally, why did they have to partner Jennifer with Derek! :lynch:

ETA: I don't know who will get the :kickass: tonight -- probably Margaret Cho. If I had my druthers, it would be The Situation, whose dancing was really bad and who was really, Really, REALLY annoying. :mad: Michael Bolton was horribly stiff and awkward, but at least he had a better attitude and he didn't elicit the urge in me to throw a drink in his face. The Hoff was a train wreck, but I think he'll be the sort of train wreck that makes for some amusement, so I wouldn't mind his staying on for a while, as long as one of the better dancers doesn't make an exit before him.

Weegie
09-21-2010, 08:26 PM
The Good: Moesha, Baby, Disney Boy, Botoxy Foxy
The Almost Good: Hills Gal, Mrs. Brady
Not Quite Good (awkward, but potential): Quarterback Kurt, Baby Mama Bristol
Pretty Bad: Bolton
Unnecessarily Bad: Margaret Cho (WTF with the bizarre choreo?!?)
Just Plain Bad: The Situation
:eek: :yikes: :rofl:(words fail me here): The Hoff (I couldn't shake images of Plushy's gold Speedo). :scream:

Bristol wasn't as bad as the rehearsal footage led me to expect, whereas The Situation's performance was. No sympathy from me for him. Surprise of the night for me was Kyle -- if he lasts for a while, it will be interesting to see how his dancing might progress. I'm sure that they could have found a taller partner for Rick Fox -- the height difference was really extreme -- I know that one or two of the other ladies is taller than Cheryl. I wish they hadn't chosen to go for laughs with Margaret Cho -- it wasn't very funny and I think from how the dance began, Margaret could have danced a reasonable waltz. And finally, why did they have to partner Jennifer with Derek! :lynch:

I agree wholeheartedly with all of the above!!

Capella
09-21-2010, 08:52 PM
I feel so alone in my Derek ubering. I think he is an amazing choreographer and I don't find him too OTT. Corky gives me nightmares. Mark can't keep his hands off his partners. I will take Derek and his awesome routines any day!

Wyliefan
09-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Bristol mention of the Mama told me play on words/actions implied of Levi/pregnancy/mama's beliefs

It's quite possible that Bristol wanted to make it clear that the idea of "Mama Told Me Not to Come" wasn't about Sarah not wanting her on the show itself, which a lot of people have been speculating about (and which, by all accounts that I've heard, isn't even true).

Just a thought. Pardon the messy grammar.

(And for the record, she has become an activist against teen pregnancy. That may be totally unrelated to why she's on the show, but it's not like they just made the whole thing up.)

Satellitegirl
09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I think Derek choreographs excellent....he's just too in your face and over the top. He reminds me of a bad salesman when it comes to his interviews and silliness after the dance.

Nan
09-21-2010, 09:00 PM
I like Mark less and less every season and I don't know exactly why. :confused:

I rather liked Brandy, but she could get on my nerves as the season goes on. The Hills lady was good. Disney Boy was a hoot, I think he will go far if he has a voting fan base.

At this point, I'd call Jennifer for the top three and I think we may see some surprises from Bristol.

I have no idea how they are going to make some of the dances work for the nine-foot-tall guy. :wideeyes:

Bolton and The Situation and Hasselhoff need to go soon.

LadyGray
09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
My husband made me watch last night even though I told him I feel the show has jumped the shark for me. Fortunately, I was pleasantly surprised. I liked the kid from Disney, Brandy (glad to see her back in the limelight again), Rick Fox, and Jennifer Grey. I was so bummed by Margaret Cho's outing-- Louis used to be my favorite choreographer, but I feel he's gotten too gimmicky recently :(

Audrina was far from horrible, but she's just stepping and posing and walking about to the music. She's not actually dancing... or, I should say she's not dancing well.

LadyGray
09-21-2010, 09:14 PM
I like Mark less and less every season and I don't know exactly why. :confused:

I'm with you on this, Nan, and also have no clue why I've been feeling this way lately.

skatingfan5
09-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I have no idea how they are going to make some of the dances work for the nine-foot-tall guy. :wideeyes:Cheryl will just have to dance in six inch heels (with a three inch platform sole). Either that, or en pointe. :lol: