PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with the Stars Week 1 (9/20 & 9/21)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Garden Kitty
09-21-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't care one way or the other about Bristol, but I'd hope that the mindless fun of snakring about a tv dance show doesn't turn into a political discussion each week. Those tend to get repetitive pretty quickly to me, but snarking on costumes and dancing never grows old. :lol:

mrr50
09-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't care one way or the other about Bristol, but I'd hope that the mindless fun of snakring about a tv dance show doesn't turn into a political discussion each week. Those tend to get repetitive pretty quickly to me, but snarking on costumes and dancing never grows old. :lol:

the political linkage is getting real old. this is an individual that voluntarily went on the show. she isn't participating in the campaign for a parent. she is out there, on her own and fair game for snarking.

skatesindreams
09-21-2010, 04:06 PM
This show really depends on its cast, and as much as I'm willing to give them a try, this cast just doesn't have anyone who really grabs me. But if they had someone I really liked (I'm a sucker for Olympic athletes) or someone with a lot of charisma, I'd be much more involved again.

In lesser seasons, I always wait for someone to "grab" me so that I'll have someone to root for.
Perhaps, Jennifer Grey will be "the one".

Norlite
09-21-2010, 04:16 PM
After all, she's on the show because of her mother.

Yes she is. And her mother was mentioned numerous times on the show itself last night. And the fact that it was said that 3 months ago she was a receptionist and now she's on Dancing with the *Stars* begs snarking about her mother and her mother's influence.

It's all about her mother, to pretend otherwise and hoping that the snarks don't involve her mother is unreasonable imo.

I don't care about it personally one way or another. Nor, do I care about her mother either. I'm not American, Sarah Palin doesn't mean any more to me than seeing some stupid quotes from her on different comedy shows. (And one weird interview snip with Katie Couric)

But it's obvious the show booked Bristol hoping for the constant talk that comes with who her mother is. It's fair that people give them what they want.

Even though it will bore me as much as it does GK.

Patsy
09-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, it wasn't the suck-a-thon that I'd expected--but definitely a long way to go for many of the contestants. I have no clue who Disneyboy is, but he's teetering on the edge of charming/obnoxious and I'm hoping charming wins out. I also hope he loses some weight training cuz he's wayyyyyyyy too young to look like that.

Tonight should be interesting.

Rob
09-21-2010, 04:34 PM
I missed the last 3, so didn't see Jennifer Grey...I thought Audrina was underscored.

I thought Brandy was sweet and has potential, though I see what Carrie Ann meant about her being too emphatic in her movements for the Viennese (or however she put it). I split my votes between her and Audrina. Kyle was entertaining, but I'm sure he won't need my votes this week.

Bristol was overrated IMO, Kurt Warner as well, though he was ok. I thought Rick Fox was way better than Warner.

Margaret Cho's was one of the more bizarre dances I've seen on this show. Multiple personality.

ITA with all (also haven't watched the last 3 yet). Liked Brandy, Audrina, Kyle and Rick a lot better than the others.

danceronice
09-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Bristol did very well. Much better than I expected from rehersal footage--Mark apparently has the knack for getting rid of the nerves. Brandy was overrated. Stiff and bland, should be quick on the chopping block but won't be because of her pro. Audrina is the non-ringer to watch of the women, and given I think people on shows like "The Hills" are usually wastes of oxygen, that surprises me. Florence has no technik but good stage presence when she doesn't panic about forgetting steps (if you could meld her and Bristol into one dancer you'd have something.) MUCH classier than Cloris was. And it's probably a tie between her and Bristol for "Best response to stupidity from Brooke Burke." Actually, stupid question to Bristol, who did a good job not adding "Idiot" to the end of the sentence, insulting and condescending to Florence. "You're seventy-six--isn't that amazing?" Yeah, damn, how is it possible such a withered old crone isn't wrapped in afghans at the old folk's home sipping Ensure while her dentures soak, Brooke?

Jennifer Grey--well, it wouldn't be DWTS without Derek getting the ringer.

Basketball's gonna beat football.

I give the Hoff props for being able to laugh at himself, which is why I think he'll outlast Michael Bolton, who was just...nothing. Bland. Utterly unmemorable.

Which is unfair to the one who SHOULD leave, "The Situation." No practice, but no talent, either.

And Louis--WTF WERE YOU THINKING? There was no reason to saddle Margaret Cho with that stupid gimmick routine. She looked more than capable of doing a perfectly lovely Viennese Waltz. And Randall, for the love of God, she's not a whale--she doesn't need to be in neck-to-toe black with a big floral print. The scores were fair, because the routine was stupid, but that wasn't her fault.

However, my choice to leave--BROOKE BURKE! Congratulations, dear, you make Samantha Harris looks like a Rhodes Scholar.

skaternum
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Yes she is. And her mother was mentioned numerous times on the show itself last night. And the fact that it was said that 3 months ago she was a receptionist and now she's on Dancing with the *Stars* begs snarking about her mother and her mother's influence.

During her introduction or fluff piece or something, they referred to her as a "teen activist" and later said something about "teenage pregnancy." I nearly snorted my orange buttercream out my nose. (I was tasting ... er ... making cupcakes during the show.) My eyes rolled so far back in my head, I thought they'd never roll back.

MarieM
09-21-2010, 05:17 PM
I hate Derek. I love Jen Grey. Bad partnership :(

rfisher
09-21-2010, 06:17 PM
the accusation was implicit. do not try to bully or threaten. it does not belong here.

:rofl: Ok then. I guess you told me. :rofl:

Must clean tea out of my keyboard.

soxxy
09-21-2010, 06:32 PM
I'd expect tonight's results show to go as past years, with the first hour a recap of last night's highlights and no new material (yay, Glee at 8), with the second hour being the actual results show, with Santana and Daughtry as musical guests.

I don't know if this is tweeted or confirmed somewhere, but I'd vote for Jennifer and Derek getting the judges' encore.

Does Margaret Cho have a fanbase? That routine was dreadful and I'd expect her to be leaving.

ETA: I just watched Margaret's rehearsal piece and number again and they don't seem to go together, based on what she said. At one point, the routine gets so out of control it's like watching one of the old I Love Lucy episodes where Lucy insists on performing on Ricky's stage with disastrous (but intentionally funny) results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0mxw0w1KsE

rfisher
09-21-2010, 06:36 PM
I'd expect tonight's results show to go as past years, with the first hour a recap of last night's highlights and no new material (yay, Glee at 8), with the second hour being the actual results show, with Santana and Daughtry as musical guests.

I don't know if this is tweeted or confirmed somewhere, but I'd vote for Jennifer and Derek getting the judges' encore.

Santana and Daughtry. :cheer2:

You are probably correct re the encore. I hope Carrie Anne has tissues with her this time. :P

PrincessLeppard
09-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Why on earth is the results show two hours long?

I'll just check here and see who got booted.

orbitz
09-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I caught some of the performances on utube today ...

Derek IS a good choreographer. I love the ending move where he kind of scoop her under and then over into the final pose. Very nice. Both of her feet did leave the ground though. Carry Ann chose to ignore that. A little bit unfair that Derek and Jenn had additional string lightings during their number to create a mood that the others didn't have.

I like Brandy. I would've like to see her paired with someone more her size, ie Mark or Derek. Maks is a big boy and can overpower the tiny frame of his partner.

The Hoff wasn't that bad. People past a certain age should stop wearing super tight clothings though. Kym looked great.

Audrina did ok. I could tell she was counting 1,2,3, strike a pose, repeat. If she could losen up and let her body flow then she'll be much better.

Bristol wasn't bad. She did much better than Kate.

numbers123
09-21-2010, 07:02 PM
although ABC has always manipulated the stars, the script and hype, I found several things overdone last night

Bristol mention of the Mama told me play on words/actions implied of Levi/pregnancy/mama's beliefs
Manipulation of Jennifer Gray's relationship with Patrick
The situation well Situation's of not enough practice time
Audrina as the most hated woman in reality TV? Really? Because she and Heidi Montag fight with each other?
Margaret Cho's use of "fans" in the dance
Demonstrating that the Hoff still is an icon in Germany concert series
Trying to make Florence a stiff comedian rather letting her be the broadway star that she could be

I am sure that the type of manipulation has occurred in the past, this is just so OTT and I think it might have to do with waning interest.