PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Shopping Advice

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Aceon6
09-20-2010, 10:03 PM
I have an Asus and love it. I hadn't looked at them at all until the Manager of our desktop services department recommended checking them out. FWIW, we're a Dell shop.

dbny
09-20-2010, 10:09 PM
I don't know what that is....

A netbook is an ultra small and lightweight laptop (no larger than a 10" screen) that is optimized for web surfing and travel. They don't have any optical drive, so you would need to buy a USB DVD burner, which can be had for under $40 these days. The Asus Eee PC series are top rated.

Re Macs - I have a friend who is a super IT professional (PhD included) and has his own micro computer, etc. He finally got so disgusted with laptop quality issues (even Toshiba, which used to be THE laptop,) that he caved and bought Macs for his wife and daughter. That way he didn't have to be involved in their care and feeding. It's what made me cave and get one for my younger DD also.
I'm still a PC person, myself, but I'm considering an iPad so I can do app development.

canbelto
09-20-2010, 10:51 PM
I have a Sony Vaio and like it. It's not that fast but I've had no major problems with it.

NancyNC
09-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I lurve my red Sony Vaio. :) I have had it almost a year and had no issues with it. I think it's plenty fast, but I don't have a ton of stuff loaded on it.

Norlite
09-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I have a Dell, son has a HP other son has a HP, husband had a Sony Vaio, (still has I suppose) daughter has a Toshiba, other daughter has a MAC, DIL has a Dell, grandson has a HP.

Crappiest of them all....the Toshiba. Best besides the MAC (:P ) the HP's.

One person's opinion.

CoolGuy
09-21-2010, 01:14 AM
I have a Thinkpad, which is one of the most (if not the most) solidly built laptops you can get. It's black, ugly, and all business; I love it. I bring it back and forth to my classroom everyday, and even let my students use it. I would recommend it in a heartbeat, especially for business or professional use.

If you want something nice, sleek, and pleasant, the Sony should be fine; however, I've heard good things about the HP Elitebook and Envy.

DickButtonFan
09-21-2010, 01:48 AM
If any of you don't like the color of your lap top you can get skins for them. I went to gelaskins for my iPod, they have skins for just bout most devices.

kedrin
09-21-2010, 07:43 PM
I also love my Thinkpad- I've taken it to Cambodia several times, so it's pretty sturdy.

pat c
09-21-2010, 09:44 PM
I have a dell, son has a dell, daughter had an acer (piece of crap), then went to an HP which works very well.

I've had my dell laptop for 3 years and haven't had any issues, son's seems to be working fine as is daughters. So another vote for dell and hp. :)

sk8pics
09-21-2010, 10:04 PM
I hate my Dell laptop which is now 4 years old and having more problems by the minute. I'm trying to schedule time with my company's computer support people to see if they can fix it or if I should start begging for a new laptop.

I have known people who had good results with a SONY and a friend of mine (who is really not very good with computers) just bought a Toshiba and says she likes it a lot. I think the suggestion to check on the quality of tech support in your area is a good one.

And as far as Macs go, I have to say, we Mac users are damned if we do say something and damned if we don't! LOL.

NancyNC
09-21-2010, 11:45 PM
I have a Thinkpad, which is one of the most (if not the most) solidly built laptops you can get. It's black, ugly, and all business; I love it. I bring it back and forth to my classroom everyday, and even let my students use it. I would recommend it in a heartbeat, especially for business or professional use.

If you want something nice, sleek, and pleasant, the Sony should be fine; however, I've heard good things about the HP Elitebook and Envy.

Our laptops at work used to be Thinkpads and we all loved them. They switched to Dell a few years back. Meh. :blah:

Christina
09-22-2010, 03:24 AM
I've had a Toshiba, which was fine until the video or graphic card died. It is on the motherboard, so it was cheaper to buy a new laptop than to replace it. I then got a Dell, which was a piece of crap.

Then I got my Vaio. It's pink. I absolutely love it. No problems so far, and I've had it for two years. One of the keys on my keyboard went wacky and I had to replace the whole keyboard (don't ask, it was a freak bending thing), but I got one on ebay for about $20.

I highly, highly recommend the Vaio.

ainouta
09-22-2010, 06:22 AM
I have a plain black Vaio, SR series. It's super light (lighter than a 13-inch MacBook, in fact) and seems kind of delicate, but I abuse the heck out of it (I take it everywhere, whether it's class or an international trip) and it's held up on me just fine, absolutely no issues save the time I got some water damage on the screen when someone spilled a drink on it (but I mean, that's no fault of the laptop!) It's also deceptively capable - I do a lot of work with Photoshop and InDesign, and I honestly haven't had any issues with performance as long as I'm not like editing 14 4000x3000 images at once.
I would recommend the base EA model, or maybe one with a couple upgrades - 4 GB RAM and the cheapest discrete graphics option should suffice and let you run the Sims 3 on full settings. If you have money to burn, the Sony Z is perhaps the most beautiful and powerful ultraportable available today, but you definitely don't need it.

*Jen*
09-22-2010, 08:53 AM
I've taken my Asus everywhere too. It's been from Australia to Europe and back 2.5 times, all around Europe, to uni and back every day for a year, to work sometimes...

I think it's pretty durable and was happy with it.

It's just the service in Europe that I can't recommend :P

skatefan
09-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I had a Dell laptop which was great, replaced it with an HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop and I hate it, would replace it in a heartbeat if I could afford to! It's been back to the manufacturers at least three times. I would get another Dell and have had the Sony Vaio recommended.