PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics News #2

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72

chipso1
09-19-2010, 05:35 AM
...the other one was at 1,001 posts.

Continue! :)

Buzz
09-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Here is a really nice article about some of the upcoming new talent in gymnastics and other news. It is really informative. :)

http://www.examiner.com/gymnastics-in-national/the-gymnastics-week-review-45

chipso1
09-19-2010, 05:51 AM
The first of two selection camps for the U.S. women's World team was held last week. Apparently many of the girls had issues on UB day one; they used the equipment that will be used in Rotterdam and had a hard time adjusting. Things seemed to improve as the week went on, though.

Aly Raisman reportedly won the AA competition (without throwing her Amanar), Bross had a few problems, and Larson looked pretty good overall.

I haven't heard anything about Sloan lately.

Domshabfan
09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
Russian seem really strong going into the world championships.

Mustafina did the Amanar (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfE-Diox3LU) Vault. 6.5D

UB- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw8TrSnOytI- 6.7 D (had a 6.9 at russia cup)

Beam - 5.6 (she had a 6.0 at europeans)

Floor- 5.8
Nabieva tried the amanar but fell during the vault

UB- http://www.youtube.com/user/GYMBOOST#p/u/4/mBwomYI16V0 Including the Nabieva, 6.8 D

Floor http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xBZ2d1X_cY.

Garden Kitty
09-19-2010, 03:44 PM
This may have been in the other thread, but read on Universal website that FIG granted an exception so that Sacramone could compete at Worlds if she's selected for the team. Apparently USA Gymnastics was late in reporting her return to competition and so she wasn't in the drug testing pool for 6 months as required.

Domshabfan
09-19-2010, 03:49 PM
This may have been in the other thread, but read on Universal website that FIG granted an exception so that Sacramone could compete at Worlds if she's selected for the team. Apparently USA Gymnastics was late in reporting her return to competition and so she wasn't in the drug testing pool for 6 months as required.

I think FIG has granted permission to compete in competition for Sacramone, Dragalesu and Ukrainian rhythmic gymnast Natalia Grudko. I think all three where given strong warning.

Fridge_Break
09-19-2010, 10:42 PM
I think FIG has granted permission to compete in competition for Sacramone, Dragalesu and Ukrainian rhythmic gymnast Natalia Grudko. I think all three where given strong warning.

It was the federations that were given the warning, not the individual athletes, since it wasn't the athlete's fault that their return to competition wasn't filed properly. But yes, all 3 athletes have been granted permission to compete. :)

Quintuple
09-20-2010, 01:00 AM
Gosh, I so rarely remember to come to this thread, but I just wanted to say that I appreciate any and all news people share here, as gymnastics is my second love.

Anyhoo, on the WAG side:
Romania just had its Nationals. I don't know too much about the other gymnasts, but Porgras looked good on beam and floor (though everyone's saying she should take out one of her passes and beef up her dance, because she's better at it). Izbasa has a new floor routine too, tumbling looking pretty strong.

Also, this is the nominative roster for Russia:
Aliya Mustafina
Anna Dementieva
Ekaterina Kurbatova
Anna Myzdrikova
Tatiana Nabieva
Ksenia Afanasyeva
Anna Pavlova
Ksenia Semenova

So two gymnasts will be taken out, and people are predicting Pavlova and Myzdrikova if she doesn't stop messing up (keeping Kurbatova). I really like Myz though! (And an aside - Kurbatova is a dead ringer for Quinn on Glee.)

OK, on the MAG side:
Romanian Nationals - Dragulescu didn't compete, and freakin' Koczi won AA, PH, VT, and FX, questionable creditability on skills and all.
Russian Nationals - Khorokhordin and Deviatovski didn't compete.
German Nationals - Hambuchen didn't compete AA and most likely won't at Worlds. Marcel Nguyen won the AA.

So for the MAG World AA title, people are saying Kohei Uchimura definitely for the gold unless he effs up 3 or more times (and I agree), and then a big uncertain nebula of others for the other medals. Feng Zhe and whoever else from China (still weird that they didn't compete an AAer last year); Horton and maybe Lleyva but whoever knows how the Americans will do; Fokin, a Ukrainian, a (surprisingly from nowhere) Korean, and the stock is up on Gafuik from Canada.

Sorry for the my totally disparate summary and total deference to "what people are saying", but that's the current chatter!

My only real opinion having watched the crappy NBC coverage is on the American women. I hope Larson gets to compete AA, and the other should probably be Bross (of course). So far Sloan doesn't yet seem up to AA form, and although Raisman won camp, I dunno, she just seems not-quite-there enough to make her a strong #3. We're all just hoping everyone doesn't get injured at Marta's death camp.

Domshabfan
09-20-2010, 01:27 AM
It was the federations that were given the warning, not the individual athletes, since it wasn't the athlete's fault that their return to competition wasn't filed properly. But yes, all 3 athletes have been granted permission to compete. :)

Thanks for correcting me :).

BigB08822
09-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Raisman winning the AA at selection camp says to me that the girls struggled, watered down, didn't treat this as important, etc. Basically, I can think of many reasons she could end up winning the AA but none of them are because she is the best AA gymnast or close to it. This is even more true since she didn't throw her Amanar.

Mustafina looked amazing in those videos. Her bars are so fluid, love them and I see room to upgrade.

elka_sk8
09-20-2010, 02:51 AM
Anyhoo, on the WAG side:
Romania just had its Nationals. I don't know too much about the other gymnasts, but Porgras looked good on beam and floor (though everyone's saying she should take out one of her passes and beef up her dance, because she's better at it). Izbasa has a new floor routine too, tumbling looking pretty strong.

So I just watched a couple of videos from Romanian Nationals, and I could swear that was an older-looking Belu standing on the sidelines. Is he back as the head coach? :rolleyes::huh:

Also, this is the nominative roster for Russia:
Aliya Mustafina
Anna Dementieva
Ekaterina Kurbatova
Anna Myzdrikova
Tatiana Nabieva
Ksenia Afanasyeva
Anna Pavlova
Ksenia Semenova

So two gymnasts will be taken out, and people are predicting Pavlova and Myzdrikova if she doesn't stop messing up (keeping Kurbatova). I really like Myz though! (And an aside - Kurbatova is a dead ringer for Quinn on Glee.)

I like Myzdrikova too, especially on floor. Hope she makes it.

Domshabfan
09-20-2010, 04:43 AM
So I just watched a couple of videos from Romanian Nationals, and I could swear that was an older-looking Belu standing on the sidelines. Is he back as the head coach? :rolleyes::huh:

I like Myzdrikova too, especially on floor. Hope she makes it.

Yes, Octavian Bellu has returned as the coach of romanian team. I am impressed by Porgras, but sandra floor music is mishmash and her routine bored me. i wish she will find something as enjoyable as her 2008 floor music.

bek
09-20-2010, 05:27 PM
The Russians are now the favorites for worlds. They are the favorites now, imagine what will be in 2012 with Komova/Grishina available.

BigB08822
09-21-2010, 04:22 AM
I would love for Russia to win with the way their team is looking. I would love for them to win in 2012 even more with the additions of some of those Juniors. No other team in the world can do what they do so well. Of course, they have to hit when it counts but if they don't get properly rewarded then it will be an injustice of epic proportions.

judgejudy27
09-21-2010, 04:27 AM
Poor U.S team. Their fate might be silver to Romania in 2004, silver to China in 2008, silver to Russian in 2012.