PDA

View Full Version : Woman admits acid attack was fake

Pages : [1] 2

Gazpacho
09-17-2010, 01:59 AM
In case you hadn't heard, a woman in Washington state claimed that she was attacked by someone who splashed her face with acid (http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/09/16/washington.acid.attack/index.html). Today it's revealed to have been fake, and she actually splashed her own face with acid.

I can't help but feel sorry for her. She must have a serious mental illness to have permanently disfigured herself for what appears to be attention or sympathy :(

shan
09-17-2010, 02:04 AM
:eek:

Prancer
09-17-2010, 03:48 AM
I knew that story was crazy.

Poor woman, though.

Coco
09-17-2010, 04:23 AM
And she was blaming it on a black woman, wasn't she?

My bf told me there was a copycat case. How horrible if a fake attack inspired a real one. Good lord!

DickButtonFan
09-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Omg I can't believe this. I saw her on tv talking about it and found her totally believable. How sad. Especially sad now that there was a copycat in az.

Prancer
09-17-2010, 07:47 AM
And she was blaming it on a black woman, wasn't she?

That's what made me sure it was a lie. The idea of someone wandering around with an open contaner of caustic acid looking for some random person to attack is nuts. Now there are nuts in the world. But there are nuts and nuts. It would be one thing if acid happened to be right there. But a premeditated acid attack on a random stranger? Possible, but incredibly unlikely. But okay, what's the rest of the story? Oh, it was a BLACK person (or bushy-haired stranger or guys with Middle Eastern accents or or or).

Why do people who do these things always think throwing in a stereotyped boogie man (or in this case, woman) will make their crazy stories credible? Statistics work against them, not for them. Oh, right, they aren't exactly thinking logically.

But my god. To do this to yourself.

genevieve
09-17-2010, 08:09 AM
This story has been on the news a lot since it happened; there have been a rash of recent incidents in Western Washington where strangers (mostly men) have thrown unknown liquids in the faces of random women - most of it has been disgusting but harmless, but one woman really did have acid thrown in her face and the authorities are now afraid that people will think that's faked too.

That's what made me sure it was a lie. The idea of someone wandering around with an open contaner of caustic acid looking for some random person to attack is nuts. Now there are nuts in the world. But there are nuts and nuts. It would be one thing if acid happened to be right there. But a premeditated acid attack on a random stranger? Possible, but incredibly unlikely. But okay, what's the rest of the story? Oh, it was a BLACK person (or bushy-haired stranger or guys with Middle Eastern accents or or or).

I read a letter from a black woman who lives in Vancouver WA (where this took place), who was basically like, there are so few of us in this city that there is simply no way a black person could do this without being immediately identified.

^ This. :wideeyes:

Jot the Dot Dot
09-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Gives those victims of true attacks a credability gap. Shame.

Spinner
09-17-2010, 04:59 PM
This is what I can't fathom. Having worked in many a chem lab, I know what an acid burn feels like. To know that she actually put it on her own face...:scream:

Gazpacho
09-17-2010, 05:43 PM
This is what I can't fathom. Having worked in many a chem lab, I know what an acid burn feels like. To know that she actually put it on her own face...:scream:That's why I can't help but feel sorry for her even though it's wrong how she inspired copycat attacks whose genuine victims are put under suspicion, blamed a racial minority in a community in which there are few racial minorities and thus made many of them immediate suspects, and wasted law enforcement resources.

This isn't a case of balloon boy hiding in a safe place. This woman really did splash acid on her face, putting herself in unspeakable pain and permanently disfiguring herself. She must have severe mental problems.

DickButtonFan
09-17-2010, 06:01 PM
I've worked with acid for an art class, but really weak acid. You have to wear gloves when you use it. I got like a small drop on my finger once and it hurt like crazy. And this was realllly weak acid.

genevieve
09-17-2010, 06:23 PM
That's why I can't help but feel sorry for her even though it's wrong how she inspired copycat attacks whose genuine victims are put under suspicion, ...

She didn't inspire copycat attacks. They were already happening. I think she was inspired by them.

Gazpacho
09-17-2010, 07:13 PM
She didn't inspire copycat attacks. They were already happening. I think she was inspired by them.Hmm, I've heard that there were real attacks after her claims. Maybe she was both inspired and inspired others?

Angelskates
09-18-2010, 07:57 AM
Acid hoax woman 'needs help' (http://www.news.ninemsn.com.au/world/7963592/acid-hoax-woman-needs-help)

Storro's parents, Joe and Nancy Neuwelt, apologised on Friday outside their Vancouver home, saying they were "deeply sorry" and adding that all money donated to their daughter will be returned.

Nancy Neuwelt said she doesn't know why her daughter fabricated the story but acknowledged Storro is "obviously dealing with some deep internal emotional and psychological problems."

"Now she can begin to heal because the truth has been revealed," her mother said.

The Neuwelts said they plan to get their daughter "the medical attention that she needs and the counselling that she deserves."

I'm glad the truth is out, and she's getting help.

Prancer
09-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Why did she do it? (http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2010/09/why_would_anyone_douse_themselves_in_acid_experts_ try_to_explain.html)

Friday, a leading researcher in the field of self-harm discounted theories that Bethany Storro, 28, was crying for attention, trying to manipulate others or attempting suicide.

"The biggest reason people do this," said Kim L. Gratz, "is because it makes them feel better in the moment ... It can really distract people from all the emotional pain that they're feeling."

And again I say, my god, to do this to yourself to feel better.

This story has been on the news a lot since it happened; there have been a rash of recent incidents in Western Washington where strangers (mostly men) have thrown unknown liquids in the faces of random women - most of it has been disgusting but harmless, but one woman really did have acid thrown in her face and the authorities are now afraid that people will think that's faked too.

Are you talking about Derri Velarde in Arizona? I don't know about the other cases, but it seems in that case that the woman knew her attacker and it was a deliberate, not random, act.