PDA

View Full Version : Help Getting Rings Off

Pages : [1] 2

dbny
09-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Back in May, I lost so much weight that my rings were falling off my ring fingers. After nearly losing one down the drain, I moved them to my middle fingers. I have since gained just enough weight back so that I can no longer take them off. I have big knuckles, so the rings are comfortable, but I don't like the idea that I can't get them off if I need to. I tried soap this morning, to no avail. I think maybe I need to find a time when my fingers have shrunk from cold, but I think that may shrink the metal too. Any ideas?

Veronika
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you need to get them resized...

As for getting them off, the only thing I can think of is to put your hands above your head to get the blood to drain out of your hands.

Kasey
09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
you can try lotion or butter. Or, slip a piece of string/thread under the ring, then wrap it around your finger in layers. It should act kind of like a corset, to get the finger knuckle sized down enough you can slide the ring over it. It's supposed to be a nursing trick to get rings off of people who have swelled up from fluid, but I've never tried it. I've always used the lotion trick.

Habs
09-15-2010, 05:58 PM
The best tip I ever learned was to use Windex (or another type of window cleaner). I used to work in a jewelry store and it worked every time. Just spray your finger and the ring well, and it should slide right off. Lotion works too but is messier.

numbers123
09-15-2010, 05:59 PM
A jeweler might have some other suggestions. I doubt that they jump right to cutting them off, so they might have some good ideas

Aceon6
09-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Make sure you're cold. Your fingers will shrink 1/2 a ring size when they're cold. If needed, go for a drive with the A/C on high. Then, use some baby oil all over the knuckle. Pull with a paper towel and they should slide right off.

Nan
09-15-2010, 06:44 PM
The best tip I ever learned was to use Windex (or another type of window cleaner). I used to work in a jewelry store and it worked every time. Just spray your finger and the ring well, and it should slide right off. Lotion works too but is messier.

This (or dish soap). And don't pull, twist the ring off.

Satellitegirl
09-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Cut finger off below knuckle, place in cooler full of ice. Take ring off. Quickly drive to ER to get finger reattached. Works. every. time.

Wyliefan
09-15-2010, 07:21 PM
I HATE when that happens. Haven't yet had to resort to Satellitegirl's suggestion, though. :) Usually just wetting the finger under the faucet will do the trick for me.

algonquin
09-15-2010, 07:40 PM
The best tip I ever learned was to use Windex (or another type of window cleaner). I used to work in a jewelry store and it worked every time. Just spray your finger and the ring well, and it should slide right off. Lotion works too but is messier.Another testament to this. Windex works like a charm. A few summers ago, my fingers swelled up in the heat and my rings were stuck. To be honest, it freaked me out. Anyway, windex did the trick.

dbny
09-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Thank you for all the great suggestions!

Make sure you're cold. Your fingers will shrink 1/2 a ring size when they're cold.

When I got up from the computer (about an hour after posting) I realized my hands were quite cold. That is what finally worked for me. Now the problem is that the rinks are still a tad too big for the ring fingers. Guess I will either have to switch rings or be very careful for a while until I'm sure they won't slip off while washing.

The best tip I ever learned was to use Windex (or another type of window cleaner). I used to work in a jewelry store and it worked every time. Just spray your finger and the ring well, and it should slide right off.

I'll keep this one in mind for the future. I never would have thought of Windex.

skatemommy
09-15-2010, 09:15 PM
Make sure you're cold. Your fingers will shrink 1/2 a ring size when they're cold. If needed, go for a drive with the A/C on high. Then, use some baby oil all over the knuckle. Pull with a paper towel and they should slide right off.

OR. GO. TO. THE. ICE. RINK. and skate (in my rink) for 15 minutes! Just had to Ace, sorry...:hat1:

GarrAarghHrumph
09-16-2010, 01:32 AM
I'm glad you got them off!

To be able to continue wearing them without resizing them, on fingers where they are too loose to wear, there are solutions. One is a ring guard: http://viewithere.com/ring_guard/ringguard.html . It slides on and off the ring, and holds it against your finger when you're wearing it.

There are things called ring sizers. They're short, transparent tubes with a slit in them lengthwise. The slit lets you slide them on the ring. The tube goes on the underside/palm side, so it's not seen. They're cheap cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Ring-Snuggies-ORIGINAL-RING-ADJUSTERS/dp/B0014DGXU8

What I used to do in school, when I wore a lot of cheap costume jewelery (too cheap to bother resizing), was to tie a bit of string or yarn or even elastic band around the underside/palm side of the ring. That'd hold it in place. When I was even younger than that, I just wrapped scotch tape around the underside.

Southpaw
09-16-2010, 03:22 AM
Windex, huh? Seriously, is there ANYTHING that blue potion can't do? I bet it can even core a apple.

John 3 17
09-16-2010, 10:37 AM
The dad from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" was right! :respec: Sorry I ever doubted him ;)

Seriously, thanks for the tip, I'd never heard it before... does anyone know why it works? It's fascinating!

-Bridget :)