PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Nicaragua

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

zaphyre14
10-07-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm impressed with Tyrone and Jill.

I don't like the single-challenge format this season at all. There's too much whine-time left over.

Jenny
10-07-2010, 02:48 PM
It's interesting that this season we seem to have as many people who are happy *not* to have the HII as those who desperately want it. On both tribes, we have one person claiming it with little resistance from the person who was actually most responsible for finding it ... will be interesting to see how it plays out for the four involved.

Hubby saw an article somewhere - naturally he can't remember where - complaining that for the first time, it seems Survivor casting has fallen into the same habit as lesser reality shows in casting several nutjobs (ie Naonka, Jimmy T, Holly) - I was trying to think of past seasons to see if they've always cast slightly unstable people - anyone?

Once again, as with Russell's first season, I'm finding a few gaps in storytelling. Did the older tribe lose the challenge just because of Jimmy T not following direction? Because with the big lead up of them practicing, which seemed so brilliant, I thought we needed a clearer explanation of how they lost.

I'd also like to know why the older tribe apparently has no issues with Holly after her bizarre behaviour with the shoes (although it looks to me as though many of them, including Eve and Jill, are playing the "anyone but me" game).

Mostly I'd like more insight into how Naonka managed to get into an alliance, and the one holding the power for that matter. I'd love some comments from the other tribe members on why they trust her or are at least willing to work with her. I can guess, but I think that needs to be part of the story since they've put the spotlight on her so much.

I hope this isn't like Russell's season when we barely knew the other tribe before merge.

sk8er1964
10-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Hubby saw an article somewhere - naturally he can't remember where - complaining that for the first time, it seems Survivor casting has fallen into the same habit as lesser reality shows in casting several nutjobs (ie Naonka, Jimmy T, Holly) - I was trying to think of past seasons to see if they've always cast slightly unstable people - anyone?

I can't remember his name, but there was the guy who was pretending a rock was his cell phone (or something like that). He was funny crazy, though, not nasty crazy like Na.

Kasey
10-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I can't remember his name, but there was the guy who was pretending a rock was his cell phone (or something like that). He was funny crazy, though, not nasty crazy like Na.

Shane.

There's also been "kooky Kathy" from a few seasons ago, bat-burying Jan from Thailand, and a couple of other whackjobs that were not as memorable to me.....as well as a boatload of general delusional asshats, like Jimmy T.

Prancer
10-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Some of the spoilers are referring to this cast as Erika Shay's revenge :lol: It was her last casting job for Survivor. She can't be blamed for Jimmy T, though; he won a fan contest to get on the show.

I'm not liking this season much because of the cast; I don't get the strategies at work, as they often seem counterproductive and ego-driven rather than game driven, and the focus in the camp scenes is on how annoying or crazy someone is. There's always been a little of that, but there's a lot this time and it gets old. The people who aren't crazy come across as nonplayers--which is, according to the main spoiler, the wrong impression to have, as he?she? thinks Jill and especially Yve have played great games to this point and are both real forces in their tribe. We sure aren't seeing it. Yve is barely there at all and Jill seems to exist mostly to do Marty's bidding. Marty is the only one in the entire cast shown strategizing (well, maybe Brenda), and I don't think he is anywhere close to a mastermind.

But what do I know? The ratings are up. :confused: I don't think that bodes well for future casts.

I think Na'Onka probably is what she is all the time. :shuffle:

jamesy
10-07-2010, 06:46 PM
It's interesting that this season we seem to have as many people who are happy *not* to have the HII as those who desperately want it. On both tribes, we have one person claiming it with little resistance from the person who was actually most responsible for finding it ... will be interesting to see how it plays out for the four involved.
Even Jeff is a little bit wtf in his blog: (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/10/07/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-4/)

Much like Jill did with Marty, Brenda practically gave the idol to Naonka by telling her where to look. Much like Marty did with Jill, Naonka took the information, found the idol and has no intention of sharing it with anybody.

Did it strike anybody else as odd that Brenda didnít even really look for it? She just let Naonka find it. Am I missing something? Is this strategy? Do Jill and Brenda both feel it is better to not have the idol? Itís an interesting idea from a strategy point of view.

Jenny
10-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks jamesy - I'm avoiding Jeff's blog as I find he tends to telegraph a bit too much, and I prefer my Survivor unspoiled :)

My guess is that Jill and Brenda would have been happy to have HIIs if no one else knew about it - who wouldn't? If each is playing an under the radar/pull the strings from behind strategy, then I could see where the HII puts too much attention on you, which is the last thing they want. Even better, it puts the attention on someone else, ie how are we going to draw out that idol or blindside them, and *may* as Jill says buy you a little protection/favours from the person who has it.

Personally, I'd make a point early of wandering off to search for food so that I could always be on the hunt for HIIs, with or without clues. Then, once found, I'd keep looking anyway to hide the fact that I already have it.

Jenny
10-07-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm not liking this season much because of the cast; I don't get the strategies at work, as they often seem counterproductive and ego-driven rather than game driven, and the focus in the camp scenes is on how annoying or crazy someone is.

Been thinking about this as I munch at my desk - I don't know if the problem is casting so much as editing at this point. Look at all the air time they gave Jimmy T, and now that he's 4th voted out, it's been a bit of a waste. He had little impact on the game, and is about to be forgotten entirely. Meanwhile, there are players who *will* be important later on, and we're not getting enough chance to know they are start rooting for them and following their game.

Ditto Jimmy J - I realize his popularity in America made it necessary to leverage him as much as possible, but given that he only made it to third boot, I think they overdid it.

I don't know who's going far, but there are a bunch of players, especially on the younger tribe, who I don't even recognize in group shots and comps at this point.

sk8er1964
10-07-2010, 07:25 PM
So, do you think they are going to just reorganize, or merge next time?

emason
10-07-2010, 07:29 PM
So, do you think they are going to just reorganize, or merge next time?

Reorganize.

genevieve
10-07-2010, 07:38 PM
No way they'll merge - it's a tribe reshuffle for sure.

I've also been wondering about the wonky editing for this season. It seems too early in the season to have the kind of jarring dissonance between what we're seeing and what the players are saying in TC. Agree that they seem to be focusing the editing on characters instead of the game, which is a poor choice IMO. But I think it's a logical conclusion of the last few seasons. Sugar, Coach, Russell... they were BIG camera-time favorites in their seasons, for different reasons. I mean, the last 2 seasons were basically the Russell Show.

I don't mind giving some extra time to a player who exits early if they're compelling - and Jimmy J was not only compelling because of who he is, but the way the rest of his tribe reacted to him. Jimmy T was STILL talking in sports metaphors last night and the guy was gone! - but after week 4 it's a shame that we barely know La Flor (and they've even been giving us more post-IC winning tribe footage than usual), and the only reason I know Yve's name is because Tyrone yelled it over and over last night.

Someone asked upthread if the trend of combined Reward and Immunity challenges was going to continue. I hope not. Half the show devoted to post-challenge wrangling and TC is too much.

Jenny
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
My bet is the combined challenges are a cost-cutting measure. Less building, perhaps a few less challenge team builders/testers, and a lot less time spent in post production, because each challenge probably produces a ton of footage that takes a lot of work to edit down.

They also probably think it's better for character development when there are so many players, but by focusing on only a few - including at least some who later turn out to be irrelevant to the game - it's not working IMO. We've spent WAY too much time on Naonka's confessionals for example - we get it already.

emason
10-07-2010, 10:57 PM
They also probably think it's better for character development when there are so many players, but by focusing on only a few - including at least some who later turn out to be irrelevant to the game - it's not working IMO. We've spent WAY too much time on Naonka's confessionals for example - we get it already.

I'm wondering if this cast has more than the usual share of boring duds in it, and the editors/producers are just trying not to put us to sleep with the uninteresting also-rans.

Prancer
10-08-2010, 12:23 AM
I've also been wondering about the wonky editing for this season. It seems too early in the season to have the kind of jarring dissonance between what we're seeing and what the players are saying in TC. Agree that they seem to be focusing the editing on characters instead of the game, which is a poor choice IMO. But I think it's a logical conclusion of the last few seasons. Sugar, Coach, Russell... they were BIG camera-time favorites in their seasons, for different reasons. I mean, the last 2 seasons were basically the Russell Show.

There's always been some of that; cast members have complained about all that wasn't shown since the first season. The main thing I have always liked about Survivor is the storytelling quality of the show--it's always been like a novel, with an overall story that is broken into chapters that propel the overall story line. They seem to have lost track of the story in their focus on character.

Hmmm, it just occurred to me that this has been something some of us have been complaining about in the reading threads, too--that too many books focus on character at the expense of the story line. Hmmm.

I hate seeing Survivor go down this road, though. It's like watching a friend you've always thought had it together start drinking a little too much. The friend hasn't gone to seed or anything quite yet, but those sharp, clear edges are starting to soften and blur.

Someone asked upthread if the trend of combined Reward and Immunity challenges was going to continue. I hope not. Half the show devoted to post-challenge wrangling and TC is too much.

I expect it to continue until the merge; I think that is a production choice that is here to stay, too. I don't know if it's cost-cutting or increased focus on camp drama or what, but I think Jeff said something about that a couple of seasons ago.

Sparks
10-08-2010, 01:48 AM
I like character driven stories. :shuffle:
Maybe its my inner Shrinkologist coming out. I have also enjoyed the more lengthy showing of TC.