PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Nicaragua

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37

Fridge_Break
12-20-2010, 11:59 PM
:blah: really wasn't a fan on Fabio winning, but rather him than Chase, despite Chase's rather strong showing at the final tribal council. Sash probably should have garnered votes (in the same way I felt that Sugar should have in her original season), but the jury seemed to be focused on the other two. I couldn't watch until today and was spoiled that Fabio won because someone posted it on my facebook wall, but I really checked out once Holly was voted out. I discovered then that she was really the only one that I wanted to see win.

Below average season, and some terrible editing to boot. Hoping next season is much better, although I don't know how much I will like this redemption island thing. Just as long as Rob & Russell aren't back. :wall:

walei
12-21-2010, 02:08 AM
Wasn't a fan of Fabio's win or his behavior last night. What bugged me was Fabio's smirk that he had on after he won the final ICl and his little bursts of laughter during the final tribal council as if he's sure he has won and was mocking the other two.

I was also pleasantly surprised by Chase I thought he would have an Amanda meltdown but he pulled it through and got 4 votes!

Finally, Dan and Marty are idiots especially Dan. If I it were me I would cuss him out for the most useless Survivor contestant ever that he was.

Also Shannon... what an A-hole, and glad Jeff shut him up. During one of his exit interviews he also defended himself against the allegation that he's a chauvinist by saying "he will vote Palin in 2012". 'Nuff said.

Jenny
12-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Another interview with the winner (http://www.fancast.com/blogs/2010/tv-news/survivor-nicaragua-champion-interview-judson-fabio-birza/)

A really good explanation of what he was doing out there and how he managed to win. Also a good explanation of why Sash didn't get any votes.

Indeed, very interesting - fits in with what Prancer was saying, but for a different cause - sounds like everyone was suspicious of him from the beginning. I bet the city slicker vs country folk thing hurt him too.

INSANE that they didn't include that exchange with Purple Kelly, as it would have gone a long way to making more sense of what happened.

genevieve
12-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Has anyone ever gotten or watched Survivor DVDs? I wonder if they show extra scenes - especially at TC. I always wondered why anyone (aside from contestants and their friends/families) would want DVDs of a competition series, but if we could get full TCs, especially the final one, it might be worth it.

Habs
12-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Has anyone ever gotten or watched Survivor DVDs? I wonder if they show extra scenes - especially at TC. I always wondered why anyone (aside from contestants and their friends/families) would want DVDs of a competition series, but if we could get full TCs, especially the final one, it might be worth it.

I have a couple of the DVD sets. Some of them have extra scenes but what I like about them is the commentary from the former players (some episodes have commentary, some don't). There is some interesting insight into what happened that wasn't shown on TV.

Dragonlady
12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I hadn’t paid much attention to Fabio until the last couple of weeks but as the contestants I liked kept getting voted off, there was no one left that I wanted to win. I think the editing kept him under the radar too, which was just the way he wanted it. But I also think people are selling him short if they don’t recognize what a smart game he played. That has been apparent since the beginning, although he didn’t have a lot of air time early on when the focus was on Brenda and Sash from the Young Tribe.

Regardless of what she’s done since, Holly’s early batshit crazy behaviour with Dan’s shoes just put me off and I’ve been waiting for the next blowup ever since. That said, she did make a lot of friends with the younger women and had Fabio taken her to the final tribal council, she would have won, I have no doubt of that. Dan, OTOH, did nothing, other than not threatening anyone’s chances, and was unworthy of the win, IMO.

Chase’s ability to rationalize screwing over everyone he’s ever been in alliance with crossed him off my list, and Sash was just despicable forming alliances with everyone in sight with no plans on honouring any of his promises, to anyone. I was surprised that Chase got as many votes as he did. I thought his performance throughout was wishy washy and didn’t buy his justifications at Tribal.

I think that Fabio is unfairly characterized as being dumb. In fact, he comes across to me as the complete opposite: someone who is so smart that they have difficulty relating to normal people. When he speaks, ideas come tumbling out in a jumbled way because there is so much going on in his mind at any given time. Plus I think he’s a bit shy. He reminds me of my DH, who has adult ADD, and is very shy. He sometimes comes across as a dummy (his word not mine) but in fact he has a near genius level IQ.

Prancer
12-21-2010, 05:19 PM
I bet the city slicker vs country folk thing hurt him too.

Sash is from Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He doesn't like to admit to this (although I notice he has, in just the last week, changed his realtor's bio to sort of acknowledge this), but if he had needed folky cred to get along, he should have been able to play that up. Everything about Dan screams Noo Yawk and he got along with everyone--at least superficially--and even he doesn't like Sash.

I thought that was what the whole "I am on to you!" line of comments was about--there's something about Sash that comes across to people as fake and insincere. That's good gameplay, really, only you have to be able to fake sincerity well.

INSANE that they didn't include that exchange with Purple Kelly, as it would have gone a long way to making more sense of what happened.

But that would have meant allowing Purple Kelly a second longer on screen than they had to and possibly shown her as something other than an airhead, plus it might have made us all think that Sash wasn't a contenda.

Just more terrible editing on a season that was horribly edited from start to finish. Some of the posters on Sucks have been theorizing that the reason there was so much filler on the show was that they just didn't like the cast enough to let them speak any more than absolutely necessary. I don't know if that's the case, but it really comes across that the producers didn't like the people on this season at all.

Jeff seems to be really sold on this Redemption Island season, so maybe things will be better next year.

Regardless of what she’s done since, Holly’s early batshit crazy behaviour with Dan’s shoes just put me off and I’ve been waiting for the next blowup ever since. That said, she did make a lot of friends with the younger women and had Fabio taken her to the final tribal council, she would have won, I have no doubt of that.

I would have thought so, too, but something was odd about Holly's edit, too. When she went to Ponderosa, Alina was the only one who went out to meet her (and she whispered "You have a lot of enemies here" in Holly's ear) and most of them ignored her completely on the first night. Now yeah, they all liked Jane and maybe they did that for Jane's sake, but even Marty, who REALLY doesn't like Jane, ignored Holly, and it wasn't like Holly had anything to do with booting him out. I thought it was all very strange and that there must have been something about Holly that we didn't see.

Jenny
12-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Sash is from Oshkosh, Wisconsin. He doesn't like to admit to this (although I notice he has, in just the last week, changed his realtor's bio to sort of acknowledge this), but if he had needed folky cred to get along, he should have been able to play that up. Everything about Dan screams Noo Yawk and he got along with everyone--at least superficially--and even he doesn't like Sash.

Maybe that was the issue - he came across as too New York, and committed the even worse crime of forsaking his midwestern, small town roots. I could be way off of course.

Dan got away with it more easily, because no one ever considered him a contender and he apparently had little involvement in strategy etc - so whether he was being genuine or real or having attitude about his position didn't matter.

Sash was so busy making alliances and deals with everyone that it made people think about his words and sincerity a lot more.

On another note, did anyone notice the emphasis on money and income this season? I was amazed that Jeff actually asked Jane what her income was on live television - he could have just as easily asked something like "will this make an impact on your life" and she could have answered about her daughter heading to college. Jeff also went on about Jimmy J's income (I'm assuming you are comfortable, right?) and asked Dan flat out how many millions he had.

I honestly thought, in spite of everything, that they could have left out the bit about Naonka's job being in danger. Especially in this climate, I don't think it's right to mess with someone's livelihood in any way. There was plenty of other material on Naonka without going there IMO.

Spareoom
12-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Editing this season, especially on Sash, was so strange this season, and I'm convinced that it had to do with the alledged bribery scandel that happened at the final six Tribal Council. It was a big enough deal that it cost Sash any votes he may have gotten at the FTC, but the producers couldn't show the true explanation to his crash and burn. So they had to manipulate the editing to explain his lack of votes in other ways, like Brenda's boot. Brenda herself said that she'd been gunning for Sash prior to being voted off and she knew that he knew, but they didn't show any of that in the show because they wanted to edit it to make Sash look like a big bad meanie.

That's just one instance of how editing had to be done so strangely in order to explain an outcome, without a piece of crucial information. So no wonder nobody at CBS was too gung-ho on this cast and show, because it was just a big mess that they had to salvage as best they could.

dupa
01-10-2011, 03:32 PM
Well apparently there's been rumors floating around that the next season is Boston Rob vs. Russel so I guess that theory is dead, for now. Redemption Island has been rumored a bit not not nearly as much. Huh. Either way, it's interesting.

Maybe not dead after all.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/10/survivor-redemption-island-new-cast/

MarieM
01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
Not dead at all considering the facebook page of survivor ...

genevieve
01-10-2011, 04:20 PM
ugh, a pageant contestant and 2 NFL players? :wall:

Catherine M
Wow 10 listed with California as their place of residence. I know they all aren't from there originally but that sure is alot.

And I guess being an ex NFL is player is Burnett/Probst new found place to find alpha males!

Jenny
sorry - double post

Jenny
01-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Maybe not dead after all.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/10/survivor-redemption-island-new-cast/

This article also includes a cast list - here's hoping the casting is better than last season!

Interesting that they've once again built in a couple of potential connections - two ex NFLers and a college cheerleader, two lawyers and a law student, two ex-military. I'm sure there are more.