PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Nicaragua

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Erin
12-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Well, and annoying as it is that some (these days most) of the players get recruited while others apply multiple times without geting in, there have been a lot of really great players who happened to be recruits. Yul Kwon springs to mind as a great recruit...in fact I think that his season had more recruits than ever before because of the whole racial division gimmick and it is probably still one of my favourite seasons of Survivor.

I understand why people get annoyed with the recruits (and I do too) but it's not always bad.

Jenny
12-02-2010, 08:26 PM
I also don't care that she got cast; this is just a TV show for entertainment purposes and I don't find it a slap in the face - but then again, I have a life and am not living vicariously through Survivor. I enjoy the show but I am not consumed by it.

Um, I do have a life and for the last decade, one of its many small pleasures was watching Survivor. There are few shows I actually watch, and with the end of Lost and the worst season of my other favourite show, I think I'm allowed to be a bit annoyed and disappointed. :P

I also don't have a big problem with recruits - my point was that if she auditioned, there were surely better choices, and if she was recruited, it was a mistake.

Over the years IMO this has been one of the best produced shows on television in all respects, and kept getting better with each season. I'm used to a lower level of quality on other shows, but not this one, which is why this seasons is particularly frustrating for me.

Squibble
12-02-2010, 11:23 PM
I've been waiting for this:

NaOnka: I was a ray of sunshine on 'Survivor' (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40480790/ns/today-entertainment/) :rolleyes:

NaOnka, did you realize you were offending Sash at Tribal when you said you were the last African American player in the game?
N: Does he look all black? He has a little bit of black in him. When the camera panned to him, I started cracking up because I thought that was hilarious. Sash has part Jamaican in him. I am Negro, there is a difference.

And yet he was in your Minority Alliance...
N: You have part black in you, OK we can align, but that don't make you Negro. I'm [aligning] with you because it is going to take me further in the game.

:wall:

At least she doesn't believe that one drop of blood makes you black.

I wonder what she thinks about Barack Obama.

Sparks
12-02-2010, 11:44 PM
Such a positive role model...

smurfy
12-03-2010, 12:26 AM
Interesting comment from Na - I am white, and don't know that much, but I saw a show on NBC - and it was famous americans doing their geneaology. One episode had a Emmitt Smith. They traced back his ancestry to the south/slavery time.. They did some blood test and found that he was 8X% or high 7X% african, and the person giving him the results said that was a very high percentage in the US. So someone being 50% seems close (Sash possibly). Not trying to sound rude/ignorant, but makes me wonder.

Interesting to think about, but anything coming out of Na's mouth - I would ignore, I feel sorry for her in many ways, besides not liking her. Several episodes ago, I quoted on here from Jeff's blog that Na is just a child, and that makes u understand her. Makes a lot of sense.

Also Sash felt bad as I assume he felt he had some friendship with her. He does seem like a nice guy. It will be interesting to see his next moves.

And I am with Jenny - Survivor has been a great show for escapism for a decade now. Suprisingly, I think, it has gotten better the last several years. The show has continued to entertain me. I hope they will learn from this season and be back on track for the next.

Back to Russell, I loved his play first time, not the second (he beat Boston Rob), but I actually don't think we know him. He was playing hard, including playing a part. He might actually be a good guy. I wouldn't mind meeting him, would be a fun lively discussion at least. But after that, I would decide if I like him or not.

PeterG
12-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Surely they don't cast people based solely on audition tapes that are sent in. Wouldn't they do many, many in-person interviews with all possible candidates before selecting them to be on the show? :confused:

MarieM
12-03-2010, 07:52 AM
For the most part, casting has been good on Survivor in the past, and story production has been stellar. Obviously something changed this year (I know about Erika, but there's got to be more to it).

Erika has left ? When ? How ? (and BTW who the hell is Erika ? :lol:)

As for Naonka, she has to be kidding right ???

Prancer
12-03-2010, 01:40 PM
at the reunion for Thailand Jeff even showed the audition video for one of the women (I think she was a firefighter?) because she was such a dud on the show and they couldn't believe it.

I remember her and the audition video :lol:. She went skinny dipping first thing and everyone thought she was crazy, but then she came down the flu and her entire story arc was basically about her getting sick and giving up.

I think Purple Kelly really is a twit, but I think that the editing this season has been all about making sure we all hate Na'Onka and don't know who Purple Kelly is--well, and then there was a dose of the usual Survivor Alpha Male Drama--that even a good cast would not have come out well.

I thought the editing of Purple Kelly was kind of funny. There was one Survivor a couple of seasons ago who quit on the first day. She was NEVER MENTIONED, not on the show, not in any of the publicity, nothing. And she still isn't mentioned; if you don't follow spoilers, you would never know that she existed. They came about as close to that as they could with Purple Kelly, even though she was there 28 days.

Surely they don't cast people based solely on audition tapes that are sent in. Wouldn't they do many, many in-person interviews with all possible candidates before selecting them to be on the show? :confused:

Yes, they do. And the majority of cast members have been recruits, anyway.

Interesting comment from Na - I am white, and don't know that much, but I saw a show on NBC - and it was famous americans doing their geneaology. One episode had a Emmitt Smith. They traced back his ancestry to the south/slavery time.. They did some blood test and found that he was 8X% or high 7X% african, and the person giving him the results said that was a very high percentage in the US. So someone being 50% seems close (Sash possibly). Not trying to sound rude/ignorant, but makes me wonder.

Sash's father isn't African, though, but Jamaican. African-Americans are, technically, the American descendants of African slaves; it's not just another term for blacks. This is also usually true of black Jamaicans, who are often (but not always) the descendants of African slaves.

For Emmitt Smith to have such a high percentage of African genes, it would mean that nearly all his ancestors were African or of African descent, which is indeed unusual for African-Americans. There's usually a lot of European DNA in the family lines. And that's often the case with black Jamaicans.

I suspect that Na'Onka does not think of Sash as an African-American not just because of the way he looks, but because of who he is. She is from East LA, which is apparently a point of pride for her. Sash grew up in mostly white, mostly suburban Oshkosh, Wisconsin and attended the mostly white University of Wisconsin. IME, people who describe themselves as "Negro" are often referring to more than race, but also to a cultural background, and they tend to distinguish between themselves and blacks who grew up "white."

Complicated stuff and I am probably not explaining it at all. But Na'Onka is definitely not the only person to ever claim to be blacker than thou.

smurfy
12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Thanks Prancer - there is so much history to the 'african folks' in the americas. There are many Jamaicans here in CT and they are 'black', so I assumed from africa, with probably some native blood in there, like those in the US descended from slaves with white blood.

The more I think about this, I am thinking Sash's reaction was personal, in that he may have felt he had a relationship with Na and their alliance was 'minority' and she 'dissed' him. Makes sense as it does seem folks liked Na, so Sash may have been hurt that way.

I am in the minority, in that I am starting to enjoy the season, not the best, but it is suprising to me in many ways. A show that has been on 21 seasons is 'different'/'new' in some ways. Also this board adds to it, to see what everyone knows and shares.
Too funny that someone left the first day in a previous season and I never knew. Will have to research.

Jenny
12-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Too funny that someone left the first day in a previous season and I never knew. Will have to research.

Same thing happened on BB this summer - if it weren't for Hamsterwatch, we'd be left wondering why there was an uneven number of HGs.

genevieve
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Was there an uneven number of contestants the season that someone left on day 1? I knew about the BB dropout because I follow Hamsterwatch, but Survivor Sucks is such a crazy cesspool I just can't follow anything there :lol:

jamesy
12-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Was that the season where they picked tribes and the odd person out went to Exile Island until after the first TC?

(So many seasons....everything blending together....)

purple skates
12-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I am in the minority, in that I am starting to enjoy the season, not the best, but it is suprising to me in many ways. A show that has been on 21 seasons is 'different'/'new' in some ways. Also this board adds to it, to see what everyone knows and shares.

I was saying to my son that it was kind of a meh season and he doesn't think so. He's pulling for Fabio or Jane.

Jayar
12-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Yes, they do. And the majority of cast members have been recruits, anyway.

No, they don't. There is MUCH more testing and interviewing that happens with Survivor than that. I can't say how I know, but I do...

Spareoom
12-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Was that the season where they picked tribes and the odd person out went to Exile Island until after the first TC?

(So many seasons....everything blending together....)

Pretty sure that was Fiji. Someone dropped out RIGHT before filming started so they had 19 players, so one person was voted the "leader" and then that person got sent to Exile and then joined the losing team. I've always thought that having the odd person out join the losing team is a bummer for them; because they're down before they can even begin.