PDA

View Full Version : Survivor: Nicaragua

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Prancer
12-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Meh. I'm sure the ranch was real fun once those two showed up.

Very tense at first, but Brenda decided to take the high road and talked Marty into joining her to welcome them. Alina stayed in her room the first night, but she came around, and by the second or third day, they all seemed to be having a good time.

Purple Kelly :rolleyes:. But Na'Onka, again, seems to be liked.

Meanwhile, they left out some crucial points of timing: if this all happened the day after Brenda's boot, and of course there was no immunity challenge, then it seems that Jeff called a special TC to deal with the quitters. Why didn't they say so? Instead, we're left wondering why Jane was wearing an immunity necklace at TC - since when are they good for two TCs??

I don't get that, either. Jeff did call a special TC the day after Brenda's boot and it was supposed to be so Purple Kelly and Na'Onka could decide whether or not to quit.

Now that is weird by itself. If they wanted to quit, why not just pull them out of the game on the spot? They've done that before. I realize that Jeff didn't want them to quit (and I am surprised he wasn't more angry on the spot, as he REALLY hates the quitters), but why a TC?

And why would Jane need to wear the immunity necklace anyway, if no one was going to vote? I guess Jane wore it just in case, but :confused:.

I think the reasons they showed Holly's breakdown with the shoes was so that she could be contrasted with Na'Onka and Purple Kelly as someone who persevered and overcame in contrast to the quitters. It didn't come off quite right because she sort of disappeared there in the middle while they focused on other players and so we didn't get to see her evolve. Clumsy editing.

genevieve
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
More crappy story editing - they should have just left out Holly's shoe incident, but amateurish choices had them put it in for laughs. The issue is that viewers have not forgotten it, and it makes trying to understand the Holly we see now frustrating.
I've pretty much forgotten about the shoe incident (except when the show reminds us)

This is how I heard it too.
That makes more sense then.

It's true his tribemates never threw him a vote - but America did. TWICE. That alone says that while some may place him the "most unlikeable," many others would disagree entirely.
mmmmm...not sure if that says America finds him likeable. I think it shows that America knows he was the most entertaining (and maybe most deserving).

But of course, we can always disagree :)

Also, I didn't realize he was part African American - what did he ever do to Na to deserve that?
he mentioned it in one of the first eps of the season - it was part of why he wanted an alliance with NaOnka and I think Brenda too - creating a strong alliance of minorities.

This is my beef - I don't care about the pay, but there's no way these two losers should have any say in who wins the game. It's technically not even a problem, because they would have ended up with a jury of 7 instead of 9, which is better anyway. It's a disservice to the remaining players, the other jury members, and to viewers.
Agreed - unless Brenda or Alina clocks one of them and we get to see it. :P

Na I can see as she's interesting and mouthy and was likely to provide some drama, which she did. But Kelly??? Zero respect for all the viewers out there who wish they could play the game casting this complete and utter loser who not only contributed nothing to the game or the show, but who actually took up chunks of air time that could have been far better spent.

At least Kelly was barely on our screens until recently :P

The reason I'm more frustrated with Kelly than Na is that Kelly is a total follower. I think she would not have quit if NaOnka hadn't. But someone else did it and so she felt it was ok to do it too. NaOnka makes some :wall: choices, but there's never any question that she's thinking for (and pretty much only about) herself. Kelly? I'm guessing she's the person in a group who always just goes along with the crowd and will stay home and do nothing if no one comes up with something to do and invites her. I really hope whoever cast her gets fired. Or at least demoted!

MarieM
12-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Russell had a game. He was bold, he was playing, and he had a good strategy. He just forgot the whole social game thing. But hey, I'm sorry, he did get to the end, twice. So he is one of the best player EVER and I am so so GLAD america voted for him twice. He deserves it, and he is likable in many ways.

but i'm a fan so I don't count :)

Squibble
12-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Also, I didn't realize he was part African American - what did he ever do to Na to deserve that?

Sash's father is black, from Jamaica. He told Na'Onka that in the first episode. According to the editing, she was the first person he approached, and he said he did so because he felt a bond with her because he is "half black." That may or may not make him "part African American," depending on your point of view.

As far as I can tell from the editing, Sash didn't do anything to Na'Onka to deserve what she dished out, other than be born with light skin and a black father. Kind of like how Kelly B. didn't do anything to deserve the way Na'Onka treated her.

As someone who is regularly "read" as belonging to one population group when I actually belong to another, I feel a lot of empathy for Sash.

jamesy
12-02-2010, 04:15 PM
The reason I'm more frustrated with Kelly than Na is that Kelly is a total follower. I think she would not have quit if NaOnka hadn't. But someone else did it and so she felt it was ok to do it too. NaOnka makes some :wall: choices, but there's never any question that she's thinking for (and pretty much only about) herself. Kelly? I'm guessing she's the person in a group who always just goes along with the crowd and will stay home and do nothing if no one comes up with something to do and invites her. I really hope whoever cast her gets fired. Or at least demoted!
I wondered this, too, last night. Would Kelly have spoken up and said she wanted out if Na hadn't done so first? Based on the little they've shown us of her, I don't think she would have.

I did read a spoiler (here, maybe?) that Kelly got a shafted edit because she ended up quitting, so I figured she was out. I thought there was a decent chance Na was doing all this for the drama and would change her mind at the last second and stay in the game.

marbri
12-02-2010, 04:38 PM
I suspect Kelly realized after the Brenda blindside that she had no role in this game so when the big bad storm came she threw the towel in. I suspect there were conversations between NaOnka and Kelly that we weren't shown just to keep us in suspense at TC but in hindsight it was obvious the producers knew those two had already checked out. I suspect they planned it together, maybe NaOnka and Sash had their own little fallout following the Brenda vote that also made NaOnka realize she blew all her chances as well??

I realize they are both ridiculous people but I can't believe it was JUST the rainstorm that made them quit. I could, however, see that rainstorm make two people who feel they've already lost this game decide not to hang around any longer. Especially two people like them.

purple skates
12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
I don't see why the two of them should get to sit on the jury.

This is my beef - I don't care about the pay, but there's no way these two losers should have any say in who wins the game. It's technically not even a problem, because they would have ended up with a jury of 7 instead of 9, which is better anyway. It's a disservice to the remaining players, the other jury members, and to viewers.

Jeff Probst addressed this in his blog (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/12/02/jeff-probst-blogs-survivor-nicaragua-episode-12/) today.

JURY
I know a lot of you are angry right now because Naonka and Purple Kelly are allowed to be on the jury, so let me explain.

The reason they will both be members of the jury is because a precedent had already been set back when Janu quit in Survivor: Palau. Janu quit the game but was allowed to be on the jury, so we used the same reasoning with Naonka and Purple Kelly. It wasn’t an emotional decision, just an issue of fairness.

And yes…Marty, Alina and Brenda were very upset when they found out these quitters would still get to have a vote to decide who wins the million dollars.

I don't think they should be on the jury either, but it is what it is, I guess.

Jenny
12-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Sash's father is black, from Jamaica. He told Na'Onka that in the first episode. According to the editing, she was the first person he approached, and he did said he did so because he felt a bond with her because he is "half black." That may or may not make him "part African American," depending on your point of view.

As far as I can tell from the editing, Sash didn't do anything to Na'Onka to deserve what she dished out, other than be born with light skin and a black father. Kind of like how Kelly B. didn't do anything to deserve the way Na'Onka treated her.

As someone who is regularly "read" as belonging to one population group when I actually belong to another, I feel a lot of empathy for Sash.

Thanks for the background - I remember him wanting to form a minorities alliance, but I didn't register which minorities he considered himself part of. Where I live, it seems the majority are non-white, and there's little point in trying to guess someone's background because it really could be a combination of anything.

It would be interesting to hear how Sash felt about it - I do recall that at the very beginning he was also "misread" as gay, and by the sounds of things he has a pretty good and successful life back home, so this experience must be quite something for him.

As for Jeff's explanation, yes I can see the point of precedence, but at the same time, this isn't a regulated game or sport - they can adapt any way they want. I don't even remember Janu.

genevieve
12-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I did read a spoiler (here, maybe?) that Kelly got a shafted edit because she ended up quitting, so I figured she was out. I thought there was a decent chance Na was doing all this for the drama and would change her mind at the last second and stay in the game.
When NaOnka didn't give up the reward I thought she was going to change her mind about quitting. Sigh.

Jeff did seem to work harder at trying to get her to stay than Kelly. :P

MarieM
12-02-2010, 05:06 PM
They should have sent them back home immediatly. If you quit, you quit.
And I would NOT invite them at the last show either. They quit. Done.

jamesy
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
As for Jeff's explanation, yes I can see the point of precedence, but at the same time, this isn't a regulated game or sport - they can adapt any way they want. I don't even remember Janu.
:lol: Jeff is blowing up his twitter (http://twitter.com/JeffProbst) trying to explain this. But it sounds like they may be doing something to change the rules in the future.

zaphyre14
12-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Precident, schmecident. Basically, they're being rewarding for cowardice. Neither one of them seemed to be thinking about the impact of their bailing on their alliances, but were only concerned about themselves.

You quit, get out. Period.

Jenny
12-02-2010, 05:47 PM
:lol: Jeff is blowing up his twitter (http://twitter.com/JeffProbst) trying to explain this. But it sounds like they may be doing something to change the rules in the future.

They should be revisiting the CASTING. And the story production/editing while they are at it.

The thing is they don't seem to realize what a slap in the face this is to all the fans who have been playing this game in their armchairs, or who applied and didn't make it, or who can't apply at all. Na is one thing - but Kelly should never have been there in the first place.

Why was she cast? Because they needed a young semi-pretty blonde who'd wear a bikini? There are thousands like her in California alone who would have done a better job. My bet is she was recruited, and she's someone's friend or has an agent who pulled strings for her.

For the most part, casting has been good on Survivor in the past, and story production has been stellar. Obviously something changed this year (I know about Erika, but there's got to be more to it).

Going forward, they need the old casting crew, and they need to stop casting anyone who is likely to make it far because everyone thinks they are not a challenge threat and they can be beat in the end - like Kelly and Dan.

emason
12-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Na is one thing - but Kelly should never have been there in the first place.

Why was she cast? Because they needed a young semi-pretty blonde who'd wear a bikini? There are thousands like her in California alone who would have done a better job. My bet is she was recruited, and she's someone's friend or has an agent who pulled strings for her.

It's also possible that she had a dynamite audition but left it all on the audition floor. That happens a lot with actors; they kill the audition but then turn in crap performances for the actual job and have to be replaced. (I'm just offering this as a possibility; I don't have an opinion one way or the other about why she got cast. I also don't care that she got cast; this is just a TV show for entertainment purposes and I don't find it a slap in the face - but then again, I have a life and am not living vicariously through Survivor. I enjoy the show but I am not consumed by it.)

genevieve
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I bet they expected Kelly to be more personable and athletic than she has proven to be. I do get that sometimes the way someone seems before they go out there and how they react to the situation of the game is different - at the reunion for Thailand Jeff even showed the audition video for one of the women (I think she was a firefighter?) because she was such a dud on the show and they couldn't believe it. Of course, from the audition tape, which was all 'me so sexxxy', I wouldn't have picked her anyway, but the point is she got out there and was physically so decimated from pretty much day 1 that she could never really get in the game.

of course, that was back in the days when most played auditioned to be on the show and they weren't all friends of someone in casting :blah:

ETA: oops I was mid posting and got distracted - emason beat me to it :D