PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Songs Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

mmscfdcsu
09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
http://www.aolradioblog.com/2010/09/11/worst-songs/?icid=main%7Cmain%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk3%7C169800

Enough said! :watch:

KikiSashaFan
09-11-2010, 05:51 PM
That list is seriously lacking in John Mayer songs.

mmscfdcsu
09-11-2010, 05:54 PM

LOL! I think that the reader's comments actually list better choices.

PrincessLeppard
09-11-2010, 06:13 PM
As Spinner knows, the Crash Test Dummies "mmm, mmm, mmm" "song" makes me want to stab a fork in my eye. Or ear. Whatever. It should be number 1.

#2 should be anything by Creed, followed veeery closely at #3 by anything by Nickelback.

Some of the songs on there are just cheesy. I'm fine with cheese. It's pretentious twits like Scott Stapp who should be flogged. Repeatedly.

PDilemma
09-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Also Nickelback.

PeterG
09-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Songs from this list that will never leave my mp3 player:

93 Jenny From the Block – Jennifer Lopez
82 Some Girls – JC Chasez (from a very under-rated CD)
78 Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree – Tony Orlando and Dawn
77 Butterfly – Crazy Town
74 Do They Know It’s Christmas – Band Aid (how anybody could put this on a worst song list…)
72 Love And Affection – Nelson
62 Supermodel (You Better Work) – RuPaul (anybody who has a song like this on their worst list needs to pull that watermelon out of their butt!!!)
59 From A Distance – Bette Midler
56 Love Will Keep Us Together – Captain And Tennille (one of pop music’s most under-valued vocalists)
53 Summer Girls – LFO (I love pop music!!! :D)
49 Bad Touch – Bloodhound Gang
46 I Touch Myself – Divinyls (stupid fun in SUCH a good way)
43 Everybody – Backstreet Boys
39 Physical – Olivia Newton-John
38 I'd Do Anything for Love (But I Won't Do That) – Meat Loaf (gotta love the King of Understatement…)
35 Tubthumping – Chumbawumba
32 Loco-Motion – Kylie Minogue (Kylie is God)
28 Livin’ La Vida Loca – Ricky Martin
24 Hangin’ Tough – New Kids On The Block (see #53)
20 What’s Up – 4 Non-Blonds
17 MMM Bop – Hanson (see #24)
16 Hollaback Girl – Gwen Stefani
15 Rico Suave – Gerardo (maybe not that great of a song, but it makes me think of the video and how HAWT Gerardo is!!!)
13 With Arms Wide Open – Creed (it’s time for the Scott Stapp-hating to end…love, Peter the Atheist)
12 Wannabe – Spice Girls (see #62)
11 My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion (over-played for sure, but beautifully written, produced and sung)
8 I’m Too Sexy – Right Said Fred (whoever made this list surely has VERY little fun in their life!)

Sometimes I think the people who make these lists only listen to Bob Dylan, U2 and Nirvana... :yawn:

falling_dance
09-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Is "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" really a bad song? :shuffle:

"What's Up" is a guilty pleasure of mine. ETA: No, that's dishonest. I'm not sorry to like it. :drama:

oleada
09-11-2010, 06:25 PM

Not in my book. I love it :D

museksk8r
09-11-2010, 06:36 PM
Anything by Ke$ha, Justin Bieber, Nickelback, and Miley Cyrus. :scream:

Glad "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion made the list . . . I absolutely abhor that song! :shuffle:

numbers123
09-11-2010, 06:39 PM

YES! YES! YES! - I might have missed it but the squicky one of "girls grow up to be mothers" should be on there

An a serious lack of Celine Dion songs

Some of those songs listed I like

but why no "In the Ghetto" or "Tallahasssee Lassie (spelling is wrong I know)" or "doo run run". I think each of use have our own lists. Perhaps it should read worst songs of the 1990's, 2000's etc.

Wyliefan
09-11-2010, 07:21 PM
My sister used to be addicted to at least two songs on that list -- "We Built This City" and "We Didn't Start the Fire." I had a major moment of triumph when VH1 named the first one the most awesomely bad song ever. :D

But probably my #1 most hated on that list is "You're Beautiful." Did you ever see the literal video version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOlI5Qiq-9g)? Classic. :rofl:

ChelleC
09-11-2010, 08:18 PM

It would have been at the top of my list. :slinkaway

RFOS
09-11-2010, 08:35 PM

"What's Up" is a guilty pleasure of mine. ETA: No, that's dishonest. I'm not sorry to like it. :drama:

Those were 2 of my favorite songs when I was 8-9 (along with the Free Willy song :lol:). And they're very fun to sing. :slinkaway

overedge
09-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Hmph.

I think there's a BIG difference between a song that's not the epic artistic creation of all time but which is well written and cleverly/intelligently produced (e.g. I Touch Myself, From A Distance) and a cheap-ass dumb novelty song that sounds like it was created in 15 minutes just to make $$$$ (e.g. The Hamster Dance song, the Macarena). This list makes the fatal mistake of not distinguishing between the two.

Matryeshka
09-11-2010, 09:27 PM
My second least favorite song made the list, Sometimes When We Touch, by Dan Hill. Just obnoxiousness. My least favorite song of all time which always manages to bedevil me on the radio on days I had a job interview B.I. (Before Ipod) did not--Some Auld Lang Syne by Dan Fogleberg. "Lyrics," if you dare, are here. (http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/dan+fogelberg/same+old+lang+syne_20035792.html) It was once on three different radio stations at one time--proof that the universe is in fact in a conspiracy against me. The alternative rock radio station was playing it even! Granted, they were mocking it and changing the lyrics, but still.

For the most part, I found the list fairly thoughtless. Most of the songs up there are songs that most people would agree are not great songs...but they were never meant to be great songs. They were meant to be hits of the moment. There's a difference between a song that was meant to be good that went horribly, horribly wrong and campy dance hits. I don't think the songwriters of Disco Duck ever intended it to be anything other than an overlyplayed summer pop song.

There was a more thoughtful 100 Worst Songs list a while back by a music magazine--it took some real zingers to some classics, including Simon & Garfunkle (Sounds of Silence, Bridge over Troubled Waterand backed up the list with some insightful comments about the lyrics and/or orchestration of the songs. I didn't agree with all of their choices, or hell, most of them, but at least there was actual critique and thought going on there.

ITA with We Built This City, You're Beautiful, From a Distance, and Lady in Red up there. But I'd have added the already mentioned Creed, Nickleback, and John Mayer.

But I lurrrve I Touch Myself. :drama: So much fun, so tongue in cheek...I sang it a Karaoke last night. :shuffle: