PDA

View Full Version : Help me bake a Carrot Cake....

Pages : [1] 2 3

alhrayth
09-10-2010, 10:57 AM
...which is not an utter disaster like the one I did last week!

Backstory: I took this recipe (http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/12/carrot-cake-with-maple-cream-cheese-frosting/) a few weeks ago and made a first attempt. I already had cut down on the amount of oil, and still it tasted too oily and a bit gross for me... but overall the cake was soft and fluffy, and the flavour nice (if not for the oil).
So... last week I gave it another try, substituting applesauce for the oil as I had read as a suggestion... DISASTER!!!! The cake took a life of its own, didn't want to cook on the inside and didn't rise... in the end I got a collapsed gummy thing, with an almost burnt outside... :wideeyes: Normally I think I can bake but this was simply horrible!
Do you have a good recipe I could try? Or corrections to the one above? Mighty FSUers, come to my (baking) rescue!!!! I want to give it another try (a blogger I wrote to suggested leaving a bit of the oil in, adding maybe another egg and substituting yogurt for the rest of the oil as applesauce had been a failure... opinions??)...

Hedwig
09-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Oil? Brrr. Why?
I have a great recipe (at least I love it and all my colleagues did too). I will translate it into English just now!

Hedwig
09-10-2010, 12:15 PM
300 g carrots
5 eggs
4 Tablespoons of hot water
200g sugar
1 paket of vanillin sugar
250g grounded hazel nuts
80 g breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
A bit citron peel

Ground carrots. Mix egg yolk with water. Add 2/3 of the sugar. Mix egg white with salt until it becomes stiff. Fold the egg white cream cautiously under the egg yolk crème and add carrots, nuts and the rest.
Bake for 60 minutes by 160°C.
Then wrap into aluminium foil and put into a cold spot (fridge maybe) for about two days.

Auntie
09-10-2010, 12:35 PM
4 Tablespoons of ho water

hot tub recipe? :lol:

Cupid
09-10-2010, 12:37 PM
I would suggest checking All Recipes for various carrot cake recipes. Most do have quite a bit of oil -- about one to one and a half cups.

You may want to try buying a fresh bottle of vegetable oil for your recipe. Sometimes opened bottles of oil go rancid over time and you can really taste it in food. Try using a new bottle of vegetable oil. That might make a difference.

I remember someone saying that carrot cake has a ton of calories slice per slice than any other cake basically because of the oil in it.

The recipe you linked looks so pretty!

kittyjake5
09-10-2010, 12:57 PM
This is a Carrot Cake recipe that my sister has been baking for years (delicious) and just recently has given me the recipe after many requests.
It does have oil in it and it has about 1000 calories per slice. The cake does not taste oily at all just yummy.

4 eggs
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups grated carrots
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts.

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour 13x9 baking pan. Beat eggs and oil in small bowl. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in large bowl. Add egg mixture mix well. Stir in carrots and nuts. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Spread with Cream Cheese Iicing.

Cream Cheese Icing:

Combine 1 box (16 ounces) powdered sugar, 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, 1/2 up margarine softened and 1 teaspoon vanilla in medium bowl. Beat until smooth.

Jenny
09-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I made this for family Christmas one year, huge hit - it's from one of Jamie Oliver's books, no oil.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pastry-cake/a-rather-pleasing-carrot-cake-with-lime-

alhrayth
09-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Thank you everyone! I took notes, I'll go mumbling in the kitchen trying to decide what to do... I'll let you know what happens! :)

HisWeirness
09-10-2010, 02:13 PM
I made this a couple of months ago and was pleased. The recipe is all in English units though.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/carrot-cake-recipe/index.html

Veronika
09-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I just want to say that I love carrot cake. :swoon:

My husband doesn't love it because he's not a fan of cream cheese frosting. I think he's crazy.

Rex
09-10-2010, 02:52 PM
I just want to say that I love carrot cake. :swoon:

My husband doesn't love it because he's not a fan of cream cheese frosting. I think he's crazy.

He is :lol:
Cream cheese frosting is the best!

taf2002
09-10-2010, 03:23 PM
My recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of oil. I have never had it not turn out in almost 30 yrs & everyone says it's the best they ever tasted. I bake mine in a bundt pan as my husband likes it that way but I have made layer cake with it. I've never tried cupcakes though....not really a fan.

Ozzisk8tr
09-10-2010, 03:28 PM
If you guys like Carrot cake try Chocolate Zucchini cake, it's amazing.

skatemommy
09-10-2010, 03:57 PM
He is :lol:
Cream cheese frosting is the best!

Butter cream is a close second...

Kruss
09-10-2010, 09:37 PM
A hint I got from my aunt - make the sugar 1/2 white, 1/2 brown sugar. Adds a little extra something. :)