PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis Tourist Questions

overedge
09-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I think there are some people here from St. Louis or familiar with it. I'm going there in a few weeks and am wondering what you would recommend doing other than looking at the Arch and visiting the big mall :) Recommendations here or by PM would be most welcomed. I'm staying near Forest Park within walking distance of a Metro station. Thanks!

peibeck
09-09-2010, 10:03 PM
The St. Louis zoo is celebrating its 100th anniversary. It's one of the best zoos in the country and is located in Forest Park.

The City Museum is also fabulous.

I don't think the metro takes you there but Shaw's Garden is also amazing, and should be spectacular with color in a few weeks.

If you are staying in the Central West End (sounds like you might be) there are several very good restaurants within walking distance: Eau (seafood), Herbie's Vintage 72 (bistro), and Pi (American), all on Euclid Avenue. There is also a decent diner (I think it's called Olympia), deli, and a St. Louis Bread Company (same company as Panera) all very close by as well.

www.saucemagazine.com is a local restaurant guide

OlieRow
09-10-2010, 02:55 AM
When I was 5, we spent almost a month in St. Louis waiting for adoption paperwork to be finalized before we could take my sister home. The only thing I remember from the trip was going to the arch and a MASSIVE Bass Pro Shop. Somehow I don't think that's what you had in mind. :lol:

FiveRinger
09-10-2010, 05:08 AM
The St Louis Zoo is definitely something that you will want to see, as well as the Botanical Garden (Shaw) as mentioned in a previous post. The Art Museum is in Forest Park, which is where the zoo is, so that's also a good idea.

Tours of Anheuser Busch are also very popular. You might also want to check out Grant's Farm.

Auntie
09-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I went to St. Louis for the first time during Nationals. The arch was fun but the ride made me a bit claustrophobic. We enjoyed the Anheuser Busch tour (and the free beer). We stopped at in the International Bowling Hall of Fame and got some fun tee shirts. The museum itself was a bit :yawn:. Fried ravioli? Not my favorite.

Bev Johnston
09-10-2010, 02:50 PM
The St. Louis Science Center, also in Forest Park, is amazing. Catch an Omnimax show there if you have the stomach for it!

The old Lemp Mansion, our local scary, haunted place, is very interesting. There is a restaurant and bar there, and I think you can probably take a tour.

If you can leave the CWE area, there are many interesting places to visit. I recommend the University City Loop. Tons of restaurants (I recommend Blueberry Hill) and shops. If you take MetroLink to get there, catch a blue line train and get off at the University City/Big Bend station. You will have to walk a bit to get to the Loop area, but it's a safe walk through Washington University and residential areas. You COULD take the red line and get off at the Delmar Loop station. It is a shorter walk but I never cared for the panhandlers following me down the side walk, begging for money.

I don't think you can take the MetroLink to Venice Cafe, but it's definitely worth the trip for campy night life.

The Hill area in south city is a great place to enjoy a HUGE Italian meal - Rigazzi's, Cunetto's, and Favazza's are all excellent, with Cunetto's being my pick of the three. Milo's is a small but fun neighborhood bar that has seriously hot wings and good happy hour specials.

Grant's Farm, in south county, is free and fun to visit. It's sort of like an exotic animal farm and General Grant's cabin is on the property. Best of all, I believe you still get two free beers, courtesy of owners Anheiser-Busch.

What big mall are you planning to visit? I really can't think of any in St. Louis that are worthy of any sort of unique status. The Galleria is nice, but IMO it's ordinary. Union Station used to be nice but has been dead for years and The Mills is far away and just about worthless.

Do you skate? Brentwood Ice arena has great ice and it's one of the warmer rinks.

Keep in mind that St. Louis does not have the best mass transit system, and if you are relying on trains and buses, you will be somewhat more limited in what you can do. However, you are staying in a great area and will be able to do a lot without going very far.

PM me if you need any further info.

Aimless
09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Another vote for the zoo. They are one of the few US zoos that has hyenas on exhibit. Also the japanese giant salamanders I had never seen before. Very good place, enjoyable for walking and if I remember correctly, it's free.

The interior of the old train station is gorgeous art deco, really an outstanding example of that kind of architecture.

peibeck
09-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Just a side note to add the History Museum is also in Forest Park and is free except for special exhibits (same with Art Museum). I am not sure if the "Treasures from the Vatican" exhibition is still going on or not, I do know it was ending some time in September.

As someone else mentioned, the Science Center is great for the IMAX theatre. It's a very kid friendly place, and I think is mostly oriented toward appealing to youngsters to spike their interest in science. If you're traveling with kids 8-16 they would probably love both this place and the City Museum.

Bev Johnston
09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Just a side note to add the History Museum is also in Forest Park and is free except for special exhibits (same with Art Museum). I am not sure if the "Treasures from the Vatican" exhibition is still going on or not, I do know it was ending some time in September.

I believe the Vatican Splendors exhibit either ended last weekend or will be ending this weekend.

overedge
09-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Awesome information! Thanks, everyone. I didn't know about the Zoo but will definitely go there. No kids to entertain, just one bored adult and maybe some hangers-on if I can persuade some other conference attendees to go with me.

The mall - well, we don't have stores like Anthropologie in the frozen north, so I always like to check that out. I'm kind of worried, though, that the mall (Galleria) has a warning on its website that unaccompanied kids under a certain age are not allowed after certain times on Friday and Saturday. Is there a problem with rampant gangs of shopping teenagers?

UMBS Go Blue
09-16-2010, 07:33 PM
No, roving groups of young teens are generally inconsiderate of others (horseplaying around, mulling about, just plain in the way, or just downright annoying to adults :P ) and don't spend much in the first place. ;)
http://www.stltoday.com/business/article_49340ca7-d6c6-5a65-9419-46025186f270.html

I used to live at a brand-new apartment complex directly across the street (Brentwood Blvd.) from the Galleria and it's one of the bigger malls in the area. In fact, check out where I lived if you have time - it's called the Boulevard:
http://www.theboulevard.com/
Has Nadoz, a local sandwich shop/deli, and PF Changs/Maggiano's, two chain restaurants that are good if you're going out with colleagues for drinks.

If you want to go to a more upscale mall, the Plaza Frontenac a few exits further west on the freeway:
http://www.plazafrontenac.com/
has some higher-end shops like Saks and Neiman Marcus, and some slightly higher-end restaurants like Fleming's.