PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair boss O'Leary: Co-pilots are unnecessary

Jackie Sparrow
09-08-2010, 11:55 AM
No more Ryanair flights for me, I guess.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jkXtO539D8PErOUs_QXc8PRBDTAA

allezfred
09-08-2010, 12:22 PM
The day they have no co-pilot is the day I stop flying with them.

Which reminds me that I need to book that 16 return fare for the end of October today. :shuffle:

Jackie Sparrow
09-08-2010, 12:30 PM
The day they have no co-pilot is the day I stop flying with them.

Which reminds me that I need to book that 16 return fare for the end of October today. :shuffle:

To where?

I don't think he'll get through with this. It shouldn't be legal, anyway.

allezfred
09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
To where?

A place that rhymes with fork. ;)

Jackie Sparrow
09-08-2010, 12:43 PM
A place that rhymes with fork. ;) I thought so :D

mila19
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
I guess O'Leary doesn't fly with his own airline :blah:

allezfred
09-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I guess O'Leary doesn't fly with his own airline :blah:

Oh, I'm pretty sure he does. It would be a bit of a PR nightmare if he didn't.

If I had a for every time Michael O'Leary said something outrageous...

mila19
09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Well a lot of celebs who are endorsed for main stream brands don't use them, they're bound to say so but I really doubt Eva Longoria wears L'Oreal mascara when on the red carpet. Of all the low cost lines I've tried Ryanair and Belleair (that's Albanian) are the most stress inducing, to me at least.
That said, I used Ryanair in 2006 going to Bruxelles and one of my friends had a panic attack, fainted in the toilette and the flight attendants didn't have a clue what to do. They were just wandering wide eyed up and down the aisle!:rolleyes: My friend was actually brought out of the restroom by one of my friends and assisted by us. I agree there are some things one can give up on a flight if willing to pay less but security isn't one of them.

allezfred
09-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Well, I don't think I'd classify Michael O'Leary as a celebrity. More like a DAW CEO. ;) And his rival airlines would be all over him if he used them to fly instead of his own company.

Flying Ryanair can be very stressful. I tend to weigh up the difference in cost and convenience before I fly with them. And I wear sunglasses on board so that the interior doesn't hurt my eyes. :cool:

Norlite
09-08-2010, 03:48 PM
I would assume he has his own jet. :shuffle:

Company owned, for sure. But private.

skatemommy
09-08-2010, 04:17 PM
The guy is certifiably nuts...

mila19
09-08-2010, 04:33 PM
y.Well, I don't think I'd classify Michael O'Leary as a celebrity. More like a DAW CEO. ;) And his rival airlines would be all over him if he used them to fly instead of his own company
What a DAW? :) Well I think you got what a meant. I'm with Norlite, I think with all the money he's made, he has his own spaceship.

Flying Ryanair can be very stressful. I tend to weigh up the difference in cost and convenience before I fly with them. And I wear sunglasses on board so that the interior doesn't hurt my eyes.
:lol: Word! Their aircrafts look like trolleybuses and their landings are downright :scream: Vueling as far as I can remember was pretty neat and :summer: to fly with.

allezfred
09-08-2010, 04:50 PM
What a DAW?

Desperate Attention-seeking Whore. ;)

Michael O'Leary may very well have his own private jet, but he has always struck me as being a very frugal man in the Ingvar Kamprad (of IKEA) mould. I've never heard of him using one and there are too many people who would love to make an issue of it.

The outrageous statements may seem nuts, but they are part of a marketing strategy. Free advertising innit.

Anyone who subscribes to the Financial Times, I thought that the article below summarised O'Leary's modus operandi pretty well:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/073c8d40-e9ca-11de-ae43-00144feab49a.html

musicgurl
09-08-2010, 09:03 PM

If I had a for every time Michael O'Leary said something outrageous...

I don't know, the head of West Jet flies Air Canada Jazz for regional trips. West Jet cut back alot of their flights to the smaller centres a few years ago, so in order to fly to one place in the morning and fly home at night he's had to fly Jazz.

Tinami Amori
09-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Nothin’ new from O’Leary….. few years back he wanted to create “Standing Room Only” on domestic flights….. :D….. British CAA would not let him. But there was a video and a comic song about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymLWycAPZaQ

There is about a dozen of “funny songs” about Ryanair, and they are ALL funny…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN3UI8hBezo&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3so6AJe4UQ&feature=related

Their official commercial would create HAVOC in USA and Canada as “sexist and un-PC”.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2NO4U4g71M&feature=related

There is no way in HELL British CAA and European EASA will let him operate an aircraft with one Pilot for his fleet of B737-800 with 170 to 190 passengers on board.

Hypothetically, one can have a stewardess or steward to hold an ATPL, to go through biannual SIM training and Ground School/Emerg/Evac certification, to keep up hourly and flight required minimums, and basically be PILOTS….. Not considering of course the training costs and re-current training costs…… :D

But why would a certified Pilot, then, work as a stewardess?

:D

He says this stuff to attract attention, I am certain. It's a publicity stunt.....

I love the fact that this guy is Rich and Crazy, and defines authority and rules….. My problem with him is not “Crazy”, but that he is Crazy and hates everybody, and he does things to annoy the human population while in a service industry, so it seems…. :D

I don't know, the head of West Jet flies Air Canada Jazz for regional trips. West Jet cut back alot of their flights to the smaller centres a few years ago, so in order to fly to one place in the morning and fly home at night he's had to fly Jazz.

I think it’s for practical reasons only. West Jet and Air Canada are blood-enemies, so to say….. :D

I would assume he has his own jet. :shuffle:
Company owned, for sure. But private.
I do not believe he ownes a private jet.

But he ownes a Private Taxi..... which is his own personal car, for which he purchased Taxi-Cab License Tags so that he can drive in the commercial traffic lane in down-town Dublin. He kept on driving his own car, until Police stopped him and explained that in order to be qualified as a Taxi, the automobile needs a Taxi Driver, and O'Leary is not it..... So O'Leary hired a "Private Taxi Cab driver"....... :lol: