PDA

View Full Version : "Piranha 3D" Director Disses James Cameron

overedge
09-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Yay!!!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/08/piranha-mark-canton-alexandre-aja-james-cameron.html

Bostonfan
09-02-2010, 06:38 PM
LOL! Cameron really is an egomaniac that loves himself. But seriously, Canton is being a tad sensitive IMO. While I doubt anyone ANYONE expects a movie called "Piranha 3D" to be a groundbreaking techno-driven piece of art, Canton comes off a bit childish.

Although I did enjoy this: "Let’s just keep this in mind Jim -- you did not invent 3D. You were fortunate that others inspired you to take it further."

So true. And you just know that Cameron pats himself on the back for being uniquely innovative.

Satellitegirl
09-02-2010, 07:29 PM
I agree that Canton was a bit over the top in his response...no need to write an essay. Cameron can be a jerk, but to put that much effort into a response was ridiculous.

Anita18
09-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Both are hilarious tools. :rofl: And reading about this on another blog reminded me that I really love the word "fisticuffs." :lol:

:watch:

duane
09-02-2010, 10:13 PM
"What it comes down to, Jim, is -- that like most things in life -- size doesnít really matter. Not everyone has the advantage of having endless amounts of money to play in their sandbox and to take ten years using other peopleís money to make and market a film ... like you do. Why canít you just count your blessings?"

I've never seen any of James Cameron's movies, but think the above hits the nail on the head. Often, the recipe of a successful movie is having endless amounts of money to make and (equally important) market a film. However, the below line from the article also hits the nail on the head:

One gets the sense from the e-mail that Canton is genuinely upset, though it doesn't hurt publicity efforts for "Piranha" to engage in a fight with a much bigger fish like Cameron.

PeterG
09-03-2010, 12:42 AM
I was surprised when I went to see Titanic - I liked it SO much, on different levels.

I didn't see Avatar until it was almost at the end of it's run in the theatres, and at that point the hype had gone into overdrive that I lowered my expectations accordingly. That was not necessary. Again, Cameron blew me away on so many different levels.

As a wannabe actor, after seeing Avatar, I added Cameron to my list of dream directors...someone who I'd work with for free if I were ever to have the chance to be a part of the movie industry.

Plus Cameron has the top two grossing movies of all time. I cut him a LOT of slack if he has an ego. So I say... "SUCK IT, SPIELBERG AND SCORCESE!!!"

:P