PDA

View Full Version : College Football

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

CaptCrunch
09-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Its starts tomorrow night!! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

So its being announced tonight that in 2011 the Big 10 will split into 2 six team divisions. One will have: Michigan, MSU, Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa and the other will have: Ohio State, Penn St, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois. Not a bad idea. Now they can have a conf. championship for football. Also sounds like the Michigan/Ohio St will no longer be at the end of the year. Makes sense cause that game hasn't been much of a rivalry for a long time now. Division rivals will now be the last game(s) of the regular season.

This year top teams in the Big 10 looks to be: OSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, and MSU.

UMBS Go Blue
09-02-2010, 02:10 AM
:bribe: vBookie! :bribe:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74831

BigB08822
09-02-2010, 04:16 AM
I am so glad Ohio can't sit out a week and try to get in to Championships based on a winning season against no ranked teams while most every other team has to win their conference to have a chance to play for the title.

Beefcake
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I am so glad Ohio can't sit out a week and try to get in to Championships based on a winning season against no ranked teams while most every other team has to win their conference to have a chance to play for the title.
Huh? I'm sure that the Bucks played some five ranked teams last season. As for this season, the Big 10 is very very stacked, and OSU has to go on the road to top 10ers Iowa and Wisconsin. If they come through the B10 undefeated and tack on a victory over "U" (Miami), ranked highly in preseason, then the Bucks will fully deserve to be in the BCS Championship game. Even while sitting "out a week". :D

Besides, I disagree with the base argument there. Versus hurting BCS championship competing teams, conference championship games have worked IN FAVOR of teams trying to fortify their BCS bowl chances over the years. A victory adds SOS points, ranking points that go toward BCS rankings ... and it's what catapulted some SEC teams to overcome their "one loss" or even two-loss status in recent years. Definitely worth the risk, and it's something that IMO would help a team like Ohio State during a season like this one where they've got tough road games that could easily go askew.

Beefcake
09-02-2010, 04:47 PM
So its being announced tonight that in 2011 the Big 10 will split into 2 six team divisions. One will have: Michigan, MSU, Northwestern, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Iowa and the other will have: Ohio State, Penn St, Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, and Illinois.
:wideeyes: The Big 10's "welcome mat" for Nebraska is more like a bed of nails! The Huskers' inaugural Big 10 schedule (2011) is a killer: Story (sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/09/02/huskers.sked.ap/index.html)

The Cornhuskers open the 2011 conference schedule at Wisconsin. They come home to play Ohio State, then it's off to Minnesota and home games against Michigan State and Northwestern.

Here comes the big finish: at Penn State, at Michigan and home against new border rival Iowa.

Conspicuously absent: Indiana, Illinois and Purdue, aka three of the four Big Ten teams that did not make a bowl last season.
OTOH, if they were to come through that undefeated, hello BCS Championship. Interesting that Penn State will be Nebraska's annual "crossover" game. Marquee fall match-up!

Got to say that Nebraska as a Big 10 team just ... feels perfect.

PDilemma
09-02-2010, 05:26 PM
So half of my extended family are rabid Husker fans with all the required attire and small shrines of championship memorabilia in their homes who are posting season opening countdowns on Facebook. The other half are rabid Ohio State fans.....(ditto above).

I'm thinking a big party to get them all together next October 8 may be in order!

CaptCrunch
09-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Big day of college football about to kick-off. Wonder if there will be any big upsets today? Not a whole lot of great match-ups. Would love to see Brian Kelly go down in his first game at ND. Also rooting for UConn to beat Michigan.

Theatregirl1122
09-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Also rooting for UConn to beat Michigan.

I hate you. ;)

Watching Florida look ineffective against Miami (OH). I mean, Miami looks ineffective, too but that was expected. Was supposed to be heading to the Big House for my first UMich football game at 1:30. But since I am not ready yet, I think it will be more like 2ish. Lol. And then running home afterward to catch the 'Cuse game on ESPN3.

jeffisjeff
09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Not a whole lot of great match-ups. Would love to see Brian Kelly go down in his first game at ND.

Go Purdue! :cheer:

But in recent years, IIRC, ND coaches have done quite well in their first season or two. And then it is all down hill after that.

CaptCrunch
09-04-2010, 11:40 PM
So much for my wishes. At least next week one of em will lose for sure. :D

Theatregirl1122
09-05-2010, 02:05 AM
Oh my god that was so much fun. I love Syracuse. And I love Syracuse football. But I've never been to a football game anything like that. And now I get to send taunting messages home to my entire street (I'm from CT) that was routing for UConn.

And Syracuse held Akron without a touchdown tonight in Akron. So both my teams won (by 20 or more) and I am a happy football fan.

BigB08822
09-05-2010, 02:41 AM
GEAUX TIGERS! I see some potential here but don't expect anything too huge this season, maybe next year.

CaptCrunch
09-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Huge day of college football today with lots of interesting match-ups:

Notre Dame/Michigan - winner a contender loser a pretender? <G>

Alabama/Penn St - Alabama probably too talented for the Nittany Lions

Ohio St/Miami,Fla. - In Columbus so the Buckeyes should take it

Oklahoma/FSU - Oklahoma needs to play a lot better than they did last week

Oregon/Tennessee - Will Oregon score 72 again this week? :D Vols are down.

With Boise St beating Va. Tech last Monday are they now assured of going to the BCS championship game? Well unless Oregon St can upset them in 2 weeks it would seem so. With their high pre-season ranking and easy schedule me thinks they're just about a lock now to make the big game. More than ever college football needs a play-off. The BCS is a joke. All other sports championships are settled on the playing field why can't college football be settled there too?

Theatregirl1122
09-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I'd like the ESPN announcers to stop predicting a UMich win today. Don't jinx my team!

I'm annoyed because I have almost no way of watching the 'cuse game tonight.

UMBS Go Blue
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Win or lose today, TG...

...DENARD ROBINSON!!! Wow! He can pass with laserlike accuracy and RUN the ball too! And he's a freshman. Hope we can see this guy grow even more in the future. :40beers: :cheer2: :respec: