PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with this type of ankle injury?

Pages : [1] 2

Stormy
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
So.....I injured my ankle skating last Saturday. I was coming down from a double sal and I think my blade stuck in the ice but my foot kept rotating. I felt a pop. When I got off the ice and tried to put weight on it, I felt another pop. The hospital took X rays and said it was just some pulled tendons and that I'd be able to start putting weight on it in a few days, and they put me in the little aircast with crutches.

I kept feeling the pops, though, and I knew this was something more so I went to the orthopedist yesterday. He believes I've torn the sheath that holds your ankle tendons in place and the tendons keep moving in and out of place. That's the popping I'm feeling. It's called pereoneal ankle sublaxation. I had an MRI done and that will confirm what he thinks is going on and if I need surgery on it to repair the sheath.

Has anyone else had this before, or a similar ankle injury or surgery? I've read a little bit about it and it seems like it's a long, slow process after the surgery for it to heal, and then to get your range of motion back. I've never done anything like this to myself and I'm very nervous about the prospect of surgery and maybe being put under.

Right now I'm in one of those big plastic boots and the doctor said with the boot I can start to wean myself off the crutches and be able to walk around....although with my ankle still popping, I'm not sure how much I'll want to be walking around on it. It's my right ankle so I can't drive either and of course I know now I won't be able to skate for months which is the hardest part of all this.

Anyone have anything they can share, positive or negative?

Satellitegirl
09-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Yikes :/ As someone who had ankle problems in high school, just thought I'd say get well soon!

taf2002
09-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Stormy, if you car doesn't have a console, you can prop your right foot on the hump & use your left for the accelerator & the brake. I did this after foot surgery & didn't have any problems. You'll definitely need to practice on side streets though.

This sounds like a serious injury...I really feel for you. Hope it doesn't need surgery.

LilJen
09-01-2010, 04:56 PM
My sympathies, Stormy! My experience with various ankle rollings & then a break is that the soft tissue (ligaments, tendons, muscles) takes SO much longer to heal than you think. Yes, it's frustrating, but if you baby it and work with a PT and are religiously protective of it, you'll end up much better than if you get on it too soon and reinjure yourself.

dbny
09-01-2010, 06:26 PM
(((((Stormy))))) So sorry about your injury. My experience is with general anesthesia, and I do have something positive to offer. I've always been really scared of it, but when I had to have surgery recently, I found it was actually not such a big deal. My doctor introduced the anesthesiologist and the rest of the surgical team to me right before the surgery. I was told that my throat might be sore afterwards from being intubated, and I already knew I would be asked to think of a happy place when they were going to put me under, so I had my place ready. Well, I was out before I could even think of it, and had absolutely no soreness or tenderness in my throat afterwards. I had no dreams and it was as if I had just blinked and it was over. One thing that helped was having complete confidence in my doctor. While I would avoid anesthesia if possible, I no longer fear it at all.

I know being injured is a huge bummer, but since it is now your reality, here is a positive way to think about it: we are incredibly lucky to live when and where this kind of injury can be treated, and full mobility restored. (Someone please tell me if I'm getting boring or annoying with all the positivity; it's really just where I am now.)

Moto Guzzi
09-02-2010, 01:07 AM
(((Stormy))) I'm sorry about your ankle and hope it doesn't need surgery. :(

Stormy
09-02-2010, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone! :) Another thing I've found is I couldn't sleep with the heavy boot on. This thing weighs a ton. I tried last night and ended up taking it off and putting the little aircast on. I know the doc said I have to keep it on to sleep so I have to try it again tonight.

ChelleC
09-02-2010, 02:29 AM
I had to sleep with the boot on when my ankle was broken. It does take a little bit getting used to. It took me several nights.

I pray you don't need surgery, and that you have a speedy recovery!

Cheylana
09-02-2010, 03:26 AM
I don't know anything about that injury, but I hope you recover soon. I kind of hurt just reading about it! :(

*Jen*
09-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Ouch, Stormy. That sucks.

I did something less severe (I think) a few years ago. I tore all the ligaments on the outside of my right ankle and couldn't walk for weeks. It didn't help that I didn't get the appropriate treatment until 9 days in. I should have had surgery but...

Anyway, the most important thing for me was physiotherapy. I went 3 times a week for the next 10 weeks, until my range of movement was acceptable. It was 6 months before it was close to normal though, and more like 8 months before I could jog again without pain.

Ankle injuries have a very high rate of reinjury within a year, and sure enough, I did it again. The second time I didn't have any ligaments left to tear, but did some other nasty stuff. Cue another 6 weeks physio...

It's frustrating, but the most important thing once you've had surgery (if you need it) is the proprioceptive treatment to strengthen it again. If you don't do that, you'll most likely hurt yourself again. I have a link somewhere I'll post about that (as soon as I find it).

Stormy
09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
From what I read, this injury doesn't seem to heal itself well, so even if the doc says they want to try to heal it without surgery, I am inclined to just have it anyways. The tendons themselves are fine....they just don't stay in place. :) I'm dying to know what the MRI results show....maybe it will be better than I think.

sk8er1964
09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
(((Stormy)))

I've been under once with surgery (not for an ankle). It wasn't scary at all. They gave me some sort of tranqualizer beforehand, then the last thing I remember was saying something inane to the doctor in the bright surgery room. Then I woke up in a recovery room bed and about an hour later went home.

zaphyre14
09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
I had ankle surgery a couple years ago and founf that it took a lot longer to heal than I thought it should. But once it did heal, it's been better than new. The key was being relentless about the PT aafterward. I still do some of the ankle exercizes, just to keep the joint flexible. But my surgery was a last resort, following years of PT and alternative treatments, until finally there was nothing left to do.

jp1andonly
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Stormy: Yup..did hte exact thing except I was working on loops (figure type) and my foot got stuck in a rut but my body kept going .I heard those pops and immediately thought I broke my ankle. Swelling was immediate. Turns out grade 2 ankle sprain...pulled this and that. No surgery but was pretty darn close

Healing time is LONG! It's been 2 years and it still bugs me. Do not go anywhere near ice until youve done physio. As the old saying goes, once youve sprained your ankle youre more apt to do it again...Very true. I actually wish I had just broken the darn thing so the healing time would have been quicker....

*Jen*
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Healing time is LONG! It's been 2 years and it still bugs me. Do not go anywhere near ice until youve done physio. As the old saying goes, once youve sprained your ankle youre more apt to do it again...Very true. I actually wish I had just broken the darn thing so the healing time would have been quicker....

Shouldn't she ice it regularly before PT?

Mine was a grade 3 ankle sprain and I agree with you. It would have healed so much faster if I'd broken it :wall:

ETA - Oops! Just realised you meant ice as in skating, not ice as in icepack. Sorry :o