PDA

View Full Version : Plantar fasciitis

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cheylana
08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Has anyone had this??? This basically came out of nowhere while I was running in Central Park last Tuesday. It was extremely painful! A podiatrist diagnosed me last Wednesday with acute plantar fasciitis, and now I'm being fitted for orthotics. I never even heard of this before. I'm particularly wondering how long it will take before that foot is pain-free and I can go back to my yoga practice (I'm thinking downward dog and balance moves are out for the time being). Also, should I quit running entirely? I definitely don't want to get this injury again. Any thoughts are welcome!

dbny
08-31-2010, 04:57 PM
I've had it, my DH had it and several friends of mine have had it. I never went to a doctor for it, but found accidentally, that if I tied my sneakers especially tight over the arch, I could go pain free longer. Mine went away on it's own within 6 months. Most cases do resolve for no known reason. My DH was told to stretch the achilles and began going down stairs backwards on the balls of his feet daily to do that. That did seem to help and his case resolved faster than mine had. He still does the backwards stairs at least once a day. One of my friends already wore orthotics and also did yoga. I'm sorry, but I don't know what she did to help, but hers also went away. The other friend got orthotics and custom Birken$tock$ (my favorite sandal, but they are expensive.) I think she did PT. I don't know anyone who suffered for more than a year, but that is a pretty long time to have pain while standing! Hope this helps and hope yours goes away soon.

AxelAnnie
08-31-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh man....nasty stuff. I suffered with it for several years. I had three cortisone shorts during that time. Thank goodness for the pain relief. I used Orthotics....helped a bit.

I just have to be really careful about what shoes I use. Good luck.

If it is fresh, and an isolated incident, I would highly recommend the shot.....calms everything down, reduces the swelling so things can heal. Then you could just be careful.

BigB08822
08-31-2010, 05:19 PM
I also had it, very painful! Mine would come and go. I haven't had a case of it in years, probably because I quit being so physically active. Mine was at its worst when I was on the tennis team in high school. I didn't do anything that I know of to make it stop, it just finally would go away.

PRlady
08-31-2010, 05:32 PM
I'm just getting over it. Learning to sleep with my foot in the equivalent of a ski boot wasn't easy. I finally figured out I had gotten it because I changed workout shoes, when I went back to my old brand, and eased up on high-impact exercise for a few months, it got better.

I also spent about $500 on new shoes. :( For several months, all I've worn have been Naots, Softts and a too-expensive pair of Italian pumps when I had to look dressed-up. It's not just the heel-height, you need cushioning inside the shoe (the orthotics)and a bit of a heel, never wear flats or flip-flops.

And, this is the awful thing, you can not go barefoot. At all. I bought a pair of soft, thick spa flip-flops to wear inside and I put them on even to go pee in the middle of the night. No barefoot til you're all better!

(And ETA to say that the best advice I got on this, back in March-April, was.....on FSU. :D)

Kasey
08-31-2010, 05:33 PM
I had it quite a few years ago, in both feet, because I have bone spurs in both heels that tends to trigger it. I got a cortisone injection in each heel at the time, and have had NO problems since (and am a lot more active now than I was then). Don't have orthotics, and have had no troubles. I hope that what they are doing for you will help, cuz I remember that pain! My sympathies to you.

smurfy
08-31-2010, 05:42 PM
I had it in both feet, one not so bad, and not extreme. But I did what my doctor told me to do:
-do not walk barefoot - I invested in decent slippers (Haeflinger sp?) - really makes a difference
-took a water bottle, put water in it and froze it. At night roll bottom of feet on it, it does help
-I walk for exercise, always bought walking shoes and this one shoe store in town that is really good, they recommended running shoes. That seems to help.
It has gone away!
-the orthotic I used - DrScholl's over the counter helped too
My doctor recommended these steps and if they did not work, she said to call back. It did get better. I do not walk barefoot ever now (not even to bathroom in the middle of the night same as PRLady). It is odd how in such a short amount of time, my habits changed to always put the slippers on!
Good luck.

tahoesky
08-31-2010, 06:00 PM
I have it. It is under control now but was very painful at it's worst. I didn't end up going to a doctor because someone I knew at the time had been dealing with it and gave me her doctors instructions. Like above first and formost is shoes. I ended up in $100 plus sneakers for quite a few years. I now have more leeway in shoes I can wear but am still very careful. No bare feet walking at all. She also passed on a flex exercise from the doctor that was very helpful. When you wake up in the morning before you get out of bed flex your feet forward and back about 5 times or so on each. Also you can do this if you have been sitting quite awhile before you stand up. It did help quite a bit. Between shoes and flexing I was able to start walking without a limp and minimal pain in quite a short time.

skatemommy
08-31-2010, 08:11 PM
My chiropractor does kinesio taping and cold laser. A good one can help you.

scheherazade
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Eek, I'm so sorry! I've never had it but it's one of the things I'm always afraid of while I'm training. I've barely been running since the Brooklyn Half (weather, sprained toe, blah) but when I started up again I started developing shin splints, which I hadn't had in over two years. Taking another break but hoping to get back to it next week when the weather cools down again.

My best advice for any running injury, though, is ice. Ice ice ice ice ice. Without it I never would have gotten through my first half marathon. (Ice heals the body and the soul! Ah, figure skating...) And definitely take time to let it heal. And then for sure make sure you're wearing the right shoes. I really recommend JackRabbit -- they have a store on the UES (85th and Lex) and also on 14th.

I hope the pain simmers down enough for you to run in the fall! I can't wait to hit up Central Park when the leaves start to change. Good luck and let us know how you progress!

Wiery
08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
No, you don't have to quit running forever...just slow down for awhile. Cross-Train-bike, swim, elliptical machine, weights, yoga, etc...

Taping works wonders...several ways to do it...

http://sportsmedinfo.net/reviews/index.php/blog-topics/93-kinesio-plantar-fasciitis

http://www.athletictapeinfo.com/kinesiology-tape-2/996-a-simple-way-to-tape-plantar-fasciitis/

Octoberopals
08-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Both of my sisters have had it [1 sister in both feet & the other sister only in one foot, so far]. They did all that is mentioned by everyone in this thread, but in the end they both had to have surgery to make a little cut in the tendon because it simply would not loosen up. 1 week, no contact with the floor, then 3 weeks with crutches, & then 6 weeks of therapy. The sisters & their feet are fine now, but the time involved was immense. Good Luck!!!!

sk8pics
08-31-2010, 10:18 PM
I had it, too. Lots of massage and stretching. I would stretch the bottom of my foot before I got out of bed in the morning. And really dig in and massage the tender areas. Advil at prescription strength doses. Mine went away, too. Now I'm also careful to not wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row, since if you are wearing the same pair all the time that can cause issues. I have two pairs of shoes I use for walking/jogging, and I alternate them as well.

Good luck!

Cheylana
09-01-2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks for all of this!!! It's encouraging to know that it can go away, but a little discouraging that it seems to take so long. It's also troubling that I can't be barefoot at all. I guess that means no yoga for quite a while? Yoga is done barefoot, I can't even go into the studio with shoes, let alone practice... Stupid running is screwing with my yoga! :(

I've been icing the foot and taking a prescription anti-inflammatory. I'll have to add the stretching and massage to the repertoire and invest in those special slippers too.

PRLady, my podiatrist is also urging me to stay in high heels. I have bad feet and find high heels very uncomfortable as a general matter, so I'm all about flats... I'll need to get to the store pronto to find a comfortable pair of high heels. Hmm...

Lacey
09-01-2010, 01:13 AM
So, I was going to jump on here and say that both of my girls had it. They have different fathers and very different feet, so nothing inherited here. And, aha, I realized that I went walking in my Mephisto standard sandals (sort of supported flip flops) in an indoor mall to escape the heat a month ago, and came home with a very sore area on the bottom of my foot near the arch. Have truly suffered for a month. I switched to a great pair of Naot mary janes and added a Dr. Scholl under heel pad, but that didn't make it go away. Now I read this thread and---ta da, what I have must be what plantar fasciatis is. Now I have changed my shoe insert to a much bigger orthotic type arch support. Will let you know if I improve. And I think I will try the no bare feet thing too.