PDA

View Full Version : Plantar fasciitis

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

PRlady
09-01-2010, 01:20 AM
PRLady, my podiatrist is also urging me to stay in high heels. I have bad feet and find high heels very uncomfortable as a general matter, so I'm all about flats... I'll need to get to the store pronto to find a comfortable pair of high heels. Hmm...

It seems so counter-intuitive, when you have sore feet, high heels? But otherwise the angle of your foot to your leg when walking will make the condition worse. You don't need stilettos, a modest 1.5 inch heel will do. These, in two different colors, are pretty much what I've worn all summer: http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-cannes-midnight-black-leather.

And those Italian pumps that cost way too much at Comfort Shoes are also less than 2" high. But believe me, a few more days of the pain and the investment will be more than worth it. :(

Cheylana
09-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Lacey, yes, it definitely sounds like you have plantar fasciitis. Apparently it is fairly common even though I had never heard of it before my diagnosis last week. You might want to start icing the foot and maybe invest in some orthotics, although they are expensive.

PRLady, I'm definitely going to invest in some of those heeled shoes you mentioned. Like, immediately.

Moto Guzzi
09-01-2010, 01:50 AM
I've had it and months of doctors' visits and foot exercises helped a little but not enough. I finally gave up on hoping the pain would go away and started going to tap and jazz classes again. Within a few months, the pain was gone and it's never come back. I think all the dancing on the balls of my feet stretched my feet far more than the foot exercises did.

dbny
09-01-2010, 01:52 AM
PRLady, my podiatrist is also urging me to stay in high heels. I have bad feet and find high heels very uncomfortable as a general matter, so I'm all about flats... I'll need to get to the store pronto to find a comfortable pair of high heels. Hmm...

My DH was told to stretch the achilles. Wearing any kind of heel does the exact opposite, so it makes no sense to me. I hate high heels as the pressure on the balls of my feet is painful. Birkenstocks have been the one shoe that is comfortable for me all the time. (I only had two pair when I had PF, and rarely wore them back then.) I always wear them inside instead of going barefoot, it just feels better.

I realized that I went walking in my Mephisto standard sandals (sort of supported flip flops) in an indoor mall to escape the heat a month ago, and came home with a very sore area on the bottom of my foot near the arch. Have truly suffered for a month. I switched to a great pair of Naot mary janes and added a Dr. Scholl under heel pad, but that didn't make it go away. Now I read this thread and---ta da, what I have must be what plantar fasciatis is. Now I have changed my shoe insert to a much bigger orthotic type arch support. Will let you know if I improve. And I think I will try the no bare feet thing too.

I'm not so sure it's plantar fasciitis. The one really diagnostic symptom is that your feet hurt the minute you stand up on them in the morning.

Icetalavista
09-01-2010, 01:57 AM
I have it too.

For me, it makes *ALL* the difference to stretch my feet/calves strongly *before* getting out of bed in the morning. I take the sheet, hook it around the ball of my foot, grab both ends, and pull. If I don't do this I'm mincing around in pain. If I do do it, I can walk comfortably. And I still walk barefoot in the house sometimes. :slinkaway

I also take a tennis ball and roll it under my arch to stretch it further.

Not sure when it will go away. I'm a nurse and pound my feet on hospital floors.

Icetalavista
09-01-2010, 02:00 AM
And I wear custom-fitted orthotics in both shoes.

backspin
09-01-2010, 02:22 AM
I had it several years ago. Here's what my doc told me to do: twice a day (morning/night), roll a golf ball over the sole of your feet, especially the heel (ball on the floor, running your foot over it), as hard as you can bear, for 5 minutes or so. This is going to hurt!! But I did it, and it went away for good. I can't remember how long it took--for me I don't think it was super long, but it wasn't a super bad case to begin with.

I have a friend who is a long distance runner, who also got it & had to quit running. I told him about the golf ball thing--it went away for him too & he was able to run again! And still is running years later.

Good luck--I hope one of these remedies works for you!

Lacey
09-01-2010, 02:43 AM
I'm not so sure it's plantar fasciitis. The one really diagnostic symptom is that your feet hurt the minute you stand up on them in the morning.

Yes, that's exactly right, the pain on getting out of bed in the morning is on the money. I am going to stop going barefoot. And I may try that thing about walking down the stairs backwards. And maybe heels too, but haven't worn them in years.

Lurking Skater
09-01-2010, 03:02 AM
I've had nine cortisone shots between my two feet along with the night splints and orthotics. I'm pain free unless I walk around too much in sandals or barefoot. Stretching and ice also help but it just takes time to heal.

Ice Queen
09-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Sorry to hear you have plantar fasciitis, and hope your feet feel better soon.

I've had it in both feet since I was a teenager. I severely injured both feet taking ballet (toe) dancing. Back then I was misdiagnosed and told to go barefoot as much as possible. They also taped my feet which increased the pain. So my foot pain has been a chronic problem ever since. My pain is all in the arches of my feet. The dr also said I had deformed bones in my feet, which made me more prone to this condition. I inquired about orthotics, and he did not recommend them after doing x-rays of my feet. He felt it would increase my pain. Since I cannot wear anything "hard" on my arch area. I do use an over the counter arch support all the time. All these years I've tried every brand on the market. The trick is finding one that works for your feet.

I am now in my early 50's and saw an orthopedic a few years ago. He gave me the stretching exercises, as mentioned in the other posts. At first it really hurt to do the exercises, but they have been the miracle I was hoping for. As the others have suggested, start stretching before you get out of bed. I've been doing them daily as often as possible really helps. My pain worsens when I have to stand for any period of time. Now when I have to stand I just do the stretches and it helps. I also found balancing on the balls of my feet while standing, takes the pressure off the arch.

Comfortable shoes are a must, and this is basically trial and error to find which works best for you. I have tried many types of athletic shoes. (Nike, Reebok, Asics). I now wear Easy Spirit, comfort level 3 shoes. They make dress/casual shoes too. These shoes have enabled me to walk and bike for miles. I can tell you that I cannot run at all, the pounding will bring on foot pain.

Also ice has never helped me. Soaking my feet in warm water or better yet a whirlpool really helps. Or I use a heating pad.

I am fortunate that skating has never bothered my feet, but makes them feel better. :)

Please keep us updated on how you are feeling. Let me know if you have any questions, as I'd be happy to offer more advice.

Cheylana
09-01-2010, 03:26 AM
I am so grateful for all of this advice! Going to start putting some of this into action tonight. I had forgotten that one of my yoga instructors had also recommended the golf ball method, so that it definitely on my list! I sure hope to go barefoot again someday, I really enjoy being barefoot, especially in 93 degree heat (like today!)

Additional stories, advice, etc. all welcome!!!

dbny
09-01-2010, 03:28 AM
Yes, that's exactly right, the pain on getting out of bed in the morning is on the money. I am going to stop going barefoot. And I may try that thing about walking down the stairs backwards. And maybe heels too, but haven't worn them in years.

Sorry. Have you ever worn Birkenstock sandals? You could try them in a store and if they feel right, look for them on ebay, where you'll get a better price. I've worked 5 hour days on the ice, and putting my Birkenstocks on has been a tremendous relief.

Jem X
09-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Good luck, Cheylana. I found that Brooks running shoes really helped with arch support. Also, I took an anti-inflammatory for about 4 mths. You might be able to use these arch supports while doing yoga. I used to have them and I would wear them while sleeping.
http://www.footsmart.com/C-Foot-Arch-Supports-46.aspx
I had the arch-huggers, or something very similar to them.

Bev Johnston
09-01-2010, 03:32 PM
My DH was told to stretch the achilles. Wearing any kind of heel does the exact opposite, so it makes no sense to me. I hate high heels as the pressure on the balls of my feet is painful. Birkenstocks have been the one shoe that is comfortable for me all the time. (I only had two pair when I had PF, and rarely wore them back then.) I always wear them inside instead of going barefoot, it just feels better.

Keep in mind that by "high heels", I believe that everyone means heels that are no higher than 2". The heel really helps if you have high or fallen arches.

I had it off and on for about 12 years; flareups caused from years of teaching aerobics, playing tennis, and from stand-up training done for 8 hour stretches in cheap flats.

My doctor suggested all of the things that people here are suggesting. I've followed this regimen and have been relatively pain-free for four years. I've also all but given up high-impact sports like running (which I never really liked anyway). I still attend the occasional step aerobics class, but not really with any kind of regularity, so it doesn't bother me. I feel that with cycling/spinning, roller blading, and ice skating that I get more than enough workout without pounding my poor feet to death.

A word about orthotics/heels: You can have orthotics made for varying heel heights. Plantar F was my excuse to give up 3"+ heels, so I had orthotics made for flat to 2". If I wanted to wear something higher, I could have had orthotics made for it.

Rob
09-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I had it for about 2 years. I wore the socks/boots, went to therapy, changed my shoes, nothing worked. My insurance stopped authorizing therapy after 9 weeks because it wasn't doing anything. So I just suffered, until one day I got up and it was gone. No idea why. Never came back. I haven't had it in 8 or 9 years.

I wear mostly Mephistos, Munros (usually with additional arch support), Orthoheels, Merrells, MBTs, and a couple of other brands I see in the Foot Smart catalog. My friend who had it said Naots are good, but they are generally too narrow for me.

Foot Smart catalog has a number of things like the boots, socks, cushioning pads etc.