PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Language Shape How You Think?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Jackie Sparrow
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
In German, generally, good things are feminine, bad things are masculine. :rofl: I'm jokin' :shuffle:

As someone mention, even though some objects are male or female, I don't think of them as being so, it's just their article. I know for non native speakers this is always very hard to learn. So in that way, English is very convenient. What I don't like in English is that animals are referred to as "it".

I don't think sarcasm and the likes are a language thing but a culture thing. English and American humor are quite different for example.

*Jen*
09-01-2010, 10:14 AM
As someone mention, even though some objects are male or female, I don't think of them as being so, it's just their article. I know for non native speakers this is always very hard to learn. So in that way, English is very convenient. What I don't like in English is that animals are referred to as "it".

I don't think sarcasm and the likes are a language thing but a culture thing. English and American humor are quite different for example.

Well if you know the gender of the animal, it becomes he or she...

I agree about the humour. In my flat, there's a British girl, and American girl and an Australian girl. We get on REALLY well, but there are often misunderstandings...

My two favourite of late were when the American girl thought that 'half 7' meant 6 o'clock, and the British girl told us she needed to buy bright pink underwear but was then taken back when we asked her why (even though she brought it up).

And as Australia is so saturated in American culture, but I went to a British uni, I'm constantly being asked to translate something linguistic or cultural (like numpty and chav, which is kind of both).

Jackie Sparrow
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Well if you know the gender of the animal, it becomes he or she...
That's not the same :drama: Also the English "it" for me is for objects. The German "it" is another gender form.

*Jen*
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
That's not the same :drama: Also the English "it" for me is for objects. The German "it" is another gender form.

But that's just too complicated :drama:

Jackie Sparrow
09-01-2010, 12:00 PM
But that's just too complicated :drama: No one said German was easy :P

deltask8er
09-04-2010, 05:24 AM
I had an exactly opposite problem when I took Russian. Since Russian has only three tenses, I always felt I couldn't fully express myself.
BTW, do other slavic languages also lack articles?

I study Polish and Russian once a week (I know, bad idea to study both simultaneously). Polish doesn't seem to have articles, but the various endings of nouns (cases?) is as bewildering as Russian to me.

It also took me a while to figure out that conjugation of verbs can be based on gender. "She fell down" is different from "He fell down", for example. So even questions such as "Would you like something to drink?", you need to be careful how to phrase "you" and "would like".