PDA

View Full Version : Emmy Awards Red Carpet and Ceremony (threads merged)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29

LuckyCharm
08-30-2010, 04:01 AM
They did a great job moving it along (save far Al Pacino's rambling). All future award shows should take note.

It was really one of the most enjoyable award shows I can remember watching, partly because there was very little pointless filler.

Lara
08-30-2010, 04:02 AM
Did LOST not even win a music award (IIRC there was a nomination)? It so deserved that at the very least!

BigB08822
08-30-2010, 04:05 AM
I think I saw titties! :shuffle:

Oops, I forgot I am a bit behind, hahah

Eden
08-30-2010, 04:08 AM
ITA, Jimmy Fallon was a great host! :respec:

Wyliefan
08-30-2010, 04:12 AM
They were determined to end on time tonight. I remember when award shows would run like 2 hours past their time and the networks didn't seem to care.

According to an article I read today, they had to. Something about how they wanted to rebroadcast it starting at 8 on the West Coast (and were told they could add those viewers to their ratings), but they could only do it if the first broadcast ended exactly on time.

dbell1
08-30-2010, 04:18 AM
Next year, they need a trap door that the 'winners' have to stand on. Might hurry along the people who pull out massive notes for a 'surprising' win or if Al gets nominated again. :P

Fallon rocked. :summer:

taf2002
08-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Does Jewel have new boobs?

HeatherC
08-30-2010, 04:26 AM
After catching up on all the stuff that I missed from getting home late, I'm only bummed out to have missed the great opening number and Jane Lynch's speech. I hope one or both of them end up on You Tube or nbc.com sometime soon. One of these days an award show won't annoy the ever loving crap out of me....I hope I'm still alive to see that happen, LOL :lol:

genevieve
08-30-2010, 05:13 AM
According to an article I read today, they had to. Something about how they wanted to rebroadcast it starting at 8 on the West Coast (and were told they could add those viewers to their ratings), but they could only do it if the first broadcast ended exactly on time.
Damn, wish I'd known they were going to replay it - I missed the opening and I could have caught it. Oh well.

manhn
08-30-2010, 05:25 AM
I don't think it was shown again. The Seattle affiliate aired a preview of NBC's new fall shows. I want to really like Undercovers because I am JJ's bitch, but it looks underwhelming. It seems a lot like Mr. and Mrs. Smith (although, I haven't seen that movie either--I am all about Team Aniston, suck it Brangelina!).

genevieve
08-30-2010, 05:29 AM
aw, even that would've been cool. I switched to Big Brother, which was so dull I turned the tv off after 10 minutes

VIETgrlTerifa
08-30-2010, 06:54 AM
I think overall, this year's Emmys ceremony was probably one of the least controversial ones in terms of winners. Many of the favorites won, and the upsets weren't really too surprising in retrospect.

Regarding Nurse Jackie...yes it's very dramatic and deals with some dark material, but at its center is a comedy. It's just a mix of dry, dark, New York, and even physical humor. I thought it was one of the best shows I've seen last year and superior to Glee and this season's The Office (the only other Best Comedy Series nominee that I watched regularly). Edie Falco was the big favorite to win so I was surprised that she was sincerely shocked at her win. Maybe she is that good of an actor.

The pundits said that Kyra Sedwick was going to spoil Julianna Margulies if they were going by the episodes submissions (After five years of nominations, Sedwick finally got an episode good enough to win) rather than buzz and hype. Sedwick, apparently, submitted the best episode of the six women by far, but many felt Margulies was going to win based on the fact that the show was hot and was nominated for Best Drama and voters probably got to see more episodes showcasing her.

I was hoping that Glenn Close would be like Bryan Cranston and Mad Men and win three times in a row and I was really hoping Rose Byrne was going to win who I felt deserved it last year because, like Breaking Bad, Damages won't be at next year's Emmys due to their 4th season not airing in time (I believe it'll have a late 2011 date).

BTW, I think the problem with Lost is that if most of the members of the Television Academy aren't loyal viewers of the show, then the episodes that get submitted might have confused the voters.

Here's an explanation of the submission process:
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-office/the-office-best-comedy-nominee-22378.aspx

There's also a problem in that TV, out of all the mediums save music, has the most choices to choose from, so it's no wonder that there's always going a show with a loyal and vocal fanbase that won't be pleased with the nominees and winners. Add on the weird submission system, and the pressure to reward new shows at the expense of old ones and you get a lot of unrecognized programs.

Norlite
08-30-2010, 11:28 AM
aw, even that would've been cool. I switched to Big Brother, which was so dull I turned the tv off after 10 minutes

I forgot that I could have watched BB at 11 Pacific, after the Emmy show ended. Which for me is odd because every year I'm usually :cheer: on the days it airs.

I agree, it's just that dull this year.

Good Emmy show this year. Jimmy did a fine job!

Auntie
08-30-2010, 12:56 PM
Did I just imagine this or did someone from Top Chef wipe out on their way to the podium?

Angelskates
08-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Where's the list to the winners/cliff notes?