PDA

View Full Version : Query Shark

Wyliefan
08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
If you're interested in learning how to pitch a manuscript to an agent, this (http://queryshark.blogspot.com/) is a great site. And even if you're not, it's a great place to get your snark fix.

This made me laugh out loud:

[Writer:] Kelly is hunted by the Guild for the simple fact of being a necromancer. If that wasn’t bad enough, her zombie friend is threatened by a voodoo priest who will do anything to possess her, even kill Kelly for the privilege.

[Agent:] This is almost reminiscent of the old "walks in to a bar" joke motif: a necromancer, a zombie, and a voodoo priest walk in to a bar.

backspin
08-29-2010, 04:53 PM
Thanks! I'll be submitting a picture book soon so I've bookmarked the link for future reference. Are you a writer too?

Wyliefan
08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Yes, and I have an agent, though I haven't yet published any books. But I can testify that they're a brutal breed! Do everything you can to whip that query into shape before you submit it. And best wishes with that book.

mkats
08-31-2010, 01:10 AM
Thanks! That was very interesting to read - I'm in the process of writing my own query letter for last year's NaNoWriMo.