PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

skatesindreams
08-31-2010, 06:49 PM
I read posts at many boards (most gone now) before being encouraged to post here.
I'm grateful to be a part of this community!

numbers123
08-31-2010, 08:14 PM
iskater.com screwed itself overspending, overpromoting itself.
In 2001 when Worlds was in Vancouver, iskater spent large amounts of money to sponsor some of FanFest. They had a HUGE booth, large expensive display and manned it all hours of the day/evening.

Up to the time that they went belly up, I thought it was making money right and left. The cost of a membership was outrageous and given the rate of inflation between then and now (not to mention the additional operating costs associated with running a website), I would imagine it would have been well over $200.00 per year.

If I could have remembered my original poster name and passwords, I would have been a member here since 2002 when board was born. But obviously I couldn't so I became someone else. :P Sharpie has always run an excellent board

Prancer
08-31-2010, 08:19 PM
iskater also had problems being granted the right to do PBP, which was all they were planning to offer for their membership fee. The PBP wasn't all that awesome when they had it, and when they didn't have that, they were pretty much done.

charisma
08-31-2010, 09:04 PM
iskater also had problems being granted the right to do PBP, which was all they were planning to offer for their membership fee. The PBP wasn't all that awesome when they had it, and when they didn't have that, they were pretty much done.

My favourite PBP was Jennifer Robinson "3 footing" her jump.:lol:

NeilJLeonard
08-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Quite an accomplishment. I hope she scored well for it...;)

NJL

Nomad
08-31-2010, 09:17 PM

Oooh, is there a video of that?

IceJunkie
08-31-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi, everyone!

For those who don't know me, I go back to FSW (not quite the original incarnation, but one of the early ones). I also joined FSU when it started, though my registration got lost along the way, so the date under my name might not show it.

Same name everywhere :D.

I haven't posted much anywhere for several years, but I heard a lot of FSW / SF people were heading here, so I decided to stop by and see what was going on :).

GS
From another FSUer from the Metroplex, Welcome!

LynnW
08-31-2010, 09:22 PM
Quite an accomplishment. I hope she scored well for it...;)

NJL

She should have! She's probably the only one in history to have accomplished this, ahem, feet. :P :encore:

Artemis@BC
08-31-2010, 09:33 PM

Well, Rolf Harris was just back in town. But I don't think he skates.

Allen
08-31-2010, 09:42 PM
She should have! She's probably the only one in history to have accomplished this, ahem, feet. :P :encore:

Well, thank god Jenn Robinson wasn't a centipede because she would have put every foot she had down. I did like her skating, but she did the heaviest two foots I've ever seen.

jlai
08-31-2010, 10:29 PM

Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a forum like this with individual posters offering pbp and a commercial website like iskater doing it. Why couldn't he do it while we can? Or did the law change over time?

kimkom
08-31-2010, 10:44 PM
Well, thank god Jenn Robinson wasn't a centipede because she would have put every foot she had down. I did like her skating, but she did the heaviest two foots I've ever seen.

:rofl: I was was thinking the same thing. If anyone could 3-foot a landing, Jennifer could have. :shuffle:

FTR, I really like Jennifer too. :lol:

Prancer
08-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, what's the difference between a forum like this with individual posters offering pbp and a commercial website like iskater doing it. Why couldn't he do it while we can? Or did the law change over time?

The details are fuzzy for me after all this time--someone else might remember things in more detail--but I believe they had to have accreditation with skating organizations to do coverage because they were a business that was going to make money from their PBP.

Here's a press release about an agreement they had with the ISU early on: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:B9lm-HcGbykJ:findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2001_Dec_10/ai_80677067

I don't remember if it was just Skate Canada that did them in, or if Skate Canada was the first of many to turn them down, but:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qFDLs6R2lBUJ:sports.dir.groups.yaho o.com/group/SkateFans/message/71272

That was really the beginning of the end. I think Paul Martini was really bitter that SC didn't cooperate with him, but I think TV contracts were a problem.

numbers123
08-31-2010, 11:26 PM
IIRC, another one of his big selling points was that he was the expert and could provide valuable insight but I don't think that went over well with his target audience. Some of whom had as much expertise as he did.

Really
08-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Iskater screwed themselves with Skate Canada, which is why they were turned down, according to :sekret: