PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Bev Johnston
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
No, I remember those days. I think I had just started posting on FSW when it got sold to iSkater and all of a sudden it was like, "Whoa, $70 a year just access the site? Screw you, I'm leaving!"

It was a perfect example of how not to do business on the internet. :o

Anyways, welcome to all new members and don't be afraid of the snark. Embrace it! :summer:

Wasn't that soon after the Salt Lake Olympics?

I used to post on RSSIF. I loved "The Strong and the Sequined." Even printed out several chapters to read on vacation.

One of my favorite things about this board besides the skating talk, is the discussion on tv shows. It's much less nutty than some of the threads on TWoP.

Here's hoping that the MITF forum picks up some discussion. That's the only reason I occasionally and rarely went over to SF.

Welcome everyone.

Rob
08-30-2010, 03:53 PM
I started on the old ISU Verrrrrry Rude unmoderated board. When that closed, I went to FSW, and didn't go back when ISU reopened for a bit. I joined old FSWu when it started, but I was used to FSW even though it was somewhat overmoderated and lost track of FSU when it moved. When Icewhateveritwas took over FSW, I rejoined FSU. I signed up for some others including SkatingForums, but I really liked it here so I never really posted anywhere else and lost track of them too. I guess I am a one board kind of a gal.

Or maybe it is because I like the snark. Some people are in your face and you are free to argue back. But if Jayar welcomed you with anything other than "suck it," it would be fake. That is his way of treating you like an old shoe.

skipaway
08-30-2010, 03:53 PM
Welcome everyone. I've been a refugee on another (non-skating) board and it is nice when you can meld easily into your new home.

Artemis@BC
08-30-2010, 05:38 PM
... But if Jayar welcomed you with anything other than "suck it," it would be fake. That is his way of treating you like an old shoe.

Ok, thanks for the context-setting. I feel all warm and fuzzy and part of the gang now. :cool:

milanessa
08-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Ok, thanks for the context-setting. I feel all warm and fuzzy and part of the gang now. :cool:

And sucky, right? ;)

GreenStreet
08-31-2010, 02:28 AM
Hi, everyone!

For those who don't know me, I go back to FSW (not quite the original incarnation, but one of the early ones). I also joined FSU when it started, though my registration got lost along the way, so the date under my name might not show it.

Same name everywhere :D.

I haven't posted much anywhere for several years, but I heard a lot of FSW / SF people were heading here, so I decided to stop by and see what was going on :).

GS

pat c
08-31-2010, 02:31 AM
Well doggies........long time no see. :D

Good to see you.

Really
08-31-2010, 04:46 AM
No, I remember those days. I think I had just started posting on FSW when it got sold to iSkater and all of a sudden it was like, "Whoa, $70 a year just access the site? Screw you, I'm leaving!"FSW was never 'sold'...Adrian got nothing out of it.

manleywoman
08-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I have no idea to whom or why you are telling this story. Many many of us have been around forever and don't need a history lesson.

Actually, it was so long ago, I could use a refresher. I just remember going to FSW one day and getting the big message saying you had to pay for access. I don't recall why or how it ended up that way.

I was never on the earlier one that some people here have mentioned: rss something?

genevieve
08-31-2010, 04:39 PM
I never get tired of FSW lore :lol:

pat c
08-31-2010, 04:40 PM
rssif = recreation sports skating ice figure

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/rec/rec.sport.skating.ice.figure.html

It was the place to read in the middle to late 90's, but as it was a totally unmoderated forum, the trolls took over and pretty well killed it.

Debbie S
08-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Actually, it was so long ago, I could use a refresher. I just remember going to FSW one day and getting the big message saying you had to pay for access. I don't recall why or how it ended up that way.IIRC, it was around 2000 that Adrian turned FSW over to iskater. As Really said, it wasn't a sale, Adrian just got tired of running such a big board. Presumably, iskater was looking for a vehicle to promote its play-by-play, which I assume relied on ad/sponsor revenue in the beginning so traffic was important. It was in 2002 (I think Mem Day weekend in the U.S., b/c I remember returning from a few days of vacation to find FSW locked) that iskater decided to charge for access to FSW. Most people didn't pay the fee so some migrated to FSW and many went to SF (and some to both), which Adrian had started a few months earlier, I guess expecting to have a smaller board, lol.

In an article about iskater's demise in one of the skating mags, Paul Martini said they decided to charge for the board b/c they were losing money on their PBP. I think they started charging for PBP in late 2001 - GPF - and gradually increased their fee structure, but that didn't work so they soon went belly-up and FSW disappeared.

I was never on the earlier one that some people here have mentioned: rss something?It was rssif - I never posted but I lurked occasionally. I think it sort of disappeared - I guess everyone gradually went to either FSU or SF or CAS.

manleywoman
08-31-2010, 06:10 PM
IIRC, it was around 2000 that Adrian turned FSW over to iskater. As Really said, it wasn't a sale, Adrian just got tired of running such a big board. Presumably, iskater was looking for a vehicle to promote its play-by-play, which I assume relied on ad/sponsor revenue in the beginning so traffic was important. It was in 2002 (I think Mem Day weekend in the U.S., b/c I remember returning from a few days of vacation to find FSW locked) that iskater decided to charge for access to FSW. Most people didn't pay the fee so some migrated to FSW and many went to SF (and some to both), which Adrian had started a few months earlier, I guess expecting to have a smaller board, lol.

In an article about iskater's demise in one of the skating mags, Paul Martini said they decided to charge for the board b/c they were losing money on their PBP. I think they started charging for PBP in late 2001 - GPF - and gradually increased their fee structure, but that didn't work so they soon went belly-up and FSW disappeared.

It was rssif - I never posted but I lurked occasionally. I think it sort of disappeared - I guess everyone gradually went to either FSU or SF or CAS.

Thanks!

Patsy
08-31-2010, 06:14 PM
I had already paid for a (short) membership, so after FSW became F$W and subsequently so many people were locked out with no warning at all I remember a weekend of frantically copying threads folks had asked for and sending them out. This was mainly the technical threads--I had no idea what they were talking about, but was glad to be useful before F$W went *poof* totally.

Anita18
08-31-2010, 06:46 PM
FSW was never 'sold'...Adrian got nothing out of it.
That's unfortunate. He should have been rewarded by putting up with such a large board, and especially for the mess i$kater turned it into. :funny:

OMG, blast from the past! This is fun!