PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37

paskatefan
09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I never did (and still don't) get all the Michael Weiss hate. He was a great competitor for the U.S. for many years, and I think the work he does to support young skaters financially is really fantastic.

I guess I'm in the minority, though.:shuffle:

I like Mike too, and appreciate what he has done to support up and coming skaters. We attended those Worlds in Washington, DC, and am appalled that someone would behave that way.

This reminds me of something that happened in October 1998 at a show in Phila, Pa. There was a show called "Skaters' Tribute to Broadway," which was aired on TV a week later. During the retakes, Nancy Kerrigan came out to do her retake for one of her programs. Someone in the audience yelled out "Tonya," which I thought was in very poor taste. Todd Eldredge was also in this show, and he also did a retake (which surprised me, but I guess he must have doubled one of his jumps that was intended as a triple). Well, someone yelled out, "Do the quad!" which I also thought was pretty insensitive. The audience at that show was otherwise very appreciative of the skating cast. I wonder if it was the same person who yelled out those two embarrassing, mean spirited comments.

Nomad
09-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I know that some people hated Weiss because he often talked a big game but failed to deliver. I liked him okay pre-Lisa. I did not like the majority of the programs she did for him.

numbers123
09-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Michael's family was the problem for me. He might be and probably is a great guy, his family not so much. Yes, I did encounter some of them, like the idiot who kept kicking me and accidently spilled something on me when I was cheering for other skaters. And since I didn't take one of the Michael #1 foam fingers, they were very over the top rude. So much so, that I asked the ushers to help in containing the kicking, accidently repeatedly hitting of my head going in and out of their rows. Didn't help but I tried to do something to increase my enjoyment of the event. I suspected that the family wanted to be on TV showing an entire section of Mike supporters and for some of the section to not be 100% behind Michael apparently was too much for them. They had tickets only for Michael's events, whereas my friend and I had all event tickets

Lisa's programs for him were all the same, just different music. And the bringing your children to the K & C (when one of them had chickenpox IIRC) was too much.

I went to a seminar where Lisa was one of the panel members, she was so anti-other skaters who did not have the "skills" of a Michael or Evengi when the CoP was implemented. Trying to say that CoP didn't recognize the athletic skills of a quad attempt, yada, yada, yada.

But to disrupt a skater's skate with purposeful actions or yelling, is quite over the top rude.

Sparks
09-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Wasn't Mike's quad mostly MIA?
:rolleyes: at Lisa.

Badams
09-11-2010, 12:45 AM
I never did (and still don't) get all the Michael Weiss hate. He was a great competitor for the U.S. for many years, and I think the work he does to support young skaters financially is really fantastic.

I was a Weiss uber. It was lonely. I appreciate the respect he is given now and I am disgusted that someone would be proud of attempting to sabotage his performance. Not only is it extremely immature, but he could have been hurt. I wouldn't condone that at any time. No matter who the athlete.

Louise
09-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Mike's family was so obnoxious. I sat a few rows in front of them at 2003 Nationals in Dallas and they were the cattiest, haughtiest, loudest skating family I ever saw. They cheered when competitors fell, and they were laughing like crazy when Weir had his meltdown. I felt that much better the next year when Weir beat a clean Weiss for the title.
I don't think it was necessarily sabotage by whoever screamed for the Mike Pike. Hey, he 'invented' the forward shoot the duck and named it after himself. Why shouldn't people cheer such an innovative move? To cheezeball patriotic music no less.

Allen
09-11-2010, 01:04 AM
Mike's family was so obnoxious. I sat a few rows in front of them at 2003 Nationals in Dallas and they were the cattiest, haughtiest, loudest skating family I ever saw. They cheered when competitors fell, and they were laughing like crazy when Weir had his meltdown. I felt that much better the next year when Weir beat a clean Weiss for the title.

I sat near the Weiss family a couple times. The first time, they were fine, but the second time, not so much. They mean mugged me big time when I cheered for Johnny, Ryan, and Matt. I applauded Michael normally after he skated and someone from the group said, "Oh, you're not going to stand up for the best performance?" I wanted to say "I already did, thanks."

Nomad
09-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Wasn't Mike's quad mostly MIA?
:rolleyes: at Lisa.

It was usually 2-footed IIRC.

MikiAndoFan#1
09-11-2010, 01:13 AM
I wanted to say "I already did, thanks."

Why didn't you say it?! That would've been awesome!

:cool:

vesperholly
09-11-2010, 02:19 AM
I went to a seminar where Lisa was one of the panel members, she was so anti-other skaters who did not have the "skills" of a Michael or Evengi when the CoP was implemented. Trying to say that CoP didn't recognize the athletic skills of a quad attempt, yada, yada, yada.

I never understood the focus on his "quad". Not only was it usually underrotated, two-footed and generally MIA, but he had so many other good things about his skating that COP DID reward. His edge quality was top-notch he was the 1990 figures champion his presentation and spins were very good, etc. Jumping was not his strongest point, but it seems like since jumping is "masculine", that's what they focused on. :duh:

Bev Johnston
09-13-2010, 04:41 PM
I never understood the focus on his "quad". Not only was it usually underrotated, two-footed and generally MIA, but he had so many other good things about his skating that COP DID reward. His edge quality was top-notch he was the 1990 figures champion his presentation and spins were very good, etc. Jumping was not his strongest point, but it seems like since jumping is "masculine", that's what they focused on. :duh:

His back cross-overs were a little strange - he didn't appear to use his whole blade or something.

Anyway, I was always an Eldredge uber, but I can certainly appreciate the hard work it takes to make it to Nationals at any level. Maybe Michael wasn't my favorite, but I would never try to disrupt his performance or poo-poo his accomplishments. He was a great skater and there's no denying it. His style just wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

SharonDudd
09-14-2010, 03:21 AM
Just a quick note and shoutout to Mrs. Redboots and skating hubby who recently won the GOLD MEDAL at a competition. She had posted photos on facebook and it was quite impressive, I must say!! I'll have to urge her to come over and visit here. We chat frequently on facebook.

numbers, honey you are not old! Plus think of all the fun you are getting to have now being a grandma!!

Being a (prior to Lisa as choreographer, that is..) Michael Weiss fan was/is/can be difficult but I agree that he has blossomed as a pro. But also any program that Brian Wright choreographed may he be resting in peace as pure genious, IIHO. MW did not invent the "Shoot The Duck" move, it's an OOOLLLLDDDD Ice Capades-ish move. I know I still have at least one or two different tapes of the competitions where Dick Buttons (who just grates on my last nerve...shut up and let them skate!) is yapping non-stop about the move and I have to rewind to even catch the move! No one can concentrate with your constant chitter chatter!!) But that's just me and I know there are people who revere the old guy...but I'm really old and this guy was skating before I was born!!

purple skates
09-14-2010, 03:35 AM

No. I agree with you. Just not vocal about it.

MaryMotorMouth
09-14-2010, 04:57 AM
Haven't been here nor read in a very long time. This thread was quite nostalgic as I stumbled upon it today. Seems some things have changed but most is very familiar. The posts about the former forums and subsequent nutters had me laughing out loud! Thanks for that! So wanted to post my memories of some of the finer subjects. Must now quickly search the site to see who is still an active member!

flyingsit
09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Right? Lisa seems like a nice person, but wow, she was not an effective choreographer. I think if they had not been so hung up on the masculine choreography and just tried to do good choreography, it obviously would have been better. If you are masculine, you don't necessarily have to have specifically masculine choreography...and ps, this is figure skating, who cares?

Lisa, at the time at least, was NOT such a nice person. I don't know these days, but back then she was not pleasant to be around in the least.