PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37

skatingfan5
09-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I have a picture by that limo. :PI bet you wish it were a picture of Plushy by that limo. :D

PrincessLeppard
09-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I have a picture with him, too. But not by the limo. :D

numbers123
09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
I am also a nonfan of Michael Weiss, but I've never attempted to sabotage his programs. He didn't really need anyone's help to do so.

I, um, did have to really hold myself back to refrain from standing up and cheering when he fell on the triple lutz in his SP at Worlds 2003. :shuffle:

Nope - didn't need anyone's help to sabotage his programs, just needed Lisa to choreograph them.

And you were not alone in wanting to cheer when he fell, but I did restrain myself. It was that damn hynopis stuff, the limo and the jabbering that made me want to do that. And the signs around the arena, which I am not sure how they got there since Plushy's and others' signs were torn down.

Norlite
09-10-2010, 09:01 PM
:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

That was my longtime friend (who is a fellow poster on this board). It's not the quad though, its the ridiculous "Mike Pike" we screamed for... you probably never heard me though, he was the one gifted with a shriek that would rattle the arena foundation. I do think Mike fell on the flip once or twice after we screamed for this "specially-branded" shoot the duck but I don't think you can attribute it to my friend screeching, since he fell on the flip after the Mike Pike at competitions when we weren't there ;). And we never yelled "go Mike!" we just shrieked "whoooooooo!!!!!!" :rollin:

We did far more offensive things just scream during his stupid shoot the duck. You'd have been really uncomfortable, numbers. ;)

God, those were fun days! rssif trolls, crashing hotel parties, goddess signs for Sissy Krick and 14-hour days at the rink during Euros/Worlds/Nationals. It sucks that I had to grow up into a middle aged responsible adult at the same time the ISU had to go f-up the scoring system ... so it's all less fun now. I miss those days terribly.

:encore:

I actually remember that. And who it was. ;)

It was audible on TV and we did discuss it here. Lots.

purple skates
09-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't know, but if you can believe wikipedia, shoe tossing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing) can mean a variety of things (including losing one's virginity, evidently). :wideeyes: :lol:

:lol: We have a shoe tree in our area.

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of the throwing the shoe at Pres. Bush incident.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7783325.stm

Nomad
09-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Nope - didn't need anyone's help to sabotage his programs, just needed Lisa to choreograph them...

:lol:

Allen
09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I have a picture with him, too. But not by the limo. :D

How bout a picture with him IN the limo? :grope:

Nope - didn't need anyone's help to sabotage his programs, just needed Lisa to choreograph them.

Right? Lisa seems like a nice person, but wow, she was not an effective choreographer. I think if they had not been so hung up on the masculine choreography and just tried to do good choreography, it obviously would have been better. If you are masculine, you don't necessarily have to have specifically masculine choreography...and ps, this is figure skating, who cares?

gkelly
09-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Well, she did the 1998 Beethoven program, didn't she? That one worked for me.

vesperholly
09-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Right? Lisa seems like a nice person, but wow, she was not an effective choreographer. I think if they had not been so hung up on the masculine choreography and just tried to do good choreography, it obviously would have been better. If you are masculine, you don't necessarily have to have specifically masculine choreography...and ps, this is figure skating, who cares?

Did she choreograph his "Mulan" freeskate in 1999? Perhaps that was before her time. I always liked that program. Also his 98 SP to Jesse Cook, but I couldn't find a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFCEl12zNyc&feature=related

gkelly
09-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Did she choreograph his "Mulan" freeskate in 1999? Perhaps that was before her time.

I think so.

Also his 98 SP to Jesse Cook, but I couldn't find a video.

That might have been the last one Brian Wright did for him?

chipso1
09-10-2010, 10:23 PM
I never did (and still don't) get all the Michael Weiss hate. He was a great competitor for the U.S. for many years, and I think the work he does to support young skaters financially is really fantastic.

I guess I'm in the minority, though.:shuffle:

Allen
09-10-2010, 10:24 PM
I never did (and still don't) get all the Michael Weiss hate. He was a great competitor for the U.S. for many years, and I think the work he does to support young skaters financially is really fantastic.

I guess I'm in the minority, though.:shuffle:

I really respect the work he is doing now, but I just didn't care for his skating in general.

chipso1
09-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I really respect the work he is doing now, but I just didn't care for his skating in general.

Yeah, I understand. I was referring more to the people who would cheer when he fell in competition or yell things during his program in hopes that he would lose focus and fall. That's pretty shitty, IMO.

I do like his commentary style, though; I thought he did a great job last season for Universal Sports, and I hope we get to hear more from him. He's certainly easier to listen to than Scott Hamilton.

Garden Kitty
09-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I think that Michael is one of the skaters who has really blossomed as a pro. Hid programs at SOI always get a great reaction, and he really gives 110%. He seems more relaxed and like he's having a good time on the ice, and the audiences seem to respond. I also admire how hard he and Lisa work at putting on the show to help give back to the young skaters.

Allen
09-10-2010, 10:49 PM
He's certainly easier to listen to than Scott Hamilton.

Isn't everyone? :slinkaway