PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

AJ Skatefan
09-10-2010, 04:46 AM
^That was Nationals 2002 in L.A. I still have my stuffed yellow Chevy logo - I didn't throw it at anyone!

We joked about the dog toys being thrown on the ice. That's what they looked like.

zaphyre14
09-10-2010, 12:18 PM
The sponsor stuffies were better than the 6.0 cardboard paddles/fans that were handed out one year pre-IJS. People threw those on the ice; if they landed with the printing down, the white cardboard was nearly invisible on the ice and hard for the sweepers to pick up. Plus the fans were too light to fly well, but people threw them anyway regardless of where they went. Not a well-thought-out promotion.

Dallas Nationals had the little armadillos with the baby in the tummy. Those were cute - and original, I thought.

sk8pics
09-10-2010, 01:40 PM
I still have my stuffed Chevy logo pillow. My cat Callie used to like to drag it around. It was about as big as she was at that point.:rolleyes:

Sparks
09-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I gave my Chevy toy to my dog and he promptly tore it up. That's what he thought of it...

Bev Johnston
09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
In 2004 it was the stuffed red Chevy cars. I still have mine and use it in my learn to skate classes. I really wish I had taken more than one, as it's very popular with the little boys. They sometimes fight over it!

Sassafras
09-10-2010, 02:32 PM
I took mine to the ice rink to use in Parent/Tot classes (the little kids get to throw stuffed toys then go retrieve them) and eventually one of the kids took it home.

BreakfastClub
09-10-2010, 05:02 PM
And I was at one competition where a Michael Weiss NON FAN yelled a Go Michael or something like that just before he was to do a quad attempt. The arena was a little quiet at the time and the non fan sitting in one of the few couple of rows could be hear all of the lower bowl seating. And the Non Fan did applaud the fall. As a nonfan of Michael Weiss myself, I was very uncomfortable with the show of poor sportsmanship.

:rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

That was my longtime friend (who is a fellow poster on this board). It's not the quad though, its the ridiculous "Mike Pike" we screamed for... you probably never heard me though, he was the one gifted with a shriek that would rattle the arena foundation. I do think Mike fell on the flip once or twice after we screamed for this "specially-branded" shoot the duck but I don't think you can attribute it to my friend screeching, since he fell on the flip after the Mike Pike at competitions when we weren't there ;). And we never yelled "go Mike!" we just shrieked "whoooooooo!!!!!!" :rollin:

We did far more offensive things just scream during his stupid shoot the duck. You'd have been really uncomfortable, numbers. ;)

God, those were fun days! rssif trolls, crashing hotel parties, goddess signs for Sissy Krick and 14-hour days at the rink during Euros/Worlds/Nationals. It sucks that I had to grow up into a middle aged responsible adult at the same time the ISU had to go f-up the scoring system ... so it's all less fun now. I miss those days terribly.

:encore:

manleywoman
09-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Wow BreakfastClub. And you're proud of this?

There are a lot of skaters I don't like, but I would NEVER sabotage their programs. They work hard to get there and deserve to be treated respectfully.

NancyNC
09-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Entire post snipped

Wow. I'm gobsmacked. Not just by what you did, but that you seem pleased about it. :wideeyes::confused:

Allen
09-10-2010, 06:54 PM
entire quote

Oh my god, I've totally sat near you and your friend at a couple competitions, I think :). I never knew whether to laugh or :rolleyes:

PrincessLeppard
09-10-2010, 07:55 PM
I am also a nonfan of Michael Weiss, but I've never attempted to sabotage his programs. He didn't really need anyone's help to do so.

I, um, did have to really hold myself back to refrain from standing up and cheering when he fell on the triple lutz in his SP at Worlds 2003. :shuffle:

Allen
09-10-2010, 08:08 PM
I, um, did have to really hold myself back to refrain from standing up and cheering when he fell on the triple lutz in his SP at Worlds 2003. :shuffle:

You're not the only one :saint:

Sparks
09-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I am also a nonfan of Michael Weiss, but I've never attempted to sabotage his programs. He didn't really need anyone's help to do so.

That's okay. I did it for you in the privacy of my own home.
:slinkaway

skatingfan5
09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
I, um, did have to really hold myself back to refrain from standing up and cheering when he fell on the triple lutz in his SP at Worlds 2003. :shuffle::lynch: (Up until that fall he was skating very well -- as well if not better than Plushenko, infact -- and I was curious to see if the judges would have enough guts to mark the actual skating and not the skater. Too much PR nonsense and hype and that limo surely doomed him :P-- seeing Mike falling on the lutz was as :wideeyes: as it would have been to see Kwan falling on her change-edge spiral.)

PrincessLeppard
09-10-2010, 08:16 PM
I have a picture by that limo. :P