PDA

View Full Version : SkatingForums refugees

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

rfisher
09-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Uncle Dick. The consumate professional. :cheer2: He probably whispered "suck it up Hamilton and quit being a baby."

manleywoman
09-09-2010, 08:05 PM
My favorite was when Scott Hamilton got a bouquet of flowers right in the eye, stems first, and Dick Button went right on interviewing him while Scott cupped his streaming eye and said, "Ah! That hit me right in the eye!"

"Yes and what did you think of your performance?"

:lol::lol::lol:

:lol: Links to video please! I missed that one.

sk8er1964
09-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Someone threw a shoe after Mao's SP at Worlds 2009. I thought that was very disrespectful.

:lynch:

Isn't that a major insult in some cultures?

At the Adult Competitions in Europe, people throw chocolate to the skaters. :)

I usually throw chocolate now. Beanies were getting too expensive!

A couple of years ago at the US Adult Nationals, someone threw a bag of Jelly Bellys to the skater who competed right before me. The bag broke and jelly beans slid all over the ice. So here's the skater who just finished (and who is winded, of course), me, and the little sweeper girl kneeling on the ice trying to gather them all up. The white ones were hard to find!

Ironically, that was one of the most relaxed free skates I've had at AN. No time to be nervous! :lol:

JerseySlore
09-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Isn't that a major insult in some cultures?

Isn't that insulting in every culture?:huh:
I can't imagine "great performance, here's a shoe" being acceptable in any culture.

Prancer
09-09-2010, 08:50 PM
:lol: Links to video please! I missed that one.

I don't know if there's a video anywhere; I just remember it vividly. It was right after one of his Nationals wins--I'm thinking it was the last one, but I'm not sure.

Whoever threw the bouquet was standing over the KnC and called his name or something as she tossed it, so he had just looked up. It was so like something I would do--"Hey, Scott, you are so aweso--oh, crap!"

skatingfan5
09-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Isn't that insulting in every culture?:huh:
I can't imagine "great performance, here's a shoe" being acceptable in any culture.I don't know, but if you can believe wikipedia, shoe tossing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing) can mean a variety of things (including losing one's virginity, evidently). :wideeyes: :lol:

JerseySlore
09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
I don't know, but if you can believe wikipedia, shoe tossing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe_tossing) can mean a variety of things (including losing one's virginity, evidently). :wideeyes: :lol:

:rofl:
Things like this make me regret never taking anthropology class in college.

Anita18
09-10-2010, 12:06 AM
My favorite was when Scott Hamilton got a bouquet of flowers right in the eye, stems first, and Dick Button went right on interviewing him while Scott cupped his streaming eye and said, "Ah! That hit me right in the eye!"

"Yes and what did you think of your performance?"

:lol::lol::lol:
OMG!

Theatregirl1122
09-10-2010, 01:03 AM
Things like this make me regret never taking anthropology class in college.

I took several. But we never learned about shoe tossing. Clearly I should let my prof know that this is critical information.

vesperholly
09-10-2010, 02:49 AM
I always liked the Nationals (2003?) where the LOC banned bringing in things to throw, and handed out stuffed yellow Chevy logos ... which promptly all ended up on the ice. :rofl: Obnoxious or marketing genius?!

love skating
09-10-2010, 03:15 AM
^That was Nationals 2002 in L.A. I still have my stuffed yellow Chevy logo - I didn't throw it at anyone!

chipso1
09-10-2010, 03:35 AM
I always liked the Nationals (2003?) where the LOC banned bringing in things to throw, and handed out stuffed yellow Chevy logos ... which promptly all ended up on the ice. :rofl: Obnoxious or marketing genius?!

This year it was plush Smuckers strawberries. I saw many people get beamed in the heads with them...:P

numbers123
09-10-2010, 03:35 AM

and then there were the state farm bears another year. I always wondered if those sponsors created stuffies were recycled. You know they would get thrown out on ice tonight, the skaters had one saved and gave the rest back to the sponsors for distribution the next day?

I think I still have my state farm bear

nubka
09-10-2010, 03:44 AM
LOL. I registered at PITI, read for 5 minutes, didn't like it and didn't come back. 1 or 2 years later, when I had totally forgotten about it, I got a mail telling me I was banned because lurkers ans spys from other boards weren't welcome :D. Talk about being parano´d. I thought I was the only "spy" they had smoked out :saint:

What does PITI stand for? :confused:

PrincessLeppard
09-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Pain in the Ice, a gossipy message board. (so I've heard...never actually went there.) it's now defunct, I believe.